Official General Photography Thread Mark III

sup

How exactly to you "re-try" an Adobe software. I've never been able to get it to work again after the trial period expires.

Clear all references to it out of the registry, then reinstall. If you don't know what you're doing though, you can mess up your entire OS.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I took that same exact shot. Did you stand on the little stepping stone that they put dead-center? Ya look up and it's hard not to wanna take a picture.

Did you have those dirty immigrants coming up to you handing you a piece of paper with some poorly written sob story that's written in english even though they can't speak a word of it? "I is from bosnia an I has childs with hungry" :crazy:

lol I took that same exact shot. Did you stand on the little stepping stone that they put dead-center? Ya look up and it's hard not to wanna take a picture.

Did you have those dirty immigrants coming up to you handing you a piece of paper with some poorly written sob story that's written in english even though they can't speak a word of it? "I is from bosnia an I has childs with hungry" :crazy:

no stepping stone that I remember, I just looked up quickly and fired a few shots since it was raining

and YES I had all sorts of gypsies or whatever coming up to me with signs of their sob stories. All I did to get them away from me was mutter "ehhhh... me no speaka anglais" and they walked away lol

It's decided, I love Lightroom 2 soooo much more now that I completely figured out exporting. I figured out how to resize, sharpen, and add a watermark without having to use CS3 like I've been doing. I'm gonna cough up the cash and buy it soon.

Anywho here's some pics from today

3139481911_8e3264cf2c_o.jpg

Self-Portrait :p

3139482021_afddc75c8a_o.jpg

3139482105_86bfa7d677_o.jpg

I stopped at Best Buy today and played around with a 50D, I'm thinking about buying one for my next body. Initial impressions:

-Canon finally is putting 3" VGA screens on their bodies, and they rock. It can actually be used to check focus now. Also makes live view shooting fun. Frame rate of 30fps instead of 15fps on the 40D, and zooming to 10x magnification to check focus is even clearer now.

-AF is awesome, very fast. And I was testing this with a 70-300 IS, so it should be even better with my Ls. All 9 focus points are f/5.6 cross-type, with the center being extra sensitive to f/2.8 or faster lenses. Focus locks on with an off-center point like nothing where my XTi would struggle.

-ISO performance is on par with, if not better than the 40D despite having 50% more pixels on the same size sensor. This is thanks to the gapless microlenses and improved Digic IV processor. ISO 3200 is native finally and only shows a hint of color noise with the default 25% reduction in Lightroom. Still holds tons of detail. 1600 and 800 are really clean. The luminance noise pattern is very consistent, not splotchy. Almost has a film grain look to it.

-ISO can be expanded to 6400 and 12800. I'd only use these in emergency situations. 6400 has the possibility of being cleaned up with a NR program, and 12800 is pretty much useless. The only reason I could see these being useful is for maybe a small shot in a newspaper.

-Viewfinder is much bigger and brighter than my XTi's embarrassingly small and dim viewfinder. Shows ISO in the viewfinder too which my XTi doesn't.

-Faster buffer and faster frame rate (6.3) compared to my XTi (3)

Now sample shots. A little motion blur in some because I was wired on coffee.

ISO 800

IMG_0601.jpg

ISO 1600

IMG_0608.jpg

100% crop

IMG_0608-2.jpg

ISO 1600

IMG_0630.jpg

ISO 3200 shot in AI Servo

IMG_0615.jpg

ISO 12800

IMG_0624.jpg

ISO 6400

IMG_0625.jpg

ISO 3200

IMG_0626.jpg

ISO 1600

IMG_0627.jpg

ISO 800

IMG_0628.jpg

ISO 400

IMG_0629.jpg

All of these were shot in RAW by the way, 25% color noise reduction in Lightroom.

Now I just need to decide between buying this now, or upgrading my 70-200 to the IS version.

Well IT'S HERE! UPS guy came bright and early at 9:00am and dropped it off. Next day air FTW.

IMG_7069.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

First impressions:

Compared to my old non-IS lens, the overall build quality is much nicer. The rubber zoom and focus rings are made with a nicer material, and the turning action is dampened nicer. The IS version also has dust/weather sealing, you can see the rubber gasket in the second to last picture above. The IS is PHENOMENAL. It offers 4 stops of compensation, so taking a shot at 1/20 is the equivalent of taking it at 1/320 which is unbelievably helpful at this focal length. The IS is a little noisy, but it's not a big deal. It also has a second mode meant for panning, which will automatically detect which direction you're panning, turn the IS off in that direction to keep your panning fluid, and keep IS on in the other direction to compensate. The switchgear shown in the last pic above is nicer than the non-IS, the recessed switches are easier to use and can't be accidentally bumped.

Took a couple quick test shots around the house. More to come later.

f/4, 1/60, 200mm

IMG_7107.jpg

f/4, 1/10, 200mm

IMG_7121.jpg

F*ck me this lens is amazing! The IQ is prime-like.

f/4, 1/60, 200mm

IMG_7131.jpg

100% crop, unsharpened

IMG_7131-3.jpg

f/4, 1/500, 200mm

IMG_7143.jpg

f/4, 1/320, 70mm

IMG_7154.jpg

f/4, 1/80, 200mm

IMG_7164.jpg

100% crop, unsharpened

IMG_7164-2.jpg

So yesterday I got to shoot the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Love it and can't wait to get it ordered.....I definitely want it now.

I also got to shoot and play with a D90 for awhile. The things that amazed me the most are the viewfinder.....Holy Crap. Compared to my D70s it's like the difference of watching my 19" TV in the bedroom versus the 52" in the Living Room. I would almost upgrade for just the viewfinder. Also the 3" LCD would make things so easy to review for focus and exposure (nearly impossible on the D70s for me). Lastly...ISO. I shot a couple shots at ISO 1600, then zoomed in for quality. 1600 looks about the same as 400 on my D70s.

So, if there is any way possible, I'm going to get a D90 before that wedding and then sell the D70s afterward. Definitely craving that camera now and I was a sad panda going back to shooting the D70s later that day.

See how I felt after I got my D300? lol

That's why I want to sell my D70s, it's archaic compared to this. Plus shooting in 14 bit kicks way more ass than 8 bit.

Edit: And I just thought about it, but I bought that lens on a whim. Usually I research the crap out of glass before I buy, but walked into BestBuy one day and walked out with it. Then I found out how amazing of a lens it is.

See how I felt after I got my D300? lol

That's why I want to sell my D70s, it's archaic compared to this. Plus shooting in 14 bit kicks way more ass than 8 bit.

Edit: And I just thought about it, but I bought that lens on a whim. Usually I research the crap out of glass before I buy, but walked into BestBuy one day and walked out with it. Then I found out how amazing of a lens it is.

I try to never buy gear on a whim. If I had bought on a whim, I'd have the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 which isn't near as good as the Tammy.

I do see what you mean about the jump to your D300 now. I never really thought it would be that much different, but I was left in awe. I'm honestly a little depressed going back to shooting my D70s and almost don't have an interest to shoot. 5 minutes with the D90 kind of ruined me. Just that much more reason to upgrade bodies before the wedding in June.

Yeah but it was a great impulse buy, lol.

And you should definitely upgrade, always worth it. Or even look for a used D300. They can be had for pretty cheap now.

Self portrait, ISO 1600, no editing other than WB.

3164045103_e565611534_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived