Are there defined stages of p&p'ing heads? exmpl: stage 1, 2,

So this guy says he has a ported and polished b18c1 head for sale.

I asked him how involved the p&p job was and says "stage 3".

Does that mean anything specific? Or is it just what the shop called it when they charged him for it? He doesn't really know much about it.

Whats his name? I'll tell you if its good or not.

With the amount of business they get, most have to work weekends. The good porters will do 40-50 heads a year, B series heads, not including the other series. A full port takes about 40 hours...

Whats his name? I'll tell you if its good or not.

With the amount of business they get, most have to work weekends. The good porters will do 40-50 heads a year, B series heads, not including the other series. A full port takes about 40 hours...

40 hours at $60 an hour sounds like pretty good money to me.

40 hours at $60 an hour sounds like pretty good money to me.

That's ridiculous. Who's gonna pay $2400 for a port job? Maybe a couple serious race teams, but they wouldn't have steady work.

Hell you can get a brand new ITR head for less than that.

I think this guy said he paid like $600 including all new valvetrain. Maybe he just shined it up and called it a "stage 3 port and polish".

In any case, I'm gonna call him fist thing Monday morning.

Oh, and SSR, have you heard of Mike's Speed Shop in Murfreesboro TN? Supposedly, Mike himself did the work. I've never heard of the place.

That's ridiculous. Who's gonna pay $2400 for a port job? Maybe a couple serious race teams, but they wouldn't have steady work.

Hell you can get a brand new ITR head for less than that.

I think this guy said he paid like $600 including all new valvetrain. Maybe he just shined it up and called it a "stage 3 port and polish".

In any case, I'm gonna call him fist thing Monday morning.

Oh, and SSR, have you heard of Mike's Speed Shop in Murfreesboro TN? Supposedly, Mike himself did the work. I've never heard of the place.

I was quoted 600 or so for what I want done to my head. A mild p&p and a 3 angle valve job.

Never heard of it.

Intake ports should not have ANY polish to them, they should be dull and rough.

$300 gets you a good valve job and a very minor bowl port from one of the good guys...

$2,400+ is a good price for full hand work. Only way to get over 300CFM. CNC will get you within a few CFM of 300, but not at or over it, and it runs $1,300. Even just a B16 or GSR head with a competition valve job and bowl port will severely outflow a stock ITR head.

You'd be suprised at the number of people doing full hand ports. I sell about 7 of the full hand RM ports a year, and I'm only one dealer for one head guy.

a street port would cost you approx 1000 bucks. SSR , as always , just likes hearing himself talk and takes it to the extreme everytime. they port match the intake manny , smooth any casting errors , polish the exhaust ports , and swirl the intake ports. theres lots of info out there on this. the stages have to do with how much air in CFM the head can flow.

What are you talking about cranny? There are no universal stages for headwork. Most of the bug guys don't even have stages.

A street port is a bowl port, chamber work, and valve job. That is pretty much a given at any of the good guys. NONE of the good guys swirl the intake. $550 msrp.

A CNC port is CNC intake/exhaust port, CNC chambers, valve job. MSRP is $1,300.

oh yeah, I called the shop Monday and the guy was like "we don't port heads heads" and I was like "this kid said you ported his head" and he was all like "he must have lied to you, we only do valve jobs" and so I called the kid and he had already sold it. Oh well.

street porting , for my definition , is port matching , casting imperfection removal , polishing the exhaust runners , and swirling the intakes to desired grit. your basic street port does not involve touching the bowls or chambers at all.

me and SSR on the track? hed get smoked , lol. but i have an advantage , i dont have a D series , lol.

street porting , for my definition , is port matching , casting imperfection removal , polishing the exhaust runners , and swirling the intakes to desired grit. your basic street port does not involve touching the bowls or chambers at all.

me and SSR on the track? hed get smoked , lol. but i have an advantage , i dont have a D series , lol.

hey cranny it's been awhile.... how's the projects... and how fast is your car in the 1/4 mile?

whats up horse , long time buddy. always projects man , its never ending. not all as exciting as others but , its all work for me anyways , lol. how fast is my car in the 1/4 eh , well , ive never run the 1/4 with it yet. i know thats sad but , nice drag strips arent plentiful where i am. but if i bit the track for an ideal run as it sit right now all motor , id say id run at least a 14 flat. when i get my setup i have for next summer ready , ill be in 11's easy. maybe better. that is if i get everything i need , slicks included.

So going by your definition (which is just a basic clean up, not a port by my definition) where are you paying a grand for that?

You'd smoke me on the strip, but not on a track.

Archived