y premium fuel?

whatsup ppl long time no c lol.neways i acquired a new vehicle for my wife and i as a daily and i figured i should keep it honda since im that loyal lol.neways we decided on a used 02 acura mdx.ive been told it requires or is recomended that i use premium fuel i just cant c y?i know ur average person doesnt know much about engines and will probably just go with this stipulation.but im asking myself why a n/a motor with a 10.0:1 comp ratio would require a higher octane?it is a 3.5 sohc vtec v6 also if u dont know.so ne advice or knowledege will be appreciated as always.thanx

that sucks.ive also heard something about temp. in the combustion chambers?dont know if its true or not but i heard it.ive also heard the honda pilot uses the same engine but requires only 87.not really a big deal neway but where my wife is now she usually only has 89.5 available to her.otherwise it is a beautiful car.even though i havent driven it since im still in iraq.

Check the specific manual numbers.

Some cars say "premium" fuel on the fuel fill cap but what exactly this means is dubious. In most cases "premium" just means 89 which doesn't cost much more then 87 and can be found in most places. I have yet to see a vehicle in-person that actually says it requires 91/92/93/94 specifically.

the use of a high octane is required to delay the detonation/burning of the fuel in the combustion chamber until it is supposed to burn.

And vehicles that actually require in the manual 91-93 are bmws and other german cars that i can vouch for. and i know that if you put 89 in a bmw itll tap/knock like a bitch.

the difference between 91/93 and 87/89 octane is what a dollar or two? don't be cheap, but premium in your car! anything with a C/R over 10 should have higher octane. if the same engine is used in a different vehicle, maybe that engine has a lower c/r and doesn't need premium.

what's $1-$3 more dollars on a tank full anyways for peace of mind? and if you can't afford that extra 1 to 3 bucks then you shouldn't be driving that car to begin with.

I had to do the same thing with my Del Sol and my RX-8, both my cars require 93 octane. it sucks at first but after a while it won't bother you anymore and now that gas

is around $2 and in some places less.... what's to worry about?

Archived