How to disable your VTEC-E

I've been doing research and haven't found much on the VTEC-E.

i recently did some maintenance on my 92 Civic Hatch with a D15Z1 in it.

i get some hesisitation between 2500-3500rpms. i think it's the vtec-e kicking in

and then back out, cuz after 3500 it drives really good. between 2500-3500 it's

almost undrivable.

I'm thinking i may have used the wrong weight oil. 20w-50. my reasoning for this

was it was an old engine and i thought the thicker oil may help seal things up a bit.

I'm guessing wrong and I'm considering draining the oil and throwing 10w-30 or 40 in

there and see what happens.

i also replaced the spark plugs, rotor and cap. seafoam in the crankcase, vacuum line

and gas tank.

the car runs good over all except inside that rpm range. I know little about vtec-e and

any help is much appreicated as i can't seem to find much on the subject via google. :p

yea thats a common misconception...this is a honda motor not an older domestic. reason being is that the tolerances are alot tighter and 20w50 is completly unessecary and could put excess strain on the cam shaft. you should always run whats recomended in your owners manual...and its winter time right now so put in 5w-20/30 in the spring summer rock some 10w30 or stick to the 5w20/30 w/e.

however i doubt thats your issue. is it a recent occurance or always been there? ive never rocked that engine but i would kinda think it could be normal. next time you're on empty and about to fill up, throw some chevron techron fuel inector cleaner in it then fill up and that could help you out some anyways in general.

recent occurrence. I'm gonna change the oil tomorrow @ school and see if that helps. i wasn't thinking when i put that heavy oil in there.

i hate when i don't think crap through.

thanks for the quick feedback bro! :D

any others wanna chime in please feel free too :p

recent occurrence. I'm gonna change the oil tomorrow @ school and see if that helps. i wasn't thinking when i put that heavy oil in there.

i hate when i don't think crap through.

thanks for the quick feedback bro! :D

any others wanna chime in please feel free too :p

Already did, though you seem to be ignoring me on Aim now! :nono:

• 3 weeks later...

on the VTEC-E wouldn't that be the other way around? wouldn't VTEC kick in to initiate the lean burn(closing one valve half way) and then shut off in higher rpms?

i'm confused.

on top of that my problem is very very intermittent. there are days where the car runs great throughout my rpm band. and there's times when it bogs in low rpms

and runs great after 3000rpms.

and get this... when it does bog down, i can turn my car off turn it on like 2 minutes later and the problem goes away.

add a little bit of oil, you may have a small oil leak, i have the same engine, hate but have to deal with it. it does that to mine as well. i do have an oil leak, and when i add a little oil, problem is gone. and runs fine.

Archived