Holiday Recipes

wannaBstuntin

If you have any good recipes for the holidays (including food and drinks), feel free to post them up here for the rest of us to try.

I'm working on a drink for the winter meet, which I call "HF Winter Beater". :thumbsup:

Those of you that attend will get to try. I will post my final recipe around that time.

Easy Christmas Pecan Snowball Cookies Recipe thats quick and easy to make.

1/4 pound butter or margarine

1 cup flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup chopped pecans

1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients (except powdered sugar) and shape into balls.

Bake in a 350° oven for 15 minutes.

Roll in powdered sugar while hot.

Cool, and roll again in powdered sugar.

You would never have thought balls in your mouth could tastes so good.

lets see, I definitely have a few...

Easy Pumpkin Cake

1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix

1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling

4 eggs

1/4 cup Wesson oil

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie seasoning

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients in bowl of electric mixer.

With electric mixer, blend all ingredients until moistened on low speed, then 2 minutes on medium speed.

Pour into greased and floured Bundt or tube cake pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes.

Let cool completely before removing from pan as this is a very moist cake.

(i warm some cream cheese icing in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds then drizzle it over the cake)

"Grasshopper" pie (chocolate mint pie)

16 chocolate wafer cookies, crushed

4 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup hot milk

24 large marshmallows

1/4 cup creme de menthe liqueur

2 tablespoons white creme de cacao

1 cup whipping cream, whipped

Mix chocolate cookies and butter or margarine. Pat into bottom and sides of 9-10 inch pie dish. Refrigerate at least one hour.

In saucepan, melt marshmallows in milk over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool. Add creme de menthe and creme de cacao, and mix well. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into chilled pie shell. Freeze.

Slice to serve--may add additional dollop of whipped cream for serving.

Spice Cookies with Crystallized Ginger

1/2 cup white sugar

3/4 cup unsalted butter

1 egg white

2 tablespoons dark corn syrup

3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 large cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg white, and corn syrup; mix until fluffy. Stir in the crystallized ginger. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves; stir into the egg mixture. When dough starts to come together, mix with your hands to form a smooth dough.

Form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in white sugar. Place balls on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart, and press down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, cookies should be golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before Moving to a rack to cool completely. Dip 1/2 of each cookie into confectioners' sugar for decoration.

(these are also really good with lemon royal icing drizzled over them)

Peach Champagne Punch

3 (11.5 ounce) cans peach nectar

1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup peach brandy

1/4 cup grenadine syrup

1 (32 fluid ounce) bottle carbonated water

3 (750 milliliter) bottles champagne

Chill all ingredients. In a large punch bowl combine peach nectar, concentrated orange juice, lemon juice, brandy and grenadine. Mix well and pour in the carbonated water and champagne.

Mulled Wine Cocktail

100g light muscovado sugar

1 star anise

1 cinnamon stick

4 cloves

1 lemon, thinly sliced

2 clementines, thinly sliced

150ml Cointreau

750ml light red wine, such as Beaujolais

Orange zest and star anise, to serve

Put the sugar in a pan with the star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves and 150ml water. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

Simmer for two minutes, then pour into a large jug and leave to cool. Add the lemon and clementines to the jug along with the Cointreau and wine.

Stir well, then cover and chill for at least two hours or overnight.

Serve chilled or over ice, with a twist of orange zest and a star anise. If you'd like to serve a traditional warm mulled wine, there's no need to chill it - simply warm it all through without boiling and serve in heat-proof glasses.

Orange Cranberry & Walnut cookies

5g caster sugar

75g unsalted butter

150g plain flour

50g candied orange peel, chopped

50g dried cranberries

50g walnut pieces

Zest of 1 orange

1tbsp orange juice

1 egg

Combine the ingredients and mix well. Put the soft dough into a piece of clingfilm. Then roll it into a sausage shape and chill for an hour or so. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.

Unwrap the dough and slice into 12 thick rounds. Place these well apart on a baking sheet - greased, or lined with greaseproof paper rubbed with a trace of sunflower oil, or a silicone mat - and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Leave to cool on the sheet for a few minutes before moving to a rack.

Will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container.

LMFAO at SSR. I'm gonna have to snag mom's chocolate covered peanut butter balls recipe.

Easy to make, and tasty :drool:

My mom has that recipe, and I've had to make them at times when she hasn't had the time. Rolling 5 dozen or more peanut butter balls suuuuucks and makes you not want to eat them.

I started my holiday baking tonight by making up a few candies, since those will keep just fine until (and after) Christmas.

No recipes, though. Most of what I make can easily be found, but I have a way of just making it taste better :p

it depends on how you're using irish cream. add citrus and it will curdle- that's why we used to give it to the guys who came into the pub looking for the most disgusting shot we could give them- we told them to lick the salt off the back of their hand, then we'd give them half a shot of baileys, half a shot of lime juice and told them to pour both into their mouth at the same time & hold it for 30 seconds before swallowing. Most of them gagged and when they asked what the hell that was we'd always reply "that's what we call the blow job's revenge!" it usually had them running off to the toilet to bring it back up. however, if you float baileys on the top of a shot by either pouring it on at an angle, or over the back of a spoon it usually doesn't curdle.

how about a bakewell tart shot? 1/2 amaretto and 1/2 cherry brandy- it's yummy and always reminds me of christmas.

...lick the salt off the back of their hand, then we'd give them half a shot of baileys, half a shot of lime juice and told them to pour both into their mouth at the same time & hold it for 30 seconds before swallowing....

Here in Ohio that is called a Cement Mixer and is usually one of the first drinks purchased and given to the freshly 21. Take first shot, hold, take second shot and swish together. If you can actually swallow it you are a real man/woman drinker.

My families recipe for the drink of choice. Open fridge, grab can, open beer, consume.

One of my favorites, and it isn't really a Holiday type thing but is something my family always makes up as an after dinner party snack, is a simple fruit dip.

One small container of cream cheese

One small jar of whipped marshmallow

Food coloring of choice.

Warm the cream cheese by either leaving it out to approach room temp or by microwaving it for a little bit. Mix the entire package of cream cheese and marshmallow into a creamy blend. Add food coloring of choice. From experience very dark shades, especially: green, brown and blue do not go over well. Stick to lighter pastels and it is more palatable. Lay out a spread of various fruits of your liking and enjoy. It actually is very tasty. At parties we generally do not tell people it has cream cheese as a lot of people turn their nose up at it before they try it. Bananas, strawberries and apples go over well with this. Grapes are good too, but are hard to dip with if they are small. Oranges are usually a no-go for us as they are not in season and sometimes not very tasty.

Archived