Domestic Vs. Import

Ok, as a Honda driver it is very common to get heckled by people driving Domestic and European cars. As a young car enthusiast i have always loved cars. There isnt a car in the world that i would ever call worthless. When i'm driving and some punk passes me in a Camaro and starts laughing at me i get a little frustrated. Why is this person laughing at me? Is it because his Over sized V-8 can push his car up to higher speeds then mine? I remember one particular time, i was driving my old Acura Integra and i was at a stop light and a beautiful Corvette pulled up next to me. I nodded and gave the guy a thumbs up. The driver nodded back, but his noisy passenger had other things on his mind. "i bet your car doesnt got no balls, man!" he yells. I fight the urge to yell, "Cars are woman, They arent suppose to have balls!"

Ever since then ive had some run ins with drivers of mustangs, Camaros, and other domestics bad mouth foreign cars right in front of me. That's the point where it got to my head. I was always ready to wait for some one to tell me they drive a Ford or a Chevy just so i could laugh at them. Thats when i realized im no better then the people who patronized me. So somebody tell me why there is a Domestic Vs. Import war going on. Can enthusiast really not get along?

-XphoenixX

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice sig.

Need pics of said vette. :drool:

I appreciate a nice car when I see one, no matter what it is. But there are very few that I'd actually want to own.

As far as people making fun of others for their car being slow....no matter what they have, there's always going to be someone faster.

Even if a guy in a lambo pulled up next to you and laughed, somewhere out there, there's a geo metro that's faster than his lambo, so he has no right to laugh. It's all relative.

Plus, you can always play the gas mileage card, haha :thumbsup:

For the same reason TN Titans fans don't like Baltimore Ravens fans. Human beings are competitive by nature. Look at all the wars throughout history. People tend to divide into sides over trivial things like different versions of events that occurred 2000 years ago, based on an old story (catholicism/christianity).

And as far as cars go, you're either born into it (like Nate's son) or it just happens to be the first car you get by chance. OR ya wise up and realize that Honda is the light. :thumbsup:

just ignore the idiots man. yesterday some dude with a 350z with a body kit/wing/chrome rims and exhaust pulled up next to me in bumper to bumper traffic and revved his engine at me. i just looked at him, laughed, and shook my head.

just ignore the idiots man. yesterday some dude with a 350z with a body kit/wing/chrome rims and exhaust pulled up next to me in bumper to bumper traffic and revved his engine at me. i just looked at him, laughed, and shook my head.

HAHA!! that happens to me all the time... i do the same just laugh and shake my head

Gas mileage card can't really be played..modular 4.6's get low and mid 20's.. LSx Pushrod engines have gone as high as 30mpg.

Most people here get upper 30's - lower 40's.

EDIT:......and don't pay for premium.

$15 for 350 miles or $30 for 200 miles? hmmmmmm.....

D'oh. Gas prices are back down..only took me 32 bucks to fill up my truck with MID grade..o noez, and I get over 300 miles per tank..just a hair over 20 gallons.

• 5 weeks later...

Well....most average americans have no respect for others passions.....in car modding especially.....I notice this on a daily basis......It's something that will never truly be eliminated.....like....automotive racism.......Just because I drive a japanese car.....does not mean that I am a stereotypical "ricer." This really gets to me.....but I believe that the best thing I can do is think about the passion that I have for cars...and mechanical engineering. To me its not about the driver.......its about the equipment.......and that's why I really respect your viewpoint, Phoenix

Most people here get upper 30's - lower 40's.

EDIT:......and don't pay for premium.

Dude....wherever you live sucks. Are you seriously saying that Premium is twice as expensive as regular. So at our average of 1.60 a gallon, you're premium is 3.20 a gallon? Hard to believe. Ours difference from 87-91/93 is 20-30 cents at most so you're looking at $15 for 300 miles or $17 for 350 miles (there won't be a 150 mile change from running premium).

I'm honestly confused at your post cause you usually don't post "crap", but that is utter nonsense.

So somebody tell me why there is a Domestic Vs. Import war going on. Can enthusiast really not get along?

-XphoenixX

Because Japan Bombed us half a century ago and old people can't get past it....then those old people (usually hillbillies that don't get out much) pass their thoughts and beliefs to their kids and grandkids which are the ones you see. So, in short, they hate foreign cars in general because of beliefs that their grandpa had that they don't even understand.

Dude....wherever you live sucks. Are you seriously saying that Premium is twice as expensive as regular. So at our average of 1.60 a gallon, you're premium is 3.20 a gallon? Hard to believe. Ours difference from 87-91/93 is 20-30 cents at most so you're looking at $15 for 300 miles or $17 for 350 miles (there won't be a 150 mile change from running premium).

I'm honestly confused at your post cause you usually don't post "crap", but that is utter nonsense.

The comparison was filling up my Civic vs. filling up his Ford truck which has a tank almost twice as big as mine. Not the price per gallon difference.

the only truuue card imo is:

look at a Japanese car (gsr or type-r integra :D) that makes almost 100hp/L...

then look at an American that doesn't get close!

efficiency wins imo because every idiot can build a gigantic (around 5L engine anyone?) engine...but few can build an efficient one...

my car stock: 1.8L and 170 or 179hp :D haaaha!

I like domestics and imports...I like cars! I think it's childish for people to battle like that...

EDIT: blows my mind when I read 4.7L domestic bla bla...wow!

The comparison was filling up my Civic vs. filling up his Ford truck which has a tank almost twice as big as mine. Not the price per gallon difference.

Oh, gotcha....I thought something didn't seem right, cause I thought you were comparing the same car with using regular vs. premium.

the only truuue card imo is:

look at a Japanese car (gsr or type-r integra :D) that makes almost 100hp/L...

then look at an American that doesn't get close!

efficiency wins imo because every idiot can build a gigantic (around 5L engine anyone?) engine...but few can build an efficient one...

my car stock: 1.8L and 170 or 179hp :D haaaha!

I like domestics and imports...I like cars! I think it's childish for people to battle like that...

EDIT: blows my mind when I read 4.7L domestic bla bla...wow!

corvette zri, 6.0L, 638 (flyywheel) hp.

gsr = 1.8L, 180ish (flywheel) hp

i'd rather have the zr1 and get my 400hp torque at 1k rpm.

americans prefer price for performance, and its always easier to get power from displacement. i think we americans do very well with modifying slower cars. we take a car that isn't half bad to start with, and we immediately try to find a way to tweak it.

Pretty much.

I'm not a fan of chasing numbers with a four cylinder after dumping tons of money into it that can be had stock for not a lot of money and in something that can actually take a crash.

i'd rather have the zr1 and get my 400hp torque at 1k rpm.

I'd have to say i'd prefer a zr1 over an integra too, but if I had $100,000....I'd probably buy a house.

+ take into account the zr1 gets those numbers under forced induction and then consider an s2000 which make 120hp/ liter N/A.

It's all relative.

I'd have to say i'd prefer a zr1 over an integra too, but if I had $100,000....I'd probably buy a house.

+ take into account the zr1 gets those numbers under forced induction and then consider an s2000 which make 120hp/ liter N/A.

It's all relative.

With almost zero torque. HP is great, but if you ain't puttin' it to the ground, it's for nothing.

That's 110 HP/litre by the way.

It's all relative.

With a weak sauce roots blower. I generally like them but GM can do better.

In any case a standard issue Z06 is 11s thru quarter if you can drive.

Well....most average americans have no respect for others passions.....in car modding especially.....I notice this on a daily basis......It's something that will never truly be eliminated.....like....automotive racism.......Just because I drive a japanese car.....does not mean that I am a stereotypical "ricer." This really gets to me.....but I believe that the best thing I can do is think about the passion that I have for cars...and mechanical engineering. To me its not about the driver.......its about the equipment.......and that's why I really respect your viewpoint, Phoenix

exactly. But i have one additional concern.

The term "ricer." now i do not have any "rice" parts on my car but i think insulting cars for what their owners do is ridiculous. Its your property so why cant you do it? i mean i dont like the flame stickers and stuff but if other people like it, then they shouldn't be insulted. We are all car enthusiast, whether it be exterior, interior or both.

thats just my thought.

thanks for the reply. :)

Archived