winter driving tips!

C92hatchX

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well really the hardest part is braking andd taking off from intersections! Use compression braking alot! Take 2-3 times the distance to brake! Watch crosswalk signs for good indicator of when lights are going to change! Here they start flashing when light is getting ready to change! Make sure you leave plenty of space between you and car stopped in front of you, also double or triple normal distance between you and car moving in front of you! Also watch out for the ASSSholes, that like to pull out in front of you!! :crazy:

There thats a start! >_<

understand when you have the most traction:

When the wheels are straight and on dry surface. If in actual snow your traction is greatly reduced however if the wheels spin while the wheels are straight the results are rarely damaging. If you loose traction mid turn due to snow, ice, or too much throttle... the results are dangerous as you will continue in a direction tangent to your turn.

equally if not more important is braking traction. Again, you have the best braking traction when the wheels are pointed straight ahead and on a dry surface. however this time if you loose traction during braking with the wheels straight ahead you will keep up your momentum into the car or whatever is in front of you... around a turn the results are the same as above.

So what do you do about this...

1. only accelerate or decelerate with the wheels in a straight line.

2. leave extra room between you and the car in front of you in case of sudden loss of braking traction.

3. Accelerate slowly and allow the car to cost and compression brake to slow it as much as possible before using the actual brakes. this will help bring your speed down reducing the chances of loosing traction during actual braking.

Yes, I am really that bored.

PS

Go find a empty parking lot and play in the snow! I love playing any ways, and I have a different car every winter! :D

Practice getting control of sliding, of braking, turning, and accelerating! Also the reason why you want alot of space at intersections between you and other car in front is you dont want to get rearended and sent into car in front! Then you also allow yoursself a cushion to start forward slowly to go on light! :thumbsup:

PS

Go find a empty parking lot and play in the snow! I love playing any ways, and I have a different car every winter! :D

Practice getting control of sliding, of braking, turning, and accelerating! Also the reason why you want alot of space at intersections between you and other car in front is you dont want to get rearended and sent into car in front! Then you also allow yoursself a cushion to start forward slowly to go on light! :thumbsup:

oh belive me, i had a blast in my schools parking lot this moring with the e-break,....i cal it sloooo-mooo drifting

your too quick on the clutch. you should be able to get traction in every gear as long as your not stuck, slow on the clutch, and easy on the gas.

gotcha

Honda's are specifically designed to have a ton of understeer. from the factory they decided that it was safer to plow off the road head first rather then to go spinning through an intersection.

The only real way for you to lose traction with the rear wheels is if only your rear tires hit a patch of ice mid turn. highly unlikely.

For winter driving:

you need 4(FOUR) F O U R, good winter tires!

driving a manual.... start off in 2nd gear if you're constantly loosing traction.

SLOW THE f*ck DOWN!!!!!! seriously it's snowing out drive slow!!!!

use all your mirrors.

DON'T accelerate around turns and corners, there is also a thing called BLACK ICE!

give your self PLENTY of room for braking for stop signs, stop lights, people whatever! triple or quadruple your braking distance!

ONLY DRIVE IF YOU NEED TO!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Chicago and winters here can be pretty brutal! i can only imagine that it can be even worse in some areas!

having a front wheel drive lower powered vehicle is a good thing in the winter! be safe! get yourself a good ice scraper and

make sure your windows are free from snow and ice so you can see! same for your lights too so others can see you!

as for body work.... wait until it gets warmer or your body work will look like crap! body work and painting on cars really

needs to be done in a warm environment so your crap don't crack and look horrible! besides if you're new to driving in the

snow then what's the point in fixing dents when you might incur a few more.

Car pool if you can too.

if you start to hydroplane out of control, REMEMBER your car will go in the direction your front wheels are pointing

when you regain traction to those tires! don't panic, don't slam on your brakes, you'll just make your skid worse!

if you find yourself sliding let off the gas, remain calm and keep those wheels in the direction you want your car to go.

Feather clutch, pump brakes, start in 2nd, take it easy.:thumbsup:

that's wrong. drive the clutch as you normally would. just drive slower.

and in any condition NEVER PUMP YOUR BRAKES! it's 2008 not 1958!

we have power assisted brakes! if your brakes suck that bad, DON'T f*cking DRIVE!

As for stalling in 2nd... if you have really long gears like i do in my hatch, start in first, just be slow about it.

there is no need to be in a hurry in the snow or any bad weather.

In my del sol i can start in 3rd cuz my gears are super short, in my hatch, starting in 2nd can be tricky cuz

of the very long gear ratio. just take it easy

i wont stall out from starting in 2nd?

Feather clutch, you can start in 3rd if you're gentle enough... and aren't worried about burning up your clutch.

we have power assisted brakes! if your brakes suck that bad, DON'T f*cking DRIVE!

Says the man with the Vtec. If you slide and you don't have ABS, you pump your brakes. What do you think ABS does?

that's wrong. drive the clutch as you normally would. just drive slower.

and in any condition NEVER PUMP YOUR BRAKES! it's 2008 not 1958!

yea i dont have abs my friend but breaks and rotors are bran spanking new!

Archived