2001 Prelude Help

crookerse

Ok, so i have just bought a mint condition Black 2001 Honda prelude and i want to mod it a bit, but not with body kits and euro lights. I'm looking for more of the suspension aspect and little engine mods what do you guys have in mind that would help me get a little bit more power out of my 2.2ltr vtec. I dont want to go to crazy but i was thinking of lowering it about a inch, but not sure what springs to use for this. Also want to put a intake on it but not sure of the differences. and whatever other input you guys can give me to help me achieve my perfect car. I want it to be a sleeper but still want it to look sleek and sexy. So please post back everyone with any input at all since this is all new to me and i take it a few of you have been around the block on the prelude before..

I had a 94 Prelude pretty much the same engine. Never got to modding it much but a pretty quick ride all be it kind of heavy. The 5th gen is SEXY though!

Anyway if you wanna just go with a slight drop you could probably get away with just some tein springs and maybe some shocks. Or a cheap coilover system (I have function & Form type I's on my del sol) I like them a little stiff but the adjusability is a nice thing to have.

As for power mods alot of people will tell you to buy a cheap ebay intake with a k/n filter. If not an AEM intake will do you good a well known and trusted brand. A header and catback exhaust with maybe a hi-flow cat would be the next step. A custom exhaust could be fabbed up at a muffler shop for around $300 or so, then add a hiflow cat and header and you'd be pretty set for what your asking for.

Tein's S-tech springs will lower it about 1.5 inches, which is all that I think the 5th gen really needs. I'll probably be putting these on my 2000 come spring. I don't need to get much more power from mine, since I don't care for any more speeding tickets, so I'll most likely just be doing a header and exhaust (already has a cold air intake) just to cover the basics.

Excellent thank you both for your help with it i have done some research on the Tein springs and they seem to be exactly what i was looking for... Now for the exhaust i am very hesitant because i dont want to spend the money to get it done and not have it sound right.. Intake is the next step in the mix and i will most likely be getting the AEM unless i can find any other nice ones i like.. Also i wanted to know if anyone knew anything about sway bars or upper strut mounts and if you can feel the difference with them... I agree with the speeding tickets but i dont usually speed but i want to have the extra power at my finger tips when the time calls but dont want to compromise the engine at all since it is a daliy driver..

Excellent thank you both for your help with it i have done some research on the Tein springs and they seem to be exactly what i was looking for... Now for the exhaust i am very hesitant because i dont want to spend the money to get it done and not have it sound right.. Intake is the next step in the mix and i will most likely be getting the AEM unless i can find any other nice ones i like.. Also i wanted to know if anyone knew anything about sway bars or upper strut mounts and if you can feel the difference with them... I agree with the speeding tickets but i dont usually speed but i want to have the extra power at my finger tips when the time calls but dont want to compromise the engine at all since it is a daliy driver..

Unfortunately, I've found that after 60mph it all feels the same in the Prelude... much too easy to find yourself doing 70 or above without realizing it :laugh:

What kind of exhaust note are you looking for? If you want something quiet, go RS-R ExMag (although some Prelude owners claim it's quieter than stock on the 5th gen, and are thus upset by it) or Tanabe Hyper Medalion. I had the ExMag for my CRX, and have the Tanabe on my Sol. The Prelude will be getting one of the two.

SH or Base model?

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is where i have become a little bit unclear with the preludes, I have a se but what i have read is that the 2001 ludes dont come in the sh version which i find hard to believe and i have searched for it and everything but all i keep finding is that the sh were switched to se in the 2001 edition... so i really have no idea to me it looks like a base one... the only thing i dont want is it to sound like a microwave cooking some rice... lol.. i want a deeper sound like my friend has a vr6 golf that sounds so amazing everytime i hear it and get in it it makes me want a vw so much... so please let me know how those sound on your car i will be eventually finding a exhaust i want... today i had horrible luck with my locks on my car and this insanely cold weather i have been having to get in and out of my passenger side....

Now this is where i have become a little bit unclear with the preludes, I have a se but what i have read is that the 2001 ludes dont come in the sh version which i find hard to believe and i have searched for it and everything but all i keep finding is that the sh were switched to se in the 2001 edition... so i really have no idea to me it looks like a base one... the only thing i dont want is it to sound like a microwave cooking some rice... lol.. i want a deeper sound like my friend has a vr6 golf that sounds so amazing everytime i hear it and get in it it makes me want a vw so much... so please let me know how those sound on your car i will be eventually finding a exhaust i want... today i had horrible luck with my locks on my car and this insanely cold weather i have been having to get in and out of my passenger side....

You must be in the land of Canada, then. Basically, you have the base model with a few extras (should have the leather interior - with heated seats, I believe, as Canada had those but the US models with leather didn't; possibly the carbon fiber trim kit, don't know if that was in those or if it was still just optional; and you probably have the SH wheels). If you do end up buying an exhaust, rather than having something made, then you'd be buying for the base model.

You must be in the land of Canada, then. Basically, you have the base model with a few extras (should have the leather interior - with heated seats, I believe, as Canada had those but the US models with leather didn't; possibly the carbon fiber trim kit, don't know if that was in those or if it was still just optional; and you probably have the SH wheels). If you do end up buying an exhaust, rather than having something made, then you'd be buying for the base model.

Yes i do live in the land of Canada..lol... and yea it looks like the base but it has leather and heated seats like you said and it does have the carbon fiber trim kit.. i dont have the SH wheels and i actually like the style of the base rims. So what is the difference engine wise? just very curious being a new owner on it.. i would put up some pics but its snowing alot right now.. and i would rather have something made that fits my car. so if i want anything engine wise i would hve to say for base model as well?

Yes i do live in the land of Canada..lol... and yea it looks like the base but it has leather and heated seats like you said and it does have the carbon fiber trim kit.. i dont have the SH wheels and i actually like the style of the base rims. So what is the difference engine wise? just very curious being a new owner on it.. i would put up some pics but its snowing alot right now.. and i would rather have something made that fits my car. so if i want anything engine wise i would hve to say for base model as well?

Yeah, I much prefer the base model wheels as well.

There is no difference in the engines. Aside from a couple of cosmetic differences (wheels, base models have the third brake light while the SH had it on the wing, painted rockers & rear on the SH model - a previous owner already painted them on mine :)), the only difference between the SH and base models is the ATTS (which seems to cause quite a few problems in it's own). The exhaust piping is different on the SH models to accommodate the ATTS, though, thus why you'd need to buy the exhaust for a base and not an SH.

Archived