The Official Winter beater thread

Ksol

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do in winter?

• Drive the same car as always
    • Store it and drive my beater
    • what's a beater?

Alright well winter is almost here and I searched the forum to find a similar topic but couldn't find one. I know some of us drive our cars year round because we have nothing else, but I also know that those who care deeply about their car and can afford to drive something else and store their 'nice' car.

I myself store my del sol every year for two reasons; one being it would not fare well in winter, and secondly because I like it too much to put it through such a thing.

Please include pictures of what your winter beater may be:

Mine is this : av1ae8.jpg

Edited by Ksol

I'm a poor college student. I drive my Civic all year. If I had money, I'd have a Subie for winter.

it just so happens that I, have a subie for winter.:thumbsup:

IMG_0817.jpg

when i get it back, im thinking about investing in some skid plates so the road salt and sand doesnt f*ck up the bottom of my car.

You generally will not have a problem with sand and salt on the bottom of the car as there is nothing in that area to cause large quantities of such substances to spray onto that surface. Your problem will be with the insides of the wheel wells. Common issue with all northern cars that use salt specifically. The salt chunks get up into the well and corrode the clear and paint, sometimes from the inside of the metal depending on the design of your cars wells. When the stuff gets up in there is does not dry quickly, unlike the bottom of the car which dries out pretty fast. To save your car make a stop at the car wash every nice day and go out of your way to hose out the wheel wells - paying careful attention to the corners of rolled metal flange where it reaches the front and the rear edge of the well.

My winter beater:

DSCF1852.jpg

One car and one car only... can barely afford the one, haha. I'll probably be looking for skid plates somewhere down the road, and eventually have a winter set of rims and tires for the 3-4 months out of the year I need them...

One car and one car only... can barely afford the one, haha. I'll probably be looking for skid plates somewhere down the road, and eventually have a winter set of rims and tires for the 3-4 months out of the year I need them...

That's what the stock wheels are for...

That's what the stock wheels are for...

My car came with the giant bronze rims... I might just get 2 sets of stock alloys to be honest, I like 'em. Winter tires on one, high performance all seasons on the other... Or I'll get Gram 57f's, after 10 years of saving.

i got my 4x4 del sol.

005.jpg

Ha Ha same here.

Maybe not at high but I got big tires and it is sitting pretty high.

Picture129.jpg

Same car all year round. It may snow once in a million years down here where I live in Florida.

One car all year around... Well normally every december I get a new car or something different. Its funny cause I am about to get the 240sx going. That is my new car this year.

Yeah I know I don't have to worry about driving around a different car, I live close enough to flordia I get the weather up here. It is quite nice. haha.

Florida equals no snow, which equals no winter car.

I can appreaciate the financial hardships some of our members experience and believe the following statement sums it up:

Sometimes your "winter car" is the same car you drive all year.

My CRX was a beater, so I speak from experience. You know money is tight when all you can afford to do is put gas in the tank and wash it.

I love how noones posted a picture of a "beater" yet rofl. Rich MOFOS! J/p but yeah looks like I'll be roughing it in the Del Sol, but hopefully I should have a nice set of winter rims and tires to go along with my new increase in power. Theres usually only a few BAD days of snow and I live in the big city next to the big roads so I'll fare good enough. Next winter though after paint my baby's getting garaged!

You want a beater:

Couple of ex winter cars of mine:

(Despite the outward nice appearance the jeep has no interior and no floorboards. I used the lids off of Compaq servers to cover the floor holes.)

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

319990_10_full.jpg

Edited by Xeryon