Replacing Head Light bulb on 2005 civic

hondadave63

Do you have to remove the bumper and headlight to replace the bulb? Is it necessary to do this to get the old bulb out and new one in. I also read it might be accessible thru wheel well. Help please

Should be accessible from under the hood. They use H4 bulbs. Might be a little clip holding it in.

The OP is right.

On the 01-05 models Honda got funky with the headlight access on one side. I don't recall which, but one of the sides is normal access from behind the housing you pop the clip and the bulb falls out. The other side you have to completely disconnect the airbox or some other screwy item to access it. I do not have a car of this gen, nor have I replaced a bulb in it, but I do recall my pop calling me and telling me he threw in the towel and just paid Honda $80 to replace them instead of tearing half his front end apart to do it.

Its hard as hell to get at on the driver's side. Find someone with small hands. You can also pull up the (power steering?) fluid reservoir for a little more room.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

On the passenger's side, you can just disconnect the battery and pull the battery out.

IMG_0621.jpg

9005 and 9006 bulbs. H4 have a three prong plug, contain both high and low beam in one unit, and are held in by a little clip. Odd that 96-99 uses H4s, and then they switch back to 9005/9006 setup in later models.

9005 and 9006 bulbs. H4 have a three prong plug, contain both high and low beam in one unit, and are held in by a little clip. Odd that 96-99 uses H4s, and then they switch back to 9005/9006 setup in later models.

That's gay. I don't know how the hell you can have a high and low beam in one bulb. Especially since one is reflected light, and one is direct light, and they are of different wattages.

I think Pearce's sol had them combined (H4's?), and yet he still has like 20 other bulbs in his headlight assembly.

That's gay. I don't know how the hell you can have a high and low beam in one bulb. Especially since one is reflected light, and one is direct light, and they are of different wattages.

I think Pearce's sol had them combined (H4's?), and yet he still has like 20 other bulbs in his headlight assembly.

There is a little reflector inside the H4 bulb. They don't need different wattages as both filaments are in one bulb, essentially doubling the light output.

LOL, no. Just turn it like 15 degrees counter clockwise and it'll pop out, still attached to the wiring. Then you press the little tab on the blue socket (pictured) to actually pull the bulb out of the socket.

You can see which way to turn it by looking closely at this picture. The screws are what hold it in place, yes. But all you have to do is turn it so the flanges are no longer underneath the screw heads.

IMG_0621.jpg

Archived