Insurance

wannaBstuntin

So here's the backstory for those who don't know:

I went to South Carolina for the summer meet. I drove 14 hours to get there and picked up Sarah (delsolsweetie) when I got there.

I let her drive to Myrtle Beach from there. Some kid crashed into us.

My insurance company recovered the money from the kid's insurance company, but added Sarah to my policy.

Now they think they can charge me 3 times as much.

I told them she lives 800 miles away, so there's no reason she should be on my policy.

But they won't remove her unless I give them proof that she was insured at the time of the accident.

Unfortunately, the police report only tells us that the driver of the vehicle at the time of the accident was Sarah. Liberty Mutual is requesting proof of her coverage in order to remove her from your policy. Please provide a copy of her insurance policy that would have been in effect at the time of the accident. If we have proof that she had her own insurance at the time of the accident we can remove her from your policy.

I don't get it...it's settled, everyone has their money. But they're still insisting on adding someone to my policy that I've only met once and lives 800 miles away.

My policy gets renewed in a week (which is when they're gonna start charging me triple). What should I do?

tell them their f'in stupid

i can send you my insurance information if they are not going to try calling my insurance place and trying to get money too..

have you looked around and seen if you can get it cheaper elsewhere anyway?

I just wrote the guy another angry email asking wtf the problem is?

They have their money. I have my money. I don't know why they're being so stubborn.

Take your business elsewhere.

Suggestions?

I'm so stressed out right now. I feel like the dude in your sig Nate.

I'm just finished a huge final project, and I have two final exams tomorrow. And worrying about this.

I'm at the point where I'd rather sell my car altogether than pay insurance prices like this.

Insurance will cost more per month than my car payments do. $600 a month going just towards paying for my car, not to mention gas, or any other bills.

I don't know how All State is now, but when I first started driving, a friend's mom (and family friend) was an agent for them and said they have among the highest rates.

Price around online or call up some companies, then call yours up and let them know that the issue was resolved as you say and state your case. If they continue to give you problems (and you've been successful in finding better coverage elsewhere), then let them know that you may have to take your business elsewhere. There's a slight chance they will continue to press on, but more than likely they'll cave and let it go.

Lastly, don't let people you've just met drive your car.

yah because I told the guy to hit us?

no matter who had been driving we would have been hit... so it should be dont let anyone drive your car.. it had nothing to do with we hadnt met before

Technically, no, no one else should drive a car that they're not on the insurance policy for. However, 99.9% of people do regardless.

Letting people you hardly know drive your car is just irresponsible, though. Any time you get in a car, you run the risk of something happening, regardless of who's driving. However, it can easily become a mess when something happens when someone else is driving the car. In that situation, I'd rather the person be someone I know well.

I won't get into the "it would have happened no matter who was driving" aspect. There's no use getting hung up on the "what if's" in life, but every scenario has one.

I drove 14 hours to get there

I was extremely tired. She would have been the better driver at the time, by far.

But yes, I realize this situation (Sarah added to my coverage) wouldn't have happened if I had been the one in the driver's seat.

I sent the guy's manager one last email telling him the entire situation and told him if it's not resolved by tomorrow, I will begin looking elsewhere for coverage.

I use State Farm.. there rates SUCKED for me, but its why "my mom drives my car most of the time" now. Gotta love paying isurence for someone who has had one ticket in 30ish years of driving.

As far as yoru suitation.. find a new company. Its a PITA, but would be something i would do asap.

I use State Farm.. there rates SUCKED for me, but its why "my mom drives my car most of the time" now. Gotta love paying isurence for someone who has had one ticket in 30ish years of driving.

As far as yoru suitation.. find a new company. Its a PITA, but would be something i would do asap.

I use State Farm and can't stop saying how awesome they are. $85/month for 3 vehicles, 1 of which has full coverage.

Ryan, there should be a way for Sarah to be removed from your insurance. If not, then the obvious solution is for you 2 to get married and drop your rates. :devil:

My insurance company recovered the money from the kid's insurance company, but added Sarah to my policy.

What it sounds like is that your policy did not have provisions for unlisted drivers. You company added Sarah and provided back coverage to pay for your damages. Afterwards, they subrogated the kid's insurance company.

It sounds like it is too late, once an insurance comany decides they are going to be a duche, they usually commit.

In hinesight, what you should have done is filed what is known as a "third-party claim" with the kids insurance. Then, you should have contacted your insurance company to report the loss, without filing a "first-party claim". You should've said, "Hey guys, wanted you to know I had an accident, nobody was hurt and I want to go through the other company. Have a nice day."

Time to switch insurance. I work in the insurance industry, take it from me, you did nothing wrong. It is dangerous to let other people drive your car, but not as dangerous as driving tired. It is your right to allow "whoever you chose" drive your car, and your insurance company is obligated to provide coverage as agreed to by your policy agreement.

What they should have done is deny your claim and ask that you pursue the tortfeasor on your own since your policy does not contain provisions for unlisted drivers and an unlisted driver was driving your vehicle. Instead they took the duche route and saw a way to jack up your rates.

yup, Ryan, your policy probably didn't have something about someone else driving it...they usually do this separately (different form and signature)

I'd say Sarah should just send her proof that she was covered at that time to Ryan and this case will be done :D

if not, get all-in-one online quote from something like www.aisinsurance.com...

gl...hugs :)

Archived