Ok, first off, this is my car, my engine and my choice to blow it.

Now that that is out of the way, I was looking on the internet and found a turbo kit for my Civic for $600 on eBay, includes everything but fuel management.

So here are my questions to people with boosted Civics:

Imagine this was a name brand kit with name brand parts. How much boost could I run on stock fuel, im assuming like 5psi...

And how much boost w/fuel upgrades can I run before something breaks? (and also whats reccomended for fuel management?)

lol, I plan on running about 5psi on my D15 with blown rings untill my D16 gets done, then seeing how much boost a bad engine can take (Turbo rated to 30psi) and then boosting the D16 to about 10psi on upgraded fuel.

Please, no haters, only help. D series are cheap to replace

It's not really how much boost but how much HP you make. But that being said on stock internals most people would probably run 5psi max on a d-series build. Surely you could run 10psi if you wanted but with the added HP your'll just be doing that much more damage to your motor. And theres no said way that when a motor blows, depends on condition of the motor, the turbo, power being made, how hard its run, etc.

It's not really how much boost but how much HP you make. But that being said on stock internals most people would probably run 5psi max on a d-series build. Surely you could run 10psi if you wanted but with the added HP your'll just be doing that much more damage to your motor. And theres no said way that when a motor blows, depends on condition of the motor, the turbo, power being made, how hard its run, etc.

Being a new D-owner, I've already come across a bunch of people running 9 psi on stock D16's for a long time with no problems. A lot of that stuff depends on the tune. If you have a good and safe tune, then 9psi should be fine. If you have a crappy tune then even 5psi could be dangerous.

Ok, first off, this is my car, my engine and my choice to blow it.

Now that that is out of the way, I was looking on the internet and found a turbo kit for my Civic for $600 on eBay, includes everything but fuel management.

Imagine this was a name brand kit with name brand parts. How much boost could I run on stock fuel, im assuming like 5psi...

And how much boost w/fuel upgrades can I run before something breaks? (and also whats reccomended for fuel management?)

lol, I plan on running about 5psi on my D15 with blown rings untill my D16 gets done, then seeing how much boost a bad engine can take (Turbo rated to 30psi) and then boosting the D16 to about 10psi on upgraded fuel.

Please, no haters, only help. D series are cheap to replace

I'm going to admit....the first post I made in here I had only read Jerrod's post and not the OP. I wouldn't run any psi on a D15 with blown rings. Second....seriously, don't get that 600 dollar turbo kit. The welds on the mani will crack and the turbo will leak. On stock fuel...maybe 5psi, but why not do it right and upgrade your injector's? THat would be cheaper than a new D16.

I was looking on the internet and found a turbo kit for my Civic for $600 on eBay, includes everything but fuel management.

Post a link, most "complete" turbo kits on ebay for $600 turn to dust within weeks

None. No boost. You need injectors and engine management. The management is the most important piece of the entire turbo setup. DSM 450cc injectors are real cheap, why not pick them up?

It depends on what turbo. Different turbos make different power at different PSI. So a T25 will make 150hp at 6 PSI... while a T4 might make 200 (at 6000 RPMs with no power before that). So the better question is how much power. Most D's can handle 200hp just fine. Some more, older engines probably a little bit less.

For management I suggest Ectune. Look on their website and they can tune you on the software without actually charging you for the system (no hardware) but you would need to get a socketed ECU.

if you have blown rings... the turbo won't product any power. The air pressure would slide past your pistons and just help destroy it quicker rather than produce any extra power.

Im not really worried about the manifold. I want a base set up for cheap, that I can slowly add actual mods to. I will buy the kit and AT MINIMUM purchase a Greddy BOV to keep the boost pressure in check. I just want something to toy around with, and make more serious as time goes on. I bought a Glowshift set of gauges: Boost press, Air/Fuel, and fuel press to keep everything in check too.

As for the DSM injectors, where would I get them, and how do they hook up?

Its essentially this kit, I would have to find another live one later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...A1%7C240%3A1318

Aaaand, for fuel, bigger pump, adjustable regulator and DSM 450 injectors be enough for around 8psi?

You need to do a lot more research before you jump on anything.

Im not really worried about the manifold. I want a base set up for cheap, that I can slowly add actual mods to. I will buy the kit and AT MINIMUM purchase a Greddy BOV to keep the boost pressure in check. I just want something to toy around with, and make more serious as time goes on. I bought a Glowshift set of gauges: Boost press, Air/Fuel, and fuel press to keep everything in check too.

it will cost you a lot more to add mods to kit after you buy it as opposed to buying something decent the first time. put your money in a bank rather than in an ebay kit

A BOV does not keep boost pressure in check

glowshift gauges are crappy and inaccurate

air/fuel guages dont do crap! you need something like a PLX and a wideband o2 sensor

fuel pressure gauge is completely pointless

As for the DSM injectors, where would I get them, and how do they hook up?

buy them on homemadeturbo.com, ebay, honda-tech, anywhere theyre real cheap now. You will need a resistor box too, theyre extremly cheap. they plug right into the fuel and the wiring is simple

Its essentially this kit, I would have to find another live one later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Acces...A1%7C240%3A1318

This kit is very very low quality the manifold would probably crack pretty quickly.... once you buy the kit your probably gonna have to pay 4-500 dollars to have it actually work with our car... that intercooler piping and charge piping would never work. not to mention the extra crappy chinese turbo that I have seen break in half... and its a T4 which wouldnt make any power until the tip top of your rev range

Aaaand, for fuel, bigger pump, adjustable regulator and DSM 450 injectors be enough for around 8psi?

not a bigger pump. just a more reliable one a walboro would be great. 450 injectors would be good enough for 12 psi on most turbos

I dont know much about turbo specs, just that everyone seems to like tubular manifolds, and T3/T4 set ups. I also like the external wastegate so I can adjust it, not the manufacturer.

tubular manifolds support a huge amount of power, way more than youll be making. a log mani would be fine as long as its made by someone who isnt chinese.

t3/t4 setups make a ton of power but take a while to spool....and quite frankly make more power than your looking to make anyway.

you can adjust an internal wastegate so your reasoning there doesnt fly

if you really want to learn about turbo specs read my writeup here:

http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=22416

Once you're ready to really do this, I'll probably have a set of DSM injectors available. I'll be upgrading to 650s eventually.

You can adjust boost pressure with an internal wastegate as well. Just need some kind of boost controller.

You can adjust boost pressure with an internal wastegate as well. Just need some kind of boost controller.

but you can only increase boost pressure, not decrease it.

IMHO you should buy MAF's set-up its the balla status of set-ups. and MAF this is like the first time on any of the forums ive really seen you help anyone out lol...I wonder as to why?

IMHO you should buy MAF's set-up its the balla status of set-ups. and MAF this is like the first time on any of the forums ive really seen you help anyone out lol...I wonder as to why?

actually you can bring internal wastegates down to about 6 PSI.... if they have the adjustable rod. (most decent turbos do) I also think you can buy internal gates with weaker springs in them that therefore open sooner.

yep, here is one: 6 psi: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...egory_Code=WGT1

and glad I could help in some way.

Yea, but he says he wants an external wastegate to control boost. Just informing him that you can control boost be it internally or externally gated. Grab a .5 bar spring(7.3 psi) and be done.

I'm building a Talon, I'm learning all kinds of things about boost.

Why wouldnt the intercooler piping work? Isnt a pipe a pipe?

Im just trying to get a turbo for a grand or under, thats why I said I wanted a used one. I cant afford a nice set up, a grand is about all I can get at a time, even that takes like 2-3 months.

Im just trying to get a turbo for a grand or under, thats why I said I wanted a used one. I cant afford a nice set up, a grand is about all I can get at a time, even that takes like 2-3 months.

intercooler piping all needs to line up properly. It will need to be cut and welded to fit the specific application... same with the downpipe.

I highly suggest saving for 6 months.

Nope. You want bead rolled to keep the pipes from popping loose under the higher pressure. This isn't just an intake where it sucks air from outside. It is forced air....lots of compression.

You can build a budget turbo kit for between 1000-1500 if you know what to look for and have a little patience. For example...there's a few different factory turbo'd cars that you can grab a turbo from.

Saab 9000 has a T3 I believe with an internal wastegate set at about 7psi from the factory. This is perfect for a starter setup and will bolt to most manifolds. You can find a used cast iron Turbo Mani for fairly cheap and never worry about cracking. Intercooler and piping can also be found used in decent condition for a lot less....same with BOV. Grab a decent downpipe, and, DSM injectors, and a tuner to chip and tune your ecu and you are set for probably 1500 or under.

dsm-14b/t25..$100'ish

dsm-450cc injectors..Free

dsm 1gen BOV...Free or $40'ish

HF exhaust manifold...$15

stealthmode oil lines...$50-90

ebay fmic...$60

ebay charge pipes...$100'ish

chipped ecu..$70-200

Street tune...$100-150

Down pipe...$6 + welding cost..try to get free

turbo adapter plate...$free or cost os some 1/2" steel plate

boost gauge...$20-30

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Aprx. Total on high side: $706 for a HMT set-up that is more reliable than that ebay kit for $100 more. and this total could be cheaper as well.

I like the cost, as well as the parts, but where would I get these? The scrapyards around here suck. Te best one is Scottys with a whole several acres, but they rarely have anything good.

And would there be a place I could get the downpipe as a one piece unit? How would I drive it from my house to the shop?...

Could I get a list of vehicles these come out of? I can go scrap ard hunting for parts today.

dsm-14b/t25..$100'ish

dsm-450cc injectors..Free

dsm 1gen BOV...Free or $40'ish

HF exhaust manifold...$15

stealthmode oil lines...$50-90

ebay fmic...$60

ebay charge pipes...$100'ish

chipped ecu..$70-200

Street tune...$100-150

Down pipe...$6 + welding cost..try to get free

turbo adapter plate...$free or cost os some 1/2" steel plate

boost gauge...$20-30

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Aprx. Total on high side: $706 for a HMT set-up that is more reliable than that ebay kit for $100 more. and this total could be cheaper as well.

Free injectors huh...sign me up. Those available in a 650?

Free injectors huh ...sign me up. Those available in a 650?

I hear ya. but they're pocket'able at a j-yard. as far as them bein available in 650, there is an i injector thread on HMT.com that lists what car uses what.

I hear ya. but they're pocket'able at a j-yard. as far as them bein available in 650, there is an i injector thread on HMT.com that lists what car uses what.

Look, I know you're trying to help the kid out, but I'll be looking to sell some stock DSM injectors in, hopefully, the very near future.

Look, I know you're trying to help the kid out, but I'll be looking to sell some stock DSM injectors in, hopefully, the very near future.

Thats right i forgot about that, sorry.

To the OP i will tell ya though it is VERY difficult to find the injectors in j-yards. I bought a set first because i was tired of looking. then had one set given to me and found a set in a tsi hidden in a corner.

Thats right i forgot about that, sorry.

To the OP i will tell ya though it is VERY difficult to find the injectors in j-yards. I bought a set first because i was tired of looking. then had one set given to me and found a set in a tsi hidden in a corner.

That's better. :devil:

Archived