Math 1958-2008

CRG7

Fifty Years of Math 1958 - 2008

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950's:

1. Teaching Math In 1950's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990's

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2008

Un hachero vende una carretada de madera para $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho el hachero?

LOL. i really LOLd.

Shows so much about our society, nice find Ashley.

A friend posted it on Facebook. I stole it and posted it here.

I'm just glad that someone acknowledges that the standard of education in hispanic households is much higher (note how the Spanish question is a translation of the most difficult of the questions posed).

Ummm... actually, it's a translation of the second one, without fractions.

heres a question from my math book,

Computer Technology OMY, Inc. is a computer chip factoy located in washington.

The front line supervisor is paid $658 per week.

She has been offered a position in a chip factory in Colorado.

Her pay would be $1,190 biweekly.

What is the annual salary for each job?

Should she take the job in Colorado?

IMHO i dont think i need to know where it is and i dont think i need to say if she should take the job or not

It helps make it interesting. Also, Colorado has even better ski/board slopes than Washington, and the cost of living is probably somewhat lower... Considering minimum wage in CO is $2 lower than WA.... Colorado job is probably better if it comes with a signing bonus that'll cover the cost of the move, and is within easy driving distance of the slopes. :laugh:

Personally though, I'd keep the job in WA and live with my grandparents. Puget Sound + White Pass FTMFW :thumbsup:

heres a question from my math book,

Computer Technology OMY, Inc. is a computer chip factoy located in washington.

The front line supervisor is paid $658 per week.

She has been offered a position in a chip factory in Colorado.

Her pay would be $1,190 biweekly.

What is the annual salary for each job?

Should she take the job in Colorado?

IMHO i dont think i need to know where it is and i dont think i need to say if she should take the job or not

Are you in 5th or 6th grade, cause that's about the level of word problem they would get. (being serious). I can tell you that the current job pays more without even figuring things up.

If the second job was bi-monthly then that would be a little harder (for a 5th or 6th grader) since the current job would be *52 and the other would need to be *24.

Archived