d16y8 build help

cartel214

Sigh. Z6's don't run big with bolt ons alone. How am I supposed to know if it was USDM or JDM? Either way it doesn't matter, they're the same engine.

I'm running a stock Z6 because road racing is not about power. All power does in road racing is cover up a crapty driver. I like the D because it has great torque for a 1.6 and weighs less than a B series.

you are right road racing isn't all about power. but why not have power when you can put the money into a motor and be a better driver than before? and again, i do agree that sometimes power covers a crapty driver because when ppl get power under there seat they think they know how to drive. but if u go b series why not at least go with a gsr or type r? no point in going from a sohc 1.6 to a dohc 1.6. if u learn to drive with a slow engine, when you do get the power your a better driver. then again for ppl that want to go autocross power makes all the difference. btw, b series barely weighs more than any d series. so once again if you have money then why not build your car around the motor you have in it? and if your wanting torque a simple clutch and differential takes care of that. don't get me wrong man, i'm not downing the d series at all. some of those motors can really push some power. but if someone has the money to back their car that can drive, then why not go big with the experience they have?

you are right road racing isn't all about power. but why not have power when you can put the money into a motor and be a better driver than before? and again, i do agree that sometimes power covers a crapty driver because when ppl get power under there seat they think they know how to drive. but if u go b series why not at least go with a gsr or type r? no point in going from a sohc 1.6 to a dohc 1.6. if u learn to drive with a slow engine, when you do get the power your a better driver. then again for ppl that want to go autocross power makes all the difference. btw, b series barely weighs more than any d series. so once again if you have money then why not build your car around the motor you have in it? and if your wanting torque a simple clutch and differential takes care of that. don't get me wrong man, i'm not downing the d series at all. some of those motors can really push some power. but if someone has the money to back their car that can drive, then why not go big with the experience they have?

this may not be ssr's reason but i know for me, if i had the option of buying a b-series and using all the money for the swap, or use the money to build a d-series i would stick with the d-series. for me it's kind of a fun idea to take a smaller more understated motor and build it to it keep up with faster cars. and when i see a well built d-series that is fast and was put together using stock parts from a motor they got a hold of in a junk yard i feel like i have a hope of doing the same thing, where as a b-series swap just seems way out of my reach. and not to kiss ass or anything but i like the way ssr mentions drive train work when ppl ask for anything to make their car faster, it's not what your would normally think of.

More power does not make you a better driver, at all. Power makes even less of a difference in autocross than it does road racing. Depending on which B you get, it will weigh at least 50 pounds more than a D series. 50 pounds on the front of the car is a big deal when you care about balance. A clutch and differential do not make torque.

it would be pretty sweet to have a screamin car and say you've only got a d16 in it.

but ur saying that a stock clutch is just as good as a stage 3 or stage 4...hard to believe that. and yea, 50 lbs could make every bit of a difference...but if someone can learn to drive better with a more built motor with the extra weight, then 50 lbs wouldn't be a loss for them. either way, building a dohc would make more sense then putting loads and loads of money into a sohc.

Stock clutch isn't better, but it doesn't make torque. You said if you want torque get a clutch and LSD. They don't make torque. If the stock clutch will hold the heat of an HPDE then that is all you need. You want something that engages as smooth as possible that can still hold the heat for road racing. Take a really good driver and they will be faster in the D powered car than the B, given the same power. Which a 240whp NA D will weigh quite a bit less than a stock D. Still holding the minimum 50 pound weight difference.

Anything that makes more power. Power is chemical energy turned into mechanical energy. Does the drivetrain make chemical energy? No.

I'd seriously rethink listening to these people you have been.

Archived