Function and Form Type 1's

CleanGSR

Please post your experiences with the ride quality of these. How stiff? Bouncy at all? Can you compare them to any other setups? Thanks.

Oh yeah, and if you have any other recommendations for that price range or less, please post it up. I'm looking for a decent drop with decent ride quality for the cheapest amount possible. I don't want to sink very much money into this car. Suspension and some stock HX wheels/tires are about it.

Also considering some Skunk 2 Sport Shocks and Eibach Pro-kit or H&R Race Springs. That one would cost 100-150 less than FF's.

Edited by CleanGSR

No personal exp. on the FF type ones but I heard they were decent for the price, but that was based on reviews. I personally have tokico blues and some tein s techs. Not too bad of ride quality and a nice drop not as low as I wanted though.

Edit: I would go with something that some adjustability just so you can be happy. Don't know if these would be out of price range but I have heard the ksport kontrols are pretty good, will be getting a set once I get money.

Edited by 8MügeNcRX9*DuB

Well, I've learned my lesson from not doing things "right" the first time. I loved how low the integra was so might want to go that low again if I can keep the ride quality decent.

The stock shocks only have 45,000 miles so I've considered S-tech's, but I can't find any pictures of ED/EF Civic's with S-tech's for reference.

So in short, I'm not sure that I want to go really low, but I probably will in a few months when the bug bites me again.

Edit: I could also do Blue's and Ground Control's and get some extended top hats made to help with a low drop on the blues. I'm just not sure I want to mess with all of that crap again and it would be nice to get coilovers and just swap complete shock/spring assemblies.

Edited by CleanGSR

Yea, I can see you not being satisfied with a 1 or 2 inch drop.

Coilovers are nice if you want to do a lot of adjusting, but you'll probably want to go low and stay low.

So my thought is to do what you did to the GSR again. Get some good/inexpensive springs and extend the tophats. Will the stock shocks hold up like that?

Yea, I can see you not being satisfied with a 1 or 2 inch drop.

Coilovers are nice if you want to do a lot of adjusting, but you'll probably want to go low and stay low.

So my thought is to do what you did to the GSR again. Get some good/inexpensive springs and extend the tophats. Will the stock shocks hold up like that?

I couuld probably get the stock shocks to survive, but I have a feeling that any coilover witih stock shocks will be bouncy. For the price of my Illumina's, Ground Control's, and extended top hats, I could get the Type 1 Function Forms and it would be cheaper.

Just curious as to the ride quality of the FF's. I can handle a little stiff, but not if it's really stiff.

Rick....how do the S2's ride? I've always heard that they are horribly stiff.

FF's are just over 600 shipped for price reference.

Edited by CleanGSR

Yea, but how low will they let you go?

Seems you could get decent springs/tophats done for much less than $600. Add shocks, and you could probably still keep it under that price, and be much lower in height.

This dude is selling 3 used Eibach sportlines for $40/free shipping. Just gotta buy another one from Eibach. Otherwise, those springs go for around $200.

Edited by wannaBstuntin

Yea, but how low will they let you go?

Seems you could get decent springs/tophats done for much less than $600. Add shocks, and you could probably still keep it under that price, and be much lower in height.

This dude is selling 3 used Eibach sportlines for $40/free shipping. Just gotta buy another one from Eibach. Otherwise, those springs go for around $200.

Yeah, but those sportlines aren't a very big drop. Springs and shocks I could do for $450 and top hats for probably 50-75 so I'm at 500-525. Another 75 and I can get the FF full coilovers and not have to mess with removing the stock top hats to use on the new setup.

Function and Forms (from what I've seen will let you tuck tire with only being halfway down on the perch. So.....with FF's I can probably go lower than I will actually be able to drive.

I forget who has them on here besides Nancy (had them) but I'm hoping he'll chime in. Seems like Repsol maybe?...or was it TS John?

Sportlines on average are a 2" drop.

That's what I thought. While a 2" drop will keep me happy for awhile, it won't take long before I want to go lower. I'm fine with spending the money for the FF's, I just want to confrim that they aren't horribly stiff.

That's what I thought. While a 2" drop will keep me happy for awhile, it won't take long before I want to go lower. I'm fine with spending the money for the FF's, I just want to confrim that they aren't horribly stiff.

You know that when you lower it, you're gonna stiffen it up some anyway. I can never understand anyone wanting to do that to their DD.

You know that when you lower it, you're gonna stiffen it up some anyway. I can never understand anyone wanting to do that to their DD.

I know that it's gonna be stiffer than stock. That's no problem...just wondering HOW much stiffer. My Illumina's and Ground Control's were quite a bit stiffer than stock, but not harsh. That's what I'm trying to find out.

The Type 1's don't have dampening adjustment so you get what you get. I've read reviews on the Type 2's that when on the softest setting it's not much stiffer than stock. I don't get that option with Type 1's though and I'm not looking to spend a grand on a set of coilovers to get the Type 2's.

Edited by CleanGSR

I am new to suspensions, but I take it these are adjustable coil overs with adjustable struts also? If so then when they say the above how much of a drop are they talking about? Like if you go say 3" is it still ony going to be slightly stiffer than stock?? Can be pretty misleading?? Maybe its just me??

There is a shock/strut inside of the coil, which is also adjustable. You can go as low as you want, however, the shock can be soft. I had a TEIN Super Street setup like that and even at softest setting, it still bitchslapped the stock stiffness in the face.

Edited by Ben.

Shouldn't matter how much it's dropped Mike. The spring rate doesn't change based on ride height and they are designed to have plenty of shock travel regardless of the ride height. I would imagine they should ride the same all the way up on the perches as they do all the way down.

Shouldn't matter how much it's dropped Mike. The spring rate doesn't change based on ride height and they are designed to have plenty of shock travel regardless of the ride height. I would imagine they should ride the same all the way up on the perches as they do all the way down.

Correct..the actual strut that holds the spring is what adjusts the stiffness. Spring is actually pretty soft.

Nate I got the type 1's on the Del Sol right now and they are pretty stiff, alot stiffer than the stock suspension thats for sure. But I'm also riding on 17's with LP crappy tires till I get those swapped out and add some more rubber, Im sure thats some of my problem. But I got no beef with them affordable coilovers, if your looking for an adjustible setup than they're a steal IMO. If you do alot of highway driving they're not so bad, city roads (especially crappy columbus roads) they kind of suck though.

Nate I got the type 1's on the Del Sol right now and they are pretty stiff, alot stiffer than the stock suspension thats for sure. But I'm also riding on 17's with LP crappy tires till I get those swapped out and add some more rubber, Im sure thats some of my problem. But I got no beef with them affordable coilovers, if your looking for an adjustible setup than they're a steal IMO. If you do alot of highway driving they're not so bad, city roads (especially crappy columbus roads) they kind of suck though.

THanks for the mini-review. I still haven't decided which route I'm gonna go with, but leaning toward these. I'm also considering throwing some H&R Sports on my stock shocks and using the extra cash toward some decent wheels. THen I could throw some cheap Tokico Blues on if the stock shocks go.

I wish more people in this area were into honda's so I could ride in some cars with different setups. Meh...lots of deciding to do.