d16y8 build help

cartel214

hey guys i have a 98 civic ed and i was wondering since im low on budget what i could do to my car to get some nice horse power from my engine engine rebuild? or what? and also would it make any difference if i were to put a z6 head on my y8? or what would it do?

Budget? Don't touch the engine, 4.9 final drive or a close gear set. You'll be faster than a budget engine rebuild and won't have to worry about screwing anything in the engine up.

Budget? Don't touch the engine, 4.9 final drive or a close gear set. You'll be faster than a budget engine rebuild and won't have to worry about screwing anything in the engine up.

can you please explain it to me a little more?

since your car already comes with the y8 head i'd leave that on, if you are on a budget might as well just clean it up and not have to pay for a new one.

so your just saying to keep the head it has? and clean it up like new things or? sorry if my questions sound meaning less its just that im still fairly new with all this lol

Green is stock transmission, red is Y8 trans with a 4.9 final drive.

Click here

Along with a clutch and flywheel, you're not going to be faster with a rebuilt engine and a stock trans that you will with a stock engine and built trans.

Green is stock transmission, red is Y8 trans with a 4.9 final drive.

Click here

Along with a clutch and flywheel, you're not going to be faster with a rebuilt engine and a stock trans that you will with a stock engine and built trans.

so your saying for me to rebuild me trans and leave my engine alone?

yea start with general bolt ons...for cheap, start with an adj. cam gear, doesn't have to be name brand, headers, exhaust, cold air intake, etc.

and yea do the z6 swap but go with the z6 trany...my cousin had a hatch and ripped thru 3 tranys before he went with the z6 trans. never had a problem with it after he had that. also be good to get a reprogrammed ecu and set the vtec for 4500 no lower. if its lower it will disengage to soon and wont get the kick ur lookin for...which the z6 will def. give u. basically if ur wanting power from a sohc go with the whole z6 motor and do simple bolt ons...surprising how much power u can get from a z6 with bolt ons.

one of my family members had a 93 hatch and dropped a usdm z6 in it. put a couple bolt ons and basically could keep with alot of high priced cars...m3's, type r's, 07 civic si's, etc. only pushing 160. prob. one of the fastest sohc's i've driven that was nat. asp. and all he did was simple bolt on pcs. no boring, cnc, nothing.

Dude, you are so full of crap. I have a Z6 with THE best header and IM you can get, plus way shorter gearing than stock, and I can't beat an ITR in a straight line, much less an M3.

It takes a very well thought out and FULL build to hit 160whp NA on a D series.

I'll take some time to explain why you fail (aside from your last post about a bolt on Z6 being faster than those cars).

-Cam gear does jack for a stock cam.

-A Z6 has a header, singular.

-A tuned length intake will make more power than a cold air intake.

-Y8 makes more power than a Z6. He has a Y8. It also has a curved inlet divider that causes swirl in the cylinder, this is good for low and midrange power. That is the power he wants as it is obviously not a full race car.

-If your cousin went through 3 trannys, they were probably stock trannys that he abused. I beat the crap out of my trannys and have only blown one, because I was in a hurry putting it back together and stripped a bolt.

-Generic chip or basemap is bad.

-Stock VTEC point is 4,400 RPM.

-VTEC does not disengage AFTER the engagement RPM unless there is a problem with the engine that the ECU senses and cuts VTEC off.

-VTEC should not kick, it should be smooth. If its not, your cams or tuner or both suck.

-There are currently no CNC head programs available for the D series, from ANY head porter.

Don't talk like you know something when you don't, that is spreading misinformation. Other than that stick around, can never have too many D series fans.

I'll take some time to explain why you fail (aside from your last post about a bolt on Z6 being faster than those cars).

-Cam gear does jack for a stock cam.

-A Z6 has a header, singular.

-A tuned length intake will make more power than a cold air intake.

-Y8 makes more power than a Z6. He has a Y8. It also has a curved inlet divider that causes swirl in the cylinder, this is good for low and midrange power. That is the power he wants as it is obviously not a full race car.

-If your cousin went through 3 trannys, they were probably stock trannys that he abused. I beat the crap out of my trannys and have only blown one, because I was in a hurry putting it back together and stripped a bolt.

-Generic chip or basemap is bad.

-Stock VTEC point is 4,400 RPM.

-VTEC does not disengage AFTER the engagement RPM unless there is a problem with the engine that the ECU senses and cuts VTEC off.

-VTEC should not kick, it should be smooth. If its not, your cams or tuner or both suck.

-There are currently no CNC head programs available for the D series, from ANY head porter.

Don't talk like you know something when you don't, that is spreading misinformation. Other than that stick around, can never have too many D series fans.

dont get me wrong its frickin sweet that u know everything there is to kno about a d series. but...the fact is, its a rebuilt z6 that could run big. the guy asked, i said wat i knew about it. i mean there really isn't any point in getting technical because the argument isn't with me and you. i'm just stating fact about wat i've seen done to a z6 and yes. NA, it beat alot...in a 92 hatch. as hard as that is to believe, thats how it was. now specs as far as whether it was jdm or usdm, idk. i asked him the other day actually and if i remember correctly he said it is a jap-spec vtec. so since u seem to be the expert, how about u tell me wat it is.

btw, if u know so much then why are you running a stock z6? why aren't you going bigger since you can't keep with ITR's and all them? i mean obviously u know wat ur talking about and if you have money to get THE BEST headers and IM then why don't u go for a dohc instead of putting all of that bank into a pos motor?

Sigh. Z6's don't run big with bolt ons alone. How am I supposed to know if it was USDM or JDM? Either way it doesn't matter, they're the same engine.

I'm running a stock Z6 because road racing is not about power. All power does in road racing is cover up a crapty driver. I like the D because it has great torque for a 1.6 and weighs less than a B series.

Yep, trust him you'll be happy with the results. And like he said you won't have to worry about reliability issues.

Oh and if you go this route do not expect to be a "dyno king", you will just be a lot quicker, though not to the extreme of beating an M3.

Archived