Pick up

Prangy

Was looking at Tacoma's with my dad for him to get a new truck. What are some things I can look for and what is a lot of milage for a tacoma. I was on craigslist and noticed people want 5 grand for a tacoma from the late 90's with over 150,000 miles on them. Thanks in advance.

Tacoma 4wd = the most overpriced truck you can buy. Not that they are not worth it. It is the Honda of the light truck world. Pretty typical for a clean early 90's 4x4 to fetch 5k.

Coworker of mine sold his 90 last year. It had 325k on it, nice bfg's and rims and minimal rust and he got 2500 through eBay.

Make sure you check the undercarriage well. The frame is prone to rusting on these. The beds usually rust out horribly, but don't let that deter you. It is likely a lot cheaper to buy an eyesore and replace the bed.

K my dad was also wondering about the ford ranger. He wants stick. I noticed there are three engines 2.3, 3.0, and 4.0. He was thinking the 3.0 liter for the extra power, do you know if that has 4x4? I have seen on craigslist 3.0 but always automatic. Do they make a website that lists cars with what kind of tranny they hook up to.

Rangers have always been nice little trucks.

I do not know enough about them to make a comment one way or another. I do know my father in-law milked 300k+ out of what I think was a late 80's 2.3.

MSN's auto pages have nice listings of all of the factory trim lines and specs. That might be a start. Another thing I try is eBay searches. So many vehicles on there that if it was a common trim combination there is bound to be one for sale within the last 60 days. I don't buy off of eBay, but it makes a nice research tool.

K my dad was also wondering about the ford ranger. He wants stick. I noticed there are three engines 2.3, 3.0, and 4.0. He was thinking the 3.0 liter for the extra power, do you know if that has 4x4? I have seen on craigslist 3.0 but always automatic. Do they make a website that lists cars with what kind of tranny they hook up to.

If your looking at a Ranger and you live in an area that gets a decent amount of snow make sure you get 4X4. I think the 3.0 can come with and without 4X4 as it's usually an option when buying a that truck I believe(not cheap either). I've driven my buddies B3000(Mazda) which is the same truck with different badging. Nice on the inside but very light and a bit of a bitch to drive in winter with 4X2 because it doesn't have the weight needed for grip, even with stones in the bed.

lol @ tundra

who wants to spend the money on an ugly, gas powered v8 truck ..the SAME amount of money almost that could be taken and spent on diesel power that you KNOW can pull and KNOW will last..wanna talk overpriced?

however, the newest tacos..they're pretty nice trucks.

I had a 97 Ranger with the 2.3L. I would have kept it had it been a 4x4 prefibly with the 3.0 or 4.0. If you are gonna get the ranger I'd definitly make sure you get the 3.0 or 4.0 though, the 2.3l didn't have much in the terms of power, I know its a truck not a racecar but still left no room to impress thats for sure.

But great little truck if you can find a clean one. Extended cab is a nice addition too cause storage is a little lacking wthout.

I have the 2.3 in my 91 Ranger, and it has no power. I am pretty much a Ford hater, but I've really grown to like the little thing. Typical Ford bed-spreading, but they hold up if you take care of them. And again, typical Ford, hard to work on.

Also the 2.3 Mazda engine has 8 spark plugs, 4 of which are a BEOCH to get to :thumbsup:

You don't know difficult till you've tried changing plugs on an LT1 or LS1. LOL.

Ford's will last a while..even my GMC 2500 Sierra worktruck..run of the mill EFI 350..103K and counting..no valve tap or knocking whatsoever..and it's an '03.

I have the 2.3 in my 91 Ranger, and it has no power. I am pretty much a Ford hater, but I've really grown to like the little thing. Typical Ford bed-spreading, but they hold up if you take care of them. And again, typical Ford, hard to work on.

Also the 2.3 Mazda engine has 8 spark plugs, 4 of which are a BEOCH to get to :thumbsup:

Yeah its a lot harder than changing plugs in our 4bangers thats for sure but wasn't to much of a job. Funny thing was when I bought plugs the guy only gave me a set of 4 from autozone he had no idea it had 8. Hell I didn't even know I had to go back. Kind of weird being a 4 cylinder I didnt expect it.

i had i danger ranger it was a blast although it was droped with a 3.0 V6, but it was fun to drive after the problems where fixed :thumbsup: , it was also an autotragic >_<

id say stick with the tacoma, a much better truck overall.

Depends on what year it is.

And even then, F150 effectively beats tacoma ass IMO, the Tundra is another story and yet..it's so overly expensive..and ugly.

Don't know where people get off saying they're built better, Ford's trucks have been brutes since day one..GM is no slouch with trucks either.

I look at it as if the person takes care of the truck, it will last. I think I am going to tell him to go with a ranger, I do not see the point in spending so much on a Tacoma when it can have the same problems a ranger could have, at least I am guessing.

tacomas are sick. we got one for 18k in 2003ish. took really good care of it, put on 70k miles. sold it back to the dealer for $16,600. plus we resold the topper for $500 so 70k miles only cost about $900.