gsr vs type r

hey guys...new to the forums..i love my civic...its a 00 ex...i started out cheap crap...ya know header full exhaust intake plugs wires...bullshat...but i'm pretty much ready to do a swap...iv been doing alot of reading on different engines...and all i know is that from what iv read...ls vtec sucks!!!...unelss you do it right cuz the r/s ratio is not set up for it...hmotorsonline and tigerjapanese are some pretty good sights for engines but i don't know exactly what to do...type r or gsr...gsr is good for building but type r is pretty much allready set up for anything...unless i wanna put forged crap in it...allready cammed to perfection...header intake...everythings allready set up...so stock type r or built gsr???

hey guys...new to the forums..i love my civic...its a 00 ex...i started out cheap crap...ya know header full exhaust intake plugs wires...bullshat...but i'm pretty much ready to do a swap...iv been doing alot of reading on different engines...and all i know is that from what iv read...ls vtec sucks!!!...unelss you do it right cuz the r/s ratio is not set up for it...hmotorsonline and tigerjapanese are some pretty good sights for engines but i don't know exactly what to do...type r or gsr...gsr is good for building but type r is pretty much allready set up for anything...unless i wanna put forged crap in it...allready cammed to perfection...header intake...everythings allready set up...so stock type r or built gsr???

what's in your wallet? and do you enjoy doing your own work?

what's in your wallet? and do you enjoy doing your own work?

i got the cash...like i said...i was 19 when i bought my civ and didnt know crap when i bought it...i jsut wanted one...i shoulda bought a si or something...but i don't mind doing my own work...i'm jsut limited on tools since i go to school right now

^you could add LSD to gsr :D I have a gsr with LSD...

So you would leave the type-R stock? is this for everyday driving? IMO, gsr is a much better daily driver than type-R (reason why I bought a gsr instead of type-R)...

yeah basically everyday driving...if i were to race with anything id import a skyline...but this is my primary vehicle...i mean don't get me wrong...id play with it alot...sit in winter...the cars never seen a winter or more than about an hour of rain...so why gsr though...what makes it a better daily driver

type-R is more rev-hungry...and I believe the older ones are noisier inside because they don't have inside insulation for noise...

All B-series are rev hungry, in that they don't make power until you get into the upper RPM band.

All B-series are rev hungry, in that they don't make power until you get into the upper RPM band.

It takes some getting used too as well I find myself crusing in town in 5th gear nowadays lol.

i got the cash...like i said...i was 19 when i bought my civ and didnt know crap when i bought it...i jsut wanted one...i shoulda bought a si or something...but i don't mind doing my own work...i'm jsut limited on tools since i go to school right now

cool. well i'd suggest build the gsr, why take a superiorly built ITR motor and turbocharge it?

not that the GSRs are built bad, but that's what I'd do if I were to drive it daily :thumbsup:

i was gonna buy a type R back a while ago and istead my homebody that onw a GSR said no if your going to get a VTEC honda just get a GSR. same motor just dif cams and compression. just but a JDM GSR motor and put stage 2 or 3 cams and its better then a GSR. if your going to boost but low comp pistons and type R cams cause the cams r better for boost in a type R motor. and if u go GSR istead of tpye R you saving about 2000 for parts.

That is true except for the low end power motors like the b18b or ls and b20 motor which don't rev very high compared to a type r or gsr or b16 motor.

I would go with the gsr. Cheaper and you can easily make up for the power difference with bolt ons with the money you saved by buying the gsr engine, but yet the type r is great for all motor and quick out the box, plus you get bragging rights.

That is true except for the low end power motors like the b18b or ls and b20 motor which don't rev very high compared to a type r or gsr or b16 motor.

I would go with the gsr. Cheaper and you can easily make up for the power difference with bolt ons with the money you saved by buying the gsr engine, but yet the type r is great for all motor and quick out the box, plus you get bragging rights.

What? They still don't reach max power until 5400 for the B20, and 6k or higher for the B18. I wouldn't call either of those low-end power. The GSR is a better motor simply because it's powerful enough, cheaper than a Type R, and with bolt-ons can make decent power. personally, I'd go B18B, build and boost.

i was gonna buy a type R back a while ago and istead my homebody that onw a GSR said no if your going to get a VTEC honda just get a GSR. same motor just dif cams and compression. just but a JDM GSR motor and put stage 2 or 3 cams and its better then a GSR. if your going to boost but low comp pistons and type R cams cause the cams r better for boost in a type R motor. and if u go GSR istead of tpye R you saving about 2000 for parts.

O'rly?

Different cylinder head

different springs

different intake valves

different cams

different intake manifold

different exhaust manifold

different throttle body

different oil pump (original)

different block

different crank

different rods

different pistons

different rod bolts

different flywheel

different clutch

O'rly?

Different cylinder head

different springs

different intake valves

different cams

different throttle body

different block

different crank

different rods

different pistons

different rod bolts

different flywheel

different clutch

Pssst...he already said the cams were different.

Seriously, just pullin' your leg.

What? They still don't reach max power until 5400 for the B20, and 6k or higher for the B18. I wouldn't call either of those low-end power. The GSR is a better motor simply because it's powerful enough, cheaper than a Type R, and with bolt-ons can make decent power. personally, I'd go B18B, build and boost.

I mean like they are super rev happy like the type r or gsr the red line in the 8 or 9 grand area. But I am with you on the same Idea. LS engine is great for boost. But should he go lsvtec or stay to normal ls non vtec?

O'rly?

Different cylinder head

different springs

different intake valves

different cams

different throttle body

different block

different crank

different rods

different pistons

different rod bolts

different flywheel

different clutch

Yeah those are entirely two different engines.

Archived