Woman finds $97k and returns it.

TLontheDL

Honest woman finds $97K in restroom, returns it

Tue Dec 9, 9:14 pm ET

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – A Murfreesboro woman says she returned $97,000 she claims to have found in a Cracker Barrel restroom, but police said Tuesday they have no report of the find. Billie Watts, 75, told The Daily News Journal that she discovered the money inside a tapestry bag hanging from a hook on a stall door last Thursday.

But five days later, the money and its anonymous owner remain something of a mystery in the community, where police said that they have no report of the find.

While digging through the bag to figure out its owner, Watts says she found a bundle of neatly stacked $1,000 bills.

Watts said she and her husband took the money home, but later called the restaurant back and asked if there was a lost-and-found department. She was told yes, and left her number.

A woman called about 15 minutes later and verified she was the owner by identifying pictures left in the bag. Watts returned the bag to the owner, whom she described as an elderly woman, but said she does not have the woman's last name or phone number.

Watts said the woman told her that the money came from selling her home and her belongings and that she was going to start a new life in Florida with her son. Watts says the woman offered to pay her $1,000, but Watts refused it.

A manager of the Cracker Barrel restaurant, Bill Shupp, said no employees actually saw the money or the elderly owner.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081210/ap_on_...d_honest_patron

Wow......I personally would probably give it back. I definitely wouldn't have turned down the 1,000 bucks. Seriously, keeping it would have ruined that old lady's (the actual owner's) life. It was literally everything she had...she'd be on the streets without that money.

Granted, she's an idiot for carrying that around in cash, but she still doesn't deserve to lose everything she's worked for her entire life.

Wow......I personally would probably give it back. I definitely wouldn't have turned down the 1,000 bucks. Seriously, keeping it would have ruined that old lady's (the actual owner's) life. It was literally everything she had...she'd be on the streets without that money.

Granted, she's an idiot for carrying that around in cash, but she still doesn't deserve to lose everything she's worked for her entire life.

Agreed. There are too many selfish people in this world. Everyone just wants something handed to them, so the majority of people would keep the money... thus why such an honest act would even make headlines (aside from the part about no employees seeing the money or the money's rightful owner... but I don't find that all that odd, I wouldn't want a bunch of strangers knowing that I was carrying around $97k either :laugh:).

It is ridiculous to carry around that amount of money, and ridiculous that whomever purchase the house would do so with cash (I really can't imagine the woman cashing a cashier's check and then carrying it around with her :laugh:).

that cracker barrel is like 30 minutes from my house. Why couldn't it have been MEEE!!!!????

The thing that gets to me is not only is she carrying it around in cash, but is careless enough to leave it in a bathroom and forget about it!!! :o

That sh!t would have to be handcuffed to my wrist or something if I had to carry it. Maybe she had alzheimer's. :crazy:

+1

I'd have a hard time giving all that money back but I couldn't live with myself to take someone elses savings, ...the $1,000, on the other hand, is a willing gift. :thumbsup:

I'll be straight up, I would probably keep the money seeing as it could go really far. A lot of people say they would give it back but once they have it in their hands I think they might change their tune.

I'll be straight up, I would probably keep the money seeing as it could go really far. A lot of people say they would give it back but once they have it in their hands I think they might change their tune.

Actually the majority of the posters in this thread said they would keep the money. :thumbsup:

The person who actually found the money gave it back so it's possible for someone to do the "right" thing when the opportunity presents itself. I could care less what other people do, I'm just saying I couldn't keep it, and yes I've been in situations like that before (not with THAT much cash though.)

Depends on the person. I'm a firm believer in karma, because all too often I've seen it work it's ways.

I'm willing to bet that this entire story is BS.

Especially since this lady is 72, and described the owner as being an older lady.

She probably made up the whole story, told the Cracker Barrel people to call her if the owner turns up, then called back pretending to be the owner herself.

NOBODY walks around with $97,000 in cash, especially not to a Cracker Barrel.

NOBODY walks around with $97,000 in cash, especially not to a Cracker Barrel.

People who enjoy Cracker Barrel already have enough issues. I wouldn't put it past one of them to be dumb enough to carry around a large amount of cash, then forget to bring it out of the rest room.

Archived