transmission noise

Pballer2005

the 5sdp transmission in my 99 ex is making a weird winding/grinding noise in all gears. its not a typical grinding sound, more like when you winding gear sound only louder and not as smooth. it does it randomly in 1st gear, more often when its cold, as well as 2nd, and it always does it in 3rd-5th. if i let the car sit in neutral with the clutch out i can hear it as well. the sound varies in pitch that is directly related to teh engine speed (i.e. when the engine revs higher, the noise gets higher pitched which leads me to believe something that spins with the engine is rubbing somewhere.the car doesn't bog down or anythign when i hear the noise, no change in acceleration/handling, no pulling to one side or the other, no unusaul motion or vibration in the shifter, just the sound itself.

i live on campus at school so i don't exactly have the tools to take anything apart, and since i'm a student i don't have much money to take it to a mechanic so basically i want to know how long might it take for severe damage to take place should i wait till i have enough money to make any serious repairs?

mainshaft bearings 100%. sounds like they are bad too. theres a ball beaing on each end of the mainshaft , they always go eventually. approx 60 bucks at honda for both. as far as getting them put in , lol , your fuked if your broke. a shop will charge you im sure at least 750 bucks. id do it for you for 350. if your just brought the tranny to me already out of the car , i charge 75 bucks. see how much it costs for shipping each way to me , haha , might be cheaper than going to a shop still.

that sux, how long can i go with it like this? it's my dd so i probably wouldn't be able to do anything with it until spring break. how might i go about figuring out shipping for something that heavy, and i live in southern california?

that sux, how long can i go with it like this? it's my dd so i probably wouldn't be able to do anything with it until spring break. how might i go about figuring out shipping for something that heavy, and i live in southern california?

I agree that is mostlikely the mainshaft nose bearing. I have replaced many on your gen. civic. To confirm, you should notice the noise while in neutral with the car sitting and the sound goes away as soon as you press the clutch.

As far has how long you can go like that, no clue... Basically, what happens is race will eventually shatter and the balls will bunch up on one side and you will blow the trany. The bearing should only be 50 to 70 at the dealer (and the new style has a metal race intead of the plastic style original). The rest is labor. If you need a clutch and can afford one, might want to think about doing that at the same time as the trany will be out anyway. If the clutch is fine then one less thing to think about.

Can go from a couple hundred miles into the tens of thousands. When they finally fail kiss your trans goodbye. You can get one of my rebuilt trannys for 275-315.

k i have to talk to my parents since i dont have money. is there a way i can tell if its going out on me any time soon or will it just happen suddenly? are there any goodies in the rebuilt one or is it just rebuilt to factory specs? any kind of core charge or anything like that?

No way of telling when it will go out. But when you can hear it while driving, thats not a good sign.

Stock rebuild. Only goodies if you want to call it that is the scuffing of the 2-3-4 gears and staked CSB. No core charge. Shipping/packaging should be under $80 to Cali.

Why not just get a new bearing thrown in it? If the synchros and gears are good I wouldn't dump the transmission. The job round trip at the shop takes us 2.75 hours. As far as transmission removal that is certainly one of the easier ones. Either way you have to remove the trany why not fix the one you have?

Why not just get a new bearing thrown in it? If the synchros and gears are good I wouldn't dump the transmission. The job round trip at the shop takes us 2.75 hours. As far as transmission removal that is certainly one of the easier ones. Either way you have to remove the trany why not fix the one you have?

don't have a shop, no air tools, hell we don't even have a torque wrench. i think the only automotive specialty tools we have are about 5 different oil filter wrenches and a small gear puller and a wimpy floor jack. i could do it, it's not that it's impossible for me, it's just that i don't have the tools, nor the time. I'm taking 18 units and working part time so it would have to wait till either winter break (which is coming up soon but my dad wouldn't be able to help since work is so busy with Christmas coming up) or spring break (dad wouldn't have extra work because since there aren't any holidays). it's basically gonna come down to what my parents say since i'm pretty dependant on them at this point, but they have a very strong "leave it to the proffesionals" attitude when it comes to cars. i'm pretty sure that if i mention the possibility of a fubar transmission they would be more willing.

and take it easy on it till you do , lol.

lol yeah seriously. talked to my mom and we've both noticed that it's been doing it since i had the clutch replaced at a local honda dealer (Penske Honda in Ontario, Ca) so we are going to take it to them and see what we can weasel out of them. the clutch was done in March and i'm pretty sure they had a 1 yr warranty on their work. anybody know how we might be able to get them to fix it without taking too much out of our pockets?

Won't be able to get them to fix it IMO. Clutch does not cause the ISB to go out, they just go out over time. Even an on/off clutch like a twin disc doesn't accelerate the wear on it.

don't have a shop, no air tools, hell we don't even have a torque wrench. i think the only automotive specialty tools we have are about 5 different oil filter wrenches and a small gear puller and a wimpy floor jack. i could do it, it's not that it's impossible for me, it's just that i don't have the tools, nor the time. I'm taking 18 units and working part time so it would have to wait till either winter break (which is coming up soon but my dad wouldn't be able to help since work is so busy with Christmas coming up) or spring break (dad wouldn't have extra work because since there aren't any holidays). it's basically gonna come down to what my parents say since i'm pretty dependant on them at this point, but they have a very strong "leave it to the proffesionals" attitude when it comes to cars. i'm pretty sure that if i mention the possibility of a fubar transmission they would be more willing.

Right, but you are willing to buy a rebuilt trany and have to pay someone to remove and install you new rebuild trany which you just spent X number of dollars on? The labor rate for removal and installation is the same, then add in the price for the nose bearing (about 50 to 70 at the dealer) and about 1.5 hours labor to pop the trany cover off, remove the shaft assemblies and remove replace the bearing. Depending on the labor rate in your area (I will use the average rate in my area) you will spend about 70 max for the bearing and 1.5 hrs to rebuild at lets say 70/hr, thereby a total of 175 for you to have a shop replace the nose bearing, then add on the labor for removal and re-installation of the trany which you are planning on paying anyway for another rebuild. So you have the potential options of spending several hundred dollars on a rebuild or have yours done for probably less then the price of a rebuild. All depends on the labor rates and price of parts (retail) in your area, but it is worth pricing out your options before commiting to something.

And when the shop opens up the tranny, they'll more than likely tell him he needs to replace other parts inside it. If he takes it to a Honda dealer, he will be paying out the ass, as most don't work on manual transmissions very often.

And when the shop opens up the tranny, they'll more than likely tell him he needs to replace other parts inside it. If he takes it to a Honda dealer, he will be paying out the ass, as most don't work on manual transmissions very often.

I do not work for a dealer... I work for a shop that only deals with hondas and acuras. I know what you are saying, but also I know people are trying to sell things on this site that people may not need, a.k.a. a transmission... If the transmission needs a nose bearing, which is a very common problem with the one in case, then that is what I would look at doing....................

I do not work for a dealer... I work for a shop that only deals with hondas and acuras. I know what you are saying, but also I know people are trying to sell things on this site that people may not need, a.k.a. a transmission... If the transmission needs a nose bearing, which is a very common problem with the one in case, then that is what I would look at doing....................

WTF are you talking about? SSR said, as have many others, that he needs mainshaft bearings. A built transmission does 2 things. Eliminates the problems related to the bearings, and increases the performance of a vehicle.

If he can have it replaced by someone that regularly works on Honda transmissions (and does good work) for less than he can get a trans from me and have it installed, then thats an option for him. I don't make much off the rebuilt trannys I sell, some I take a loss on (i.e. the A9 trans I have for sale as I got it for $280). I do them so people have the option of getting a trans they know will not have any problems.

if i was to go the rebuilt route would going with the rebuilt y8 trans be my best option or would you recommend maybe switching to another model? i'm not sure which transmissions are better than others.

Archived