winter driving tips!

C92hatchX

ill completely disagree with this statement....it maybe '08 but when were these vehicles manufatured? well his was 92-95...a high chance that it doesnt have ABS(which ABS sux btw). If you know what you're doing you can stop better with out ABS than a vehicle with abs. In the snow even abs wont save your ass, and in order for it to work properly you can't pump the brakes. This system provides a false sense of security because you will still hydroplain under braking significantly.

Now with out the use of an ABS system you have the ability to CONTROL your braking abilities which should be utilized as an aid for engine braking. you can play the brakes and react faster because you have the ability to see whats ahead of you, ABS does not...

Braking while steering is a huge no-no, thatll cause you to understeer faster than a fly on a pyle of crap.

now lets say you are now understeering off of the road with zero traction on your front wheels, what do you do? Turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide until you regain some traction, then play that back and forth so you can complete the turn. and you dont even have to be going fast for this to occur. you can understeer in the snow going 10mph on a corner that is normally 30mph...its all relative to the situation that you are driving in.

As for snow tires..they're nice and imho are greatly needed on a RWD vehicle, since i had a friend driving in a straight line going well under the speed limit in her 93 bmw 325is spin out it was actually quite comical. On a fwd vehicle they're a nice little extra bonus and could make driving in the snow a lil more easy, but you could easily get by with out them if you have plenty of tread depth left on your tires.

Bridgestone/firestone(w/e they are) Blizzaks are the top snow tire.

what exactly are you disagreeing with? pumping brakes? you should never pump brakes EVER! everything else in that statement is based on

driving my own del sol and being able to start in 1 2 or 3rd gear.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what exactly are you disagreeing with? pumping brakes? you should never pump brakes EVER! everything else in that statement is based on

driving my own del sol and being able to start in 1 2 or 3rd gear.

yea disagreeing with pumping the brakes the rest is just technique etc. i agree with if youve got no traction to start off in 2nd etc. although you can get a car to crawl in 1st w/o loosing traction if you play it right. i drove the sol in the winter one year and it handled extremly well, but there was an issue of the snow banks being 2-4 feet taller than my roof line and no one could see me, plus the road salt only adds to the rust. So i decided to get myself a winter vehicle which is a '94 camry also handles very well in the snow, and slightly more predictable especailly when 'playing' around. only down side to that car is its an auto..

well i put the steelies on, (14's with bran new snow tires), up front, and ive, been practicing alot, and playing alot lol, and im fine with it for now but im being extra careful no matter what

should i wash my car like weekly to get all the salt and stuff off to prevent major rust?

well i put the steelies on, (14's with bran new snow tires), up front, and ive, been practicing alot, and playing alot lol, and im fine with it for now but im being extra careful no matter what

should i wash my car like weekly to get all the salt and stuff off to prevent major rust?

Where the real damage occurs with road de-icers\salt is underneath, and inside wheel wells! I wash my car weekly and at one of our locations run back and forth over the under carriage spray! :thumbsup: Are they still using salt back east, or are they using Magnesium and calcium chloride?? Which when they first were introduced were worse than salt! >_<

i think salt still

Sucks to be you! :p

Now that they have proper amount of rust\corrosion inhibitors in the ice melts all is good, and intersections are clear of all ice here! :thumbsup:

Oh and the whole reason I like manuals of autos in the snow and ice, is compression braking FTMFW! :heart:

No.

Better because it melts snow/ice faster and at a lower ambient temperature then regular salt. It also is somewhat less harmful to the environment then plain salt as well. The runoff is not as harmful to cropland, fish, and all that fun stuff.

The key is to hose out the wheel well areas. Not the inside back part, but the seam where the wheel well part meets the sheet metal on your exterior. Particularly the front and back edges. Salt and water get trapped in that flat area and just eat away the car (the rust on yours is a prime example of salt and water getting into the flat spot on the trailing edge of the wheel well seam.

i feel the same way, ok, should i wash my under carriage and body weekly?....at a car wash....during winter

yes do that. or if you just get a power washer you can do it at home. like he said, get the wheel wells really well and the undercarriage.

but did you say you start your sol in 3rd?

I'd commented that if you're gentle enough on the clutch, you could probably start it in 3rd gear. I also mentioned that doing that will do some serious damage to your clutch. I was making a point... I think...

I'd commented that if you're gentle enough on the clutch, you could probably start it in 3rd gear. I also mentioned that doing that will do some serious damage to your clutch. I was making a point... I think...

why would that do damage to your clutch? the strain on the firction pads/plates being sheered off? I think the stock oem clutch is alot better than people seem to make it out to be. granted it over heats and wont hold for the most part a burn out in 2nd etc. but the disc material lasts a long time...I removed a clutch when i did my engine swap that had aprx. 180k miles on it and theres still a but load of material left, and that had been abused miles as well.

Archived