Official General Photography Thread Mark III

sup

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've got a guy who's willing to trade an Nikon FM2N, a Nikkormat FT2, and a Nikkor-S 50 1.4 AI.

All for my Nikkor 18-200 VR.

This is awesome lol.

Here's why I love shooting RAW

Picture1-7.jpg

IMG_8933.jpg

All I see is white balance and color adjustments (no exposure changes). All of that can be done to a jpeg just as easily and the compression loss from one editing/saving session is too small to ever be noticed on a print.

I like shooting RAW too, but just saying that the shot you posted could have gotten the same results with a jpeg.

True to an extent, except opening a JPEG in a RAW editor somewhat defeats the purpose of shooting JPEG. You'll never be as precise in editing as JPEG throws away a little image data at the time of capture thanks to compression, and also you can't adjust WB in kelvin. You're either stuck with whatever presets the camera thinks is right, or you can fiddle with color adjustment in Photoshop. I always just leave the WB on my camera set to auto and fine-tune it later during PP.

True to an extent, except opening a JPEG in a RAW editor somewhat defeats the purpose of shooting JPEG. You'll never be as precise in editing as JPEG throws away a little image data at the time of capture thanks to compression, and also you can't adjust WB in kelvin. You're either stuck with whatever presets the camera thinks is right, or you can fiddle with color adjustment in Photoshop. I always just leave the WB on my camera set to auto and fine-tune it later during PP.

I do the same. I think a lot of it is not so much "raw can do so much that jpeg can't" (though there is some of this), but more that making a raw adjustment is much faster than a jpeg. I can edit my Raw's pretty quick. The biggest use for raw (in my opinion) are those occassions when you slightly over expose the sky...you can bring it back to an extent in raw but not jpeg. Or if you underexpose the scene (expose for the sky) then you can bring back the shadows better with higher quality on a raw file than Jpeg.

I am pretty amazed at some of the people who shoot jpeg with consistently great pictures. Nancy is one of these....pretty sure she always shoots jpegs and comes out with some pretty amazing pictures.

I use raw exclusively. Shoot portraits requires too much movement and light changes with every angle, so I like to be able to fix it later.

Well up until today. Now I'm balls deep in 35mm. Shot a solo performance for a country musician tonight with my FM2N, Superia Color 800, and Ilford Pro B&W 400. We'll see how they come out.....

But these old manual cameras are a lot of fun. Makes you get it right every time.

Some comments I got today while shooting the Chicago River being dyed green with my 70-200 attached:

-Guy standing next to me: "That's a hell of a camera!"

-Guy somewhere behind me: "Dude's got a Canon for real!"

-Guy standing around me: "That guy's got the spy camera out!"

-Police officer: "What are you doing, taking pictures?"

-Police officer #2: "ahahaha... facebook! Bet you're gonna sell those pictures!"

A few from an engagement session yesterday.

p439292070-4.jpg

p226905006-4.jpg

p86747657-4.jpg

I discovered that on portrait sessions, I shoot portrait orientation a lot more than landscape orientation.....so an MB-D80 grip is probably going to be my next purchase.

Archived