oil leaking from spark plug tube

fearless602

Alright, I have a 88 crx dx with a D15 all stock. I bought the car and the head gasket was bad, I took the head in to have it milled and the couldnt do it because the cam housing was chewed up. I then bought a different head from a machine shop. So yesterday i put it all back together and now it is leaking oil from the #3 spark plug cylinder. It is not leaking from the top, it seems as if it is some how filling up from the piston and pushing it in through the bottom of the spark plug (I watched it fill up), and it fills up quite fast, in about 30 seconds before the plug is completley submerged in oil. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you could tell me a solution. My guess is a bad oil ring on the piston, it is leaking way too fast to be a valve seal and it got the head from a machine shop so I dont think it is a cracked head because they told me they do preassure tests and all that good stuff. I just dont want to go ripping the motor apart (again) if I dont have to. Any info will help, thanks

the thing is, is even if it is bad threads on the spark plug it is a bigger issue because there shouldnt be oil in the cylinder. I watched it and the oil is coming in from under where the tube seals up

Then you have a bad tube seal. You realize that there is oil flowing around in that head...right?

The spark plug area has 2 seperate gaskets per plug hole. There's the upper one that goes just before the valve cover goes on and there's the lower one which is under the rocker assembly. Try replacing all of the upper gaskets along with a new Valve Cover Gasket. If it's still leaking, you'll need to pull the whole rocker assembly and install new lower gaskets. All of them come in a "valve cover" gasket kit...includes both upper and lower spark plug gaskets and the VC gasket.

it has new upper and lower tube seals. i removed the valve cover and the spark plug boot, shined a flashlight in the tube and watched the tube fill up with oil from around the spark plug. the oil is coming from the cylinder itself. i can see where the lower tube seal is and the oil is coming from under that. the piston is somehow getting oil on it and it is pushing oil up past the spark plug. i know this sounds weird, i am a mechanic myself and i am lost :)

Archived