Official HF Random Thought Thread

CRG7

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depends on your skill level. Offering defect removal (i.e. oxidation, swirls, scratches, etc...) is going to get you more business and more money per detail. However, if you don't know what you are doing, you'll just run in circles trying to do stuff you can't.

To put it in prespective. A full detail that I might do will include wash, clay, 1-3 steps worth of compounding polishing, sealant and interior and I'd charge between 200-250 for a midsize car. It would be about an 8 hour detail and engine bay is extra.

Then I might offer a package for 125-150 for midsize that is the same as above with only a single polshing step.....removes all of the fine swirls but leaves the heavier ones. Still cleans it up nice, but not perfect....this is suitable for a lot of people. This detail would take me about 3-4 hours.

Then you might offer nothing more than a wash and wax + interior which some people want. I'd charge about 75 for that on a midsize car and it would take me about 2 hours. Engine bay is extra.

Those are just my rough prices. If I come across a car that is going to take 2 hours on clay alone, I'd throw another 50 bucks on the price and explain to the customer why. I might even do a test spot so they can feel the difference with their own (back) of their hand.

For you, offering wash and wax services may be all you want to do. If you get into full details you'd have to expect to drop about 400-500 in supplies before ever starting and you'd want to do a good 3-4 cars (family or friends) to learn before charging.

whoa, yea wash and wax for now lol imma pratice on my car cause itll take some good work cleaning it up haha

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck the wood that a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

But a woodchuck can't chuck wood so a woodchuck could chuck none.

Say that fast. Once.

No point wasting time detailing when you have bad paint and rust. Fix the rust...*then* detail. Nate...back me up here.

Yes and no. If there is "savable" paint on the car (which unless it's peeling, it's probably saveable) then it would be worth removing that dead paint and protecting it before the paint fails and peels.

If you are going to fix the rust and re-spray the whole car then no point in detailing it. If you plan to only repaint the panels with rust repair then it would be worth it to detail the car now before any more sunfade kills the clear.

Yes and no. If there is "savable" paint on the car (which unless it's peeling, it's probably saveable) then it would be worth removing that dead paint and protecting it before the paint fails and peels.

If you are going to fix the rust and re-spray the whole car then no point in detailing it. If you plan to only repaint the panels with rust repair then it would be worth it to detail the car now before any more sunfade kills the clear.

If it's never been resprayed before, then most likely paint fade is past the point of no return. I'm sure even with the fade, it's matchable, but why would anyone do it. Were it my car, I would fix the rust, then respray the whole thing.

Has any one ever tried polishing a turd?

Have you guys seen the new trend/look in modifying cars?

Rust is in. It's called the Rat look.

pic-by-stephan-repke-vw-speed-a10a4.jpg

149-vi1.jpg

PICT0067-1.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

crap crap crap...my Civic was already there.

If it's never been resprayed before, then most likely paint fade is past the point of no return. I'm sure even with the fade, it's matchable, but why would anyone do it. Were it my car, I would fix the rust, then respray the whole thing.

Same here. THough if it were my car, I'd buy the gun and attempt to spray, wetsand, buff the thing myself. If he took it to a body shop, it would be cheaper to have the rust on the rear quarters fixed, paint blended on that panel and re-clear only the rear quarters. If I was paying to have it done, that's probably what I'd do unless the rest of the paint is already crap.

All that nice fancy looking leather and (probably fake) wood. Then

BAM

Some idiot decides to put absolutely horrible looking cheap nasty crap black plastic in there.

GM isn't known for it's interiors, though by leaps and bounds I'd say any Caddy interior is nicer than most.

more importantly...a cassette deck? It's not 1995!!

Yeah they should have done it all wood, or wood/aluminium

And in case you didn't notice..the CD player..and more likely than not, it has a multiple disc cd changer.

Archived