timing belt

We have a 2002 Honda Civic, and everytime we go into the local Honda dealership they're saying it's time to get the above replaced. I find it curious that what they're saying is sooner than the manual has indicated. Since this is such an expensive item, I'm wondering your overall take on the subject.. Do these wear out easily on a car such as ours?

Thanks in advance for all responses....

The current mileage on our car is around 66,000 and some odd miles.....

Unless something has changed drastically in their timing belts, they're trying to sell you a service you don't need. Next time they offer inform them that the recommended replacement interval, is 90k miles.

they said the same thing with my 01 civic, its only got 68k miles on it... i asked around and its not likely to be an issue but it can be in some rare cases...

ANY timing belt can fail prematurely, but they generally do not. That being said, My Talon was bought with a newer timing belt, less than 30k on it, and it failed. Either the place that did it used an aftermarket belt, or it just got a bad OEM one.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's not 90k miles. It's 90k miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. Being a 2002 and the 2009 models just released that makes your car 7 years old. So......I don't know why they are saying that but if they said it this time next year they would be right.

Celtic Racer - Your car is 8 years old. That's the reason they are saying yours needs to be replaced. Rubber will dry rot and start to crack from time just as much (or more) as it will from usage.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's not 90k miles. It's 90k miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. Being a 2002 and the 2009 models just released that makes your car 7 years old. So......I don't know why they are saying that but if they said it this time next year they would be right.

Celtic Racer - Your car is 8 years old. That's the reason they are saying yours needs to be replaced. Rubber will dry rot and start to crack from time just as much (or more) as it will from usage.

yeah, it makes sense. thats why i popped the hood in front of the tech and we both checked it, mine was good so yeah... :thumbsup:

yeah, it makes sense. thats why i popped the hood in front of the tech and we both checked it, mine was good so yeah...:thumbsup:

Actually, this is something I need to check on my car. Only 45,000 miles, but being 18 years old....I"m guessing the timing belt has never been changed (don't know though).

Actually, this is something I need to check on my car. Only 45,000 miles, but being 18 years old....I"m guessing the timing belt has never been changed (don't know though).

yeah, i would say so...

i need to check it on my sol too, its at 130k and i dont know if its been changed.

the service interval is the 90k and many people because they're idiots still run the same t-belt at 120k+ miles. i honestly wouldnt stress it all that much. but when you do replace it use a honda water pump and t-belt.

the service interval is the 90k and many people because they're idiots still run the same t-belt at 120k+ miles. i honestly wouldnt stress it all that much. but when you do replace it use a honda water pump, tensioner pulley and t-belt.

Fixed.

Unless something has changed drastically in their timing belts, they're trying to sell you a service you don't need. Next time they offer inform them that the recommended replacement interval, is 90k miles.

Actually, the Honda recommendation is 90k under normal driving conditions and 60k under stressful driving conditions. They go so far as to describe stressful conditions as: Greater then 20 miles per day, stop and go traffic, sustained speeds in excess of 50mph, averse climatic usage (hot summer days, freezing winter nights etc). Basically, they are telling us 90k and the fine print is that 90k applies to about 1 out of every 100 cars they sell. The other 99 the recommend at 60k. Go figure.

The 60k to 90k window is a fair time frame. It is something you MUST do above 90k miles regardless of your driving habits. And since the belt is rubber it is prone to stretching, cracking and all that fun stuff over time. For the record how much did the dealer want for replacing this $40 belt?

Archived