I HATE these decisisons

CleanGSR

So, I'm sitting here trying to decide between 3 scenarios. I have exactly 943.00 to put into the car.

Option 1: Function Form Type 1 coilovers + a used set of HX wheels/tires

Option 2: Koni Yellows with Ground Control Coilovers + keep my stock 13" steelies (probably get hubcaps) until sometime in the spring....then hopefully be able to get the HX's when I need tires

Option 3: Tokico Blues (HP) + H&R Sports + HX wheels and have money left over.

Here's my problems with each.

Option 1: While I get a few comments about FF's, they aren't a hugely repuatable brand like the others. Also I have no way to gauge the stiffness. I do know that it will be stiffer than the setup in Option 2.

Option 2: Probably the absolute best suspension combo you can get for a honda without spending a couple grand or more. With custom rate GC's I can get a combo that is pretty nice on the street and also great if I want to auto-x some next season with the car. Plus I can still drop the car as much as I'd like. Downside.....stuck with 13" steelies for who knows how long....possibly get the HX's if there's tax money left, but not a garuntee. However, slammed cars with hubcaps still don't look bad.

Option 3: Pretty much garuntee'd to have great ride quality. Very cheap and even with the HX's I'd have money left over to hold back. Problems are that I'm not sure it would drop me low enough to be happy (though it might....can't find pictures of this on an ED to confirm). Also, any chance of doing auto-x (not even sure if I will, but like the option) would be out since it wouldn't exactly handle great and the Blues wouldn't be able to handle a ton of stress.

So you see my delimma. I want a clean looking hatch that's nice and low but ride's decent. Unfortunately, I'm about $200-300 short of the setup I'd really like to have (Option 2 + HX rims/tires).

Thoughts?

stuck between 2 and 3.

i would narrow my choice down to those two.

i think it would be super BA have Konis on it, and they will do all you want them to.

any way you could pick up the HX wheels first, sell the steelies for a little change?

wait to put Konis in? just save the money for a little while?

stuck between 2 and 3.

i would narrow my choice down to those two.

i think it would be super BA have Konis on it, and they will do all you want them to.

any way you could pick up the HX wheels first, sell the steelies for a little change?

wait to put Konis in? just save the money for a little while?

I hate stock ride height more than stock or steel wheels so I'd rather drop it before getting the HX's. At this very moment I plan to keep the car for a very long time.....this is my reason for leaning toward Option 2.

With only 45,000 miles on the car, I can drive it for a good 2 years before nearing the 100k mark. At that point I will be able to afford to swap the car with a B18C1 or a boosted B18B1. If I end up doing all that work at that point, I'll probably want to upgrade the suspension then too to the best I can have. Doing it now will prevent me from possibly having to re-do it 2 years from now....all for only about 200-300.

Of course, there's also no garuntee that I'll do all that down the road....that's just the plan. I'd never be able to sell a set of 13" steeleis....everybody wants at least 14's. Plus I'd like to keep the original parts so I can put it back to stock in the future to sell if need be.

gotcha. in that case, I would like to vote option 2.

like you said, keeps from replacing and good since you will be keeping for quite some time. rattle can the wheels/powdercoat them, or some decent looking hubs, though personally i hate hubcaps.

i wouldn't mind a set of 13s if i mated them up to the right tire size for the sol. hmm.

i would say option 3, that is if you see pics and are satisfied with the height.

you get the drop, ride quality, wheels, and money left over.

as far as the autocross aspect, yeah it would be fun, but how many times did you go with the sol? or the gsr? and even if you do end up going, you wont be going all out, and that setup will still be fine

i would say option 3, that is if you see pics and are satisfied with the height.

you get the drop, ride quality, wheels, and money left over.

as far as the autocross aspect, yeah it would be fun, but how many times did you go with the sol? or the gsr? and even if you do end up going, you wont be going all out, and that setup will still be fine

I never did with the sol or GSR because it's 2 hours away. However, we plan within the next year or two to move and will only be about 25 minutes away from it. At that point I plan to auto-x a lot. Also, I plan to do some this summer as well, since our schedules will be less busy than this year and last (hopefully).

What about a slight tweak to option 2, and instead of the konis get some illuminas and be able to get some hx too. Though that means maybe replacing the illuminas down the road depending how they hold up.

What about a slight tweak to option 2, and instead of the konis get some illuminas and be able to get some hx too. Though that means maybe replacing the illuminas down the road depending how they hold up.

It only saves $100 bucks to go that route and the illumina's only have a warranty for their max recommended 1.5" drop. So, with this route I'd either have to get extended top hats made or buy GC Top hats. Either option will put the setup at the same cost as the Koni/GC's with more work to get there and a lesser suspension in the end.

Oh I thought the illuminas were like 2-300 different.

Either way it seems like option 3 is out based on what you said, and I can say first hand I wish I would have went with something height adjustable, because I still have like a 1.5in gap.

I wouldn't go with option 1 because you have option 2 which is a proven setup, even though you will be stuck with 13s.

I'm doing a little research, but I think I have an option 4.

Progress Coilovers. I haven't heard a single bad review on them yet. They are on the soft side (350/250) so they ride like a dream on the road....plus they sound like they are dampered perfectly and handle pretty incredible as well. They're also around 600 bucks so I could get some HX rims too.

Edit: I've found these for 539.00, 42 shipping so $581 shippped....and thats from hasport.com. Based on the reviews and the 1 year warranty plus a reputable company (Progress), I'll probably be ordering these tomorrow. They'll drop up to 2.5 inches which should be enough to keep me happy.

never heard of progress

Are you serious? They are huge in suspensions. Surely you've heard of Progress Sway bars. Hugely popular.

Bradley - I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow morning so I plan to order the Progress coilovers tomorrow afternoon/evening. I've also just made a WTB add on a local forum for some HX rims. Hopefully all goes as planned. I actually found a place with the Progress kit for about $525 shipped. Can't beat that. With luck, I'll be able to get the HX rims and have a hundred bucks or so to save back.

Sounds like you're set Nate! Glad you found those, and for a good price too. Hopefully the HX rims will come sooner than later. Are you planning on having them powdered?

Nah...I"ve always had extremely good luck with sanding and spraying them myself. They've always held up for me through winters and all since I prep them right. I plan to paint them gunmetal to make them like baby ITR's.

Nah...I"ve always had extremely good luck with sanding and spraying them myself. They've always held up for me through winters and all since I prep them right. I plan to paint them gunmetal to make them like baby ITR's.

nice, that will look great. can't wait for pics! :thumbsup:

Seriously look into the PIC APEX'S or for a few bucks more the Selects. They are the offical coilover of nasa and are better than the koni/gc combo which isnt that great to begin with.

Seriously look into the PIC APEX'S or for a few bucks more the Selects. They are the offical coilover of nasa and are better than the koni/gc combo which isnt that great to begin with.

i guess they used them in the space race? :p

Yeah, except they are much stiffer than the Progress Series II. I want something comfy on the street that can do decent on an auot-x course. I never plan to get into competeive racing.

I just got back from picking up the car. It was a 2 hour drive home from where I picked it up (actually went to work). I must say....this is far from the comfiest car that I've driven and is probably in the top 3 most uncomfortable cars I've owned. I think it's mainly the seats as my back was hurting when I got out. I might try and swap in some GSR or Del Sol seats down the road.....both of those were super comfy.

Archived