B18c5 block different from B18c1? (besides pistons?)

This guy has an ITR block for $500.

http://www.tennspeed.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6156

I was thinking to get it. (I happen to have an ITR head laying around)

Besides higher comp pistons and oil pump, are there any differences in the ITR block vs the b18c1?

If not, I may just use the itr head on my b18c1 block and sell my gsr head.

Crank, rods, maincaps/girdle.

But they have the same stroke. In what ways are the crank and rods advantageous?

Overall, what's the advantage of an ITR block over a 97 GSR block?

But they have the same stroke. In what ways are the crank and rods advantageous?

Overall, what's the advantage of an ITR block over a 97 GSR block?

good question dude. im not shedding any info on this since i dont really know b-series very well. but im sure there is like a B-series.org web site like there is the site for D-series..just google for it.

Crank has more counterweights so it weighs more. Rods are balanced and have different rod bolts, and different bearings.

For the average street setup, you won't notice a difference, at all.

From what I have confirmed from the years of building.. The blocks themselves are identical. The cranks are the same stroke but the type-r is a couple pounds lighter. The rods are also a little lighter. The piston are different of course.. more dome on them than the GSR which the USDM ones have a slight dish and the JDM gsr ones are flat. The oil pump is different when you compare then to the earlier non vtec pumps. They are the same from vtec pumps. The head on a type are is a b16 cast with some port work from the factory. The valves in the intake are different as are the exhaust springs. The cams are different and intake manifold. The headers are tubular compared to the stock cast from the gsr. Honestly i would just stick with the gsr head.. more advantages

ITR crank isn't lighter, neither are the rods. Blocks are not identical as the ITR has a different girdle. ITR in/ex springs are different, IN valves are different, ex valves are the same.

they have the same block girdle gsr and type r. Im staring at two blocks that i have in my garage. the crank is lighter and the rods are also. if you dont believe get your gram scale out and measure them. the exhaust valves are the same but the exhaust springs are different as some are only single valve spring compared to the dual of the type r to take the ramp speed of the cams.

That would be kind of hard as the only sets of C5 rods I have right now have pistons mounted on them, and one is already in the shortblock. I've handled enough of both to know the ITR crank isn't lighter and neither are the rods. I never said the springs were the same.

Archived