b20B, b20Z, JDM b20

alright guys, there are 3 dif kinds of b20's maybe more actually and i need to know which one is the right one to get. i am doing a b20 turbo project the very beg, of next year. but i read somewhere that one of the b20 blocks holds up really well. now i know alot of u r thinking dude b20 turbo-bad idea. NO ITS NOT. my buddies running a b20 turbo with a full race kit pushing 7 PSI and running almost 300 to the ground. so yea its a good idea. o and hes never had probs. but i need to know if u guys know which would be the best for boost or which would be a bad idea.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i asked him and he said hes honestly not sure he just bout the b20 and put it in his car. yea thats what i was looking at was the b20B i saw the comp was 8.8:1 and i figured thatd be best to put in there. i was looking at blockgaurds then i asked him what he had done internally and if he was running a blockgaurd. he told me no internals and no blockgaurd. hes just running a b20 with a full race kit and a GT25R turbo. so... i mean i guess the b20B is what ima have to go for. i found one for cheap so theres my motor and answer.

well i asked him and he said hes honestly not sure he just bout the b20 and put it in his car. yea thats what i was looking at was the b20B i saw the comp was 8.8:1 and i figured thatd be best to put in there. i was looking at blockgaurds then i asked him what he had done internally and if he was running a blockgaurd. he told me no internals and no blockgaurd. hes just running a b20 with a full race kit and a GT25R turbo. so... i mean i guess the b20B is what ima have to go for. i found one for cheap so theres my motor and answer.

Without a blockguard, that engine is not long for this world.

alright. well ill put that on my list of things to get then. i know there not too expensive i found some on ebay for like 70 bucks. so i can handle that. now my only prob is findind somebody to tune it cause the guy that was going to died in his sleep last week. so now i gotta get it towed somewhere cause im not sure of anywhere close by.

either the b20b or b20z can be used for boost. low boost. if you have a good tuner and a set amount of boost you want to run example 10 psi.... i would go with the b20z for the added compression. it will help with spool a little quicker. otherwise go with the b20b which is more easier to obtain. as far as the block guards are concerned, i do not install one unless i am boring the block out. when installing the block guard it distorts the cylinder where it is places causing issues with cracked sleeves, broken rings, and collasped pistons. The b20 has a weaker sleeve than any of the b18's cause of the siamesed sleeves where the b18's. if i was building a turbo street car on street tires i would use a b16... just my opinion

Archived