e-brake light oddity

Orca89

Today my e-brake light started staying on after I took the brake off... then turning off after I passed 3rd gear. It will turn on again randomly but shifting into 4th seems to get it to turn off. I unfortunately lack an owners manual, so... help? Sticky sensor? loose cable? The handle does seem to be a bit looser than it was before. Oh, and ebrake all the way up while driving = mild slow down >_< . That doesn't seem right to me.

Pull the blub! my project sol the bulb blew and im never going to change it my dd works fine but i never really pay attention to it anyways. But for you prolly a loose wire or your bulb is having issues haha Just Pull it and forget about it

Pull the blub! my project sol the bulb blew and im never going to change it my dd works fine but i never really pay attention to it anyways. But for you prolly a loose wire or your bulb is having issues haha Just Pull it and forget about it

Ok, lights come on for a reason, and my ebrake isn't working the way it's supposed to. I'd rather fix the car than remove/break a part of it.

Have you tried applying more pressure to it when you release it? In my mom's old Integra, it would stick sometimes and while the handle would be down it wouldn't be completely released unless you raised the handle and kind of slammed it down a bit quickly. Light went off and it was good to go. I'd imagine it's either sticking, as such, or it could simply be loosened from time.

Yeah, let's just pull bulbs out instead of solving the problem. Genius.

Have you tried applying more pressure to it when you release it? In my mom's old Integra, it would stick sometimes and while the handle would be down it wouldn't be completely released unless you raised the handle and kind of slammed it down a bit quickly. Light went off and it was good to go. I'd imagine it's either sticking, as such, or it could simply be loosened from time.

Yeah, let's just pull bulbs out instead of solving the problem. Genius.

I kinda spazzed out on the handle at one point :- . Didn't fix it. It does feel a bit loose. Any idea how to fix that?

I kinda spazzed out on the handle at one point :- . Didn't fix it. It does feel a bit loose. Any idea how to fix that?

haven't had to do this yet, but here's part of an article on team-integra (page one is just steps on removing the integra's console): http://www.team-integra.net/sections/artic...p?ArticleID=518 . you may want to check your fluid before doing any of this as well, and perhaps your pads.

haven't had to do this yet, but here's part of an article on team-integra (page one is just steps on removing the integra's console): http://www.team-integra.net/sections/artic...p?ArticleID=518 . you may want to check your fluid before doing any of this as well, and perhaps your pads.

I've checked the fluid (sitting barely below where the hole opens up into the actual container), and the rear pads are a few months old, the front only a little older. I'll work on the tension thing... ummm... sometime... Lots of homework to do between today and tomorrow. Looks like that's probably at least part of the problem, my wheels spin freely up until about the 8th click. Thanks! :)

Ashley's right, sometimes that is just an indication that your brakes are starting to go and the light will come on as a result of your fluid level being low. At least, that's from what I hear...

Since your brakes are new it does prolly seem to be a loose connection of some sorts. Is your e-brake actually as strong as you feel it should be for having recently replaced the brakes in the rear? It might be loose itself, but it could also be the sensor for the bulb that's loose too, if that's how the system works I guess.

Ashley's right, sometimes that is just an indication that your brakes are starting to go and the light will come on as a result of your fluid level being low. At least, that's from what I hear...

Since your brakes are new it does prolly seem to be a loose connection of some sorts. Is your e-brake actually as strong as you feel it should be for having recently replaced the brakes in the rear? It might be loose itself, but it could also be the sensor for the bulb that's loose too, if that's how the system works I guess.

It's definitely something wrong with the e-brake, and it's getting worse.... Now the brake light stays on constantly, and the e-brake barely does anything when I pull it as far as it'll go. I won't be parking on any hills until I get it fixed, that's for sure. And now, all day binge of Homework, Mt. Dew, and Lifesavers... >_<

Yeah, the cable just sounds like it's mad loose. Have you tried adjusting it right on the handle itself? There should be a little 10mm nut you can twist if you lift up the boot. If that doesn't do anything then you gotta check where the cable actually interacts with your braking system. I'm not sure how that all works but I would imagine you could trace the lines from the center console pretty easily.

theres a little ground switch under the center console for the ebrake light. im sure its something to do with that.

I'd guess that switch is what turns the light off when the e-brake is released. But the light won't turn off even when I push the switch down myself.

Anyway, re-tensioned the e-brake just now... no dice. e-brake works properly again, but the light is still on. I'm guessing that probably means a wiring problem, which means... somebody shoot me. Far as I can tell, the portion of the wire I can see with the console taken off is fine. This is looking like it's going to be a pain. I might just drop by the Honda Dealership sometime and have them find it. Hooray for free 21-point inspections. They troubleshoot, I do the work. It works out.

Well, guess I'll guilt my sister into buying some for me... There are advantages to a sibling hitting your beloved car :p . Especially since I already blew what I made off of my Diamond headlights on gas and my credit card... :dry:

tell her to ask the clerk at the store for brake fluid, blinker fluid, and a radiator for a VW bug

Hahaha, I don't think she's that ignorant with regards to cars. Might be able to get her on the overhead canooter valve though...

Well, guess I'll guilt my sister into buying some for me... There are advantages to a sibling hitting your beloved car :p . Especially since I already blew what I made off of my Diamond headlights on gas and my credit card... :dry:

way to go. try to help the kid out. :laugh:

tell her to ask the clerk at the store for brake fluid, blinker fluid, and a radiator for a VW bug

i have done the radiator thing, except for my old Bus :laugh: i kinda miss that thing :(

if the blinker fluid wasnt outta stock i would buy some for friends as a gag gift...

they have sesonal tire air at that same website

They've got everything there, haha. Their lowering kit is classic.

Anyone else want the butt dyno?

Anyway, one of my buddies had a bottle of brake fluid sitting in his garage. Topped it off, light went out. Thanks for the help folks! :happy:

That's EXACTLY what I thought it was, but didn't say it because I thought, "Surely he's already checked that."

Archived