winter driving tips!

C92hatchX

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good. just take it easy. pretend you're like 85 with bad vision and you see thru your steering wheel! :p

Amen :thumbsup:

If it's really bad, might consider chains... but considering you aren't in the Rockies, probably not worth the hassle.

good. just take it easy. pretend you're like 85 with bad vision and you see thru your steering wheel! :p

haha i dont think that will turn out to well, but im kinda getting use to it but i have yet to perfect!, like driving on shiit roads whille snowing like crazy at night!, during rush hour :crazy:

isnt that illegal?, cause it tears up the road or something?

*shrugs* no idea, I grew up in Seattle. You HAD to have chains if you were driving around the mountains, otherwise they wouldn't let you up.

chains? what is this 1980?

studded snows nukka

Chains are cheaper, we be broke :dry:

and new pads and rotors wont help the same way ABS does...

Care to make an estimate on how much it would cost to add ABS to a Civic?

I'd love to turn my Si into a vtec, so this isn't just idle speculation.

And for not driving in the snow? I live in rochester, every time we have we have fresh powder on the road I head out. :)

Heck yes, driving in the snow is fun if you keep your cool w00t

avoid steep snow covered hills. lol

Pretty much... not sure even winter tires will do you much good on a steep hill with 2 inches of snow... Starting on a hill in those conditions just isn't gonna work... Maybe with 4WD or AWD... think you can fit that into a Civic or Sol? Hmm... AWD Del Sol... :drool:

ive seen an awd civic.

actually, there was a thread about one here on hf like 2 years ago. i think it was turbocharged too. they put a talon drivetrain in it i believe.

but i cant remember for sure.

subaru ftw!

no it was a AWD civic hatch drive train. yes they existed in the 80s.

There is also a Del Sol used for rally with a very well done CRV swap.

^ I'll keep that in mind... Maybe get a VTEC and throw that in for lots of fun in the snow and sand 8)

Practice and be calm.

Despite what all these people say that's all there is too it. Whenever it is snowing and you have the time head out for a short drive. People being in a hurry, getting upset or angry at the weather and inexperience are what causes accidents. Stop reading HF and just go out and drive some more.

no it was a AWD civic hatch drive train. yes they existed in the 80s.

There is also a Del Sol used for rally with a very well done CRV swap.

i wasnt talking about the old civic hatches. im talking about an ek i believe it was with a talon drivetrain.

put some extra weight in the car, this made a world of difference in my truck, although the ass end of trucks are very light. and i'm pretty sure that if the weather is that bad chains would be allowed, they are in comufornia. a 90lb bag of cement in the back of my right right over the axle did the trick. basically (other than practice) do what you can to get the tires to get through the snow and bite into the road underneath, that is assuming you don't have a thick layer on the road. i went from my 4,000lb truck to my parents 6,000lb SUV, same tires, and the suv felt like a tank, as long as i didn't get into more than a foot of snow the things stayed on the road just fine.

if you start to hydroplane out of control, REMEMBER your car will go in the direction your front wheels are pointing

when you regain traction to those tires! don't panic, don't slam on your brakes, you'll just make your skid worse!

I'm new to the cold east coast and one early morning, on the highway ramp, my car lost control going 35-40mph, and my car spun twice almost (one whole 360 and one almost 270) and I kept steering to not go off the road. I didn't go off the road and nothing happened to my car. I stopped facing the entrance almost. It was very early in the morning (going to work) so no one was around, so I just put in 1st and drove away and got on the highway.

My friends have had this happen on that same ramp and they went off the road because they freaked out.

Just realize that you shouldn't overly turn your steering wheel to "make up" for the turn! You have to do just enough to gain traction back again. Don't panick either because that messes it all up. :D

I'm looking forward to the winter/snow lol. I have been using my scraper though hehe.

Drive slower. That's all there is to it. If you drive slower, then you won't even have to worry about these other problems people are describing.

I totaled my car going the speed limit on the highway couple years ago AND got a ticket for going too fast for the conditions AND had to take a defensive driving course AND pay for the class.

I think that's enough incentive to drive 5-15mph UNDER the speed limit during bad weather.

that's wrong. drive the clutch as you normally would. just drive slower.

and in any condition NEVER PUMP YOUR BRAKES! it's 2008 not 1958!

we have power assisted brakes! if your brakes suck that bad, DON'T f*cking DRIVE!

As for stalling in 2nd... if you have really long gears like i do in my hatch, start in first, just be slow about it.

there is no need to be in a hurry in the snow or any bad weather.

In my del sol i can start in 3rd cuz my gears are super short, in my hatch, starting in 2nd can be tricky cuz

of the very long gear ratio. just take it easy

ill completely disagree with this statement....it maybe '08 but when were these vehicles manufatured? well his was 92-95...a high chance that it doesnt have ABS(which ABS sux btw). If you know what you're doing you can stop better with out ABS than a vehicle with abs. In the snow even abs wont save your ass, and in order for it to work properly you can't pump the brakes. This system provides a false sense of security because you will still hydroplain under braking significantly.

Now with out the use of an ABS system you have the ability to CONTROL your braking abilities which should be utilized as an aid for engine braking. you can play the brakes and react faster because you have the ability to see whats ahead of you, ABS does not...

Braking while steering is a huge no-no, thatll cause you to understeer faster than a fly on a pyle of crap.

now lets say you are now understeering off of the road with zero traction on your front wheels, what do you do? Turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide until you regain some traction, then play that back and forth so you can complete the turn. and you dont even have to be going fast for this to occur. you can understeer in the snow going 10mph on a corner that is normally 30mph...its all relative to the situation that you are driving in.

As for snow tires..they're nice and imho are greatly needed on a RWD vehicle, since i had a friend driving in a straight line going well under the speed limit in her 93 bmw 325is spin out it was actually quite comical. On a fwd vehicle they're a nice little extra bonus and could make driving in the snow a lil more easy, but you could easily get by with out them if you have plenty of tread depth left on your tires.

Bridgestone/firestone(w/e they are) Blizzaks are the top snow tire.

Have you driven in the snow with an automatic then? Same difference, only there is a clutch involved now. Changing transmission doesn't magically change the way you should approach driving in the snow.

As for an AWD drivetrain for a Talon, find me one cheap, k?

i have a lot of experience driving in the snow since i grew up in vermont and school wouldnt be canceled unless we had over a foot on the road and more to come.

seriously what you should do, if it snows in your area, go to an empty parking lot, like a ski resort after they close, and practice driving there. don't be a weiner and go power sliding all over the place, but practice stopping quick, and get the rear end loose a little and try to correct it. once you have the experience you will be very comfortable driving in the snow and wont freak out if you hit some black ice or something.

a majority of the crashes are when the car looses control for a second and the person either screams and lets go of the wheel (girls), or just slams on their brakes and then they go sliding in whatever direction the car started to skid. so dont do either of those things, stay calm, and its really not that bad

Have you driven in the snow with an automatic then? Same difference, only there is a clutch involved now. Changing transmission doesn't magically change the way you should approach driving in the snow.

Yes, driving in the snow with an automatic vs. with a manual isn't all that different... Except in ways it HAS to be different. But that's not the issue here. The issue is not having ABS or snow tires. Big difference depending on if you do or don't have those.

Oh, starting in second means less torque goes to your wheels when starting. Less torque = less likely to spin your wheels in place. Yes, it's a little hard on your clutch, but it works. Don't make me bust out the cliches.

And why would you drive an automatic in the snow, let alone at all, if you have a car that's a manual?

Manual > Automatic. 8)

barely cause i didnt have my license till the summer, and my mom never really let me drive in the snow

i was drivng home from changing the tires and i was messing around going like 5-10 mph and "Drifting", and i spun out and i kept my cool and did what you guys told my to do and it was all good, and dont worrie i was in the back roads, no cars parked on the road either, like i went one way the i got shot the other, i just turned the wheel the way i needed it to go, i didnt save it but i didnt wreck or anything

Archived