Brake Pads

xray328

Our '04 EX V6 needs new brake pads at 90K miles. Should I go with OEM or aftermarket? I've done the aftermarket deal before and usually get a lot of squealing/noise. Thoughts?

Dealer wants $285 to do the job. :D LOL!

Thanks in advance!

Now I just gotta get a impact screwdriver to get those pesky screws out of the rotors. :rant:

Only if you need to remove the rotors. Brake pads are removed by unscrewing the lower caliper bolt, then the caliper holder swings out of the way.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

Now I just gotta get a impact screwdriver to get those pesky screws out of the rotors. :rant:

Be careful. Those little aluminum screws strip EXTREMELY easily and I nearly stripped one even with the impact screwdriver. I ended up taking it to a mechanic to have the rotors pulled so if he stripped them, he'd have to drill them out...not me.

However, if your rotors aren't warped, you shouldn't need to remove them. Just pop one bolt off the caliper, swing it back, pop the old pads out, compress piston, install new ones. It's about a 10 minute job per side if you take your time.

Be careful. Those little aluminum screws strip EXTREMELY easily and I nearly stripped one even with the impact screwdriver. I ended up taking it to a mechanic to have the rotors pulled so if he stripped them, he'd have to drill them out...not me.

However, if your rotors aren't warped, you shouldn't need to remove them. Just pop one bolt off the caliper, swing it back, pop the old pads out, compress piston, install new ones. It's about a 10 minute job per side if you take your time.

I was always told to resurface the rotors every time to prevent premature pad wear. That being said, if they become a pain in the a$$ even with the impact, those puppies are staying on.

I read that I don't need to reinstall the screws (since they just use them to hold the rotor on for the assembly line). Is that true?

I was always told to resurface the rotors every time to prevent premature pad wear. That being said, if they become a pain in the a$$ even with the impact, those puppies are staying on.

I read that I don't need to reinstall the screws (since they just use them to hold the rotor on for the assembly line). Is that true?

If you don't put the screws on, then the rotor will be held in place when you tighten down the lugnuts when the wheel is on. With no screws, the rotor will be loose everytime you take the wheel off the car. Reinstall the screws, just use some antizieze.

Archived