1995 Accord V6 and Oil

jwpaton

I have had my Accord for about 8 years now and love it. I bought a house last year with a garage and I finally got to get it in out of the weather. About a week later I noticed drops of oil on the floor. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that this tends to happen with my type of V6. I have noticed that my Accord is unique and have been told that this is the first year Honda put a V6 in the Accord. My car has about 172,000 miles on it and my mechanic said that repairs are just way too costly for a car with that many miles and 13 years old. He also said the car will be fine if I keep an eye on the oil and stay on time with my oil changes. It has been a year and I have not had to add oil yet. I go every three months regardless of mileage. My Accord has been retired as the main family car so it just commutes to work now. Has anyone else experienced this with their Accords? Are their any other 1995 V6 Accord owners out there? I have been to many shops since I bought this car and been told many times that they have never seen an Accord like mine...needless to say, I didn't go back to those places.

I am not a car guy...just a music teacher...so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, JP

Your engine: C27A

1987 Acura Legend Coupe , 161 hp (120 kW)

1988-1990 Acura Legend, 161 hp (120 kW)

1995-1997 Honda Accord, 170 hp (128 kW)

In 1995, the Accord debuted a V6 engine, the 2.7 L C27 from the Acura Legend, in the U.S. market. The V6 was offered in the LX and EX versions of the sedan. Both versions of the V6 received a dual-outlet exhaust, a 4-speed automatic transmission, 15" wheels and a slightly updated front grille. The Accord saw very little other changes in 1995 with the exception of a few different exterior/interior color combinations.

After that generation, they (accords) seem to all be F, J, and K series engines.

Not sure if that's the kind of info you were looking for. I wouldn't say 94-97 Accords are rare though.

Good to hear you take care of it. Welcome to HF. Pics or ban! :thumbsup:

+1 on the previous post.

I have oil leaks with my 1997 V6. We have alot of seals and they do age over time. Here are the list of gaskets I have changed, and when upon changing the gasket was so old that it was hard and brittle:

Oil pan gasket - I had to scrap the old hard gasket from the pan

Valve cover gasket - there are 4 covers, I believe past mechanics avoided the one next to the fire wall since it hard to get to, the other three were so obviously newer

Oil Sending gasket - the peice the oil filter screws onto is bolted to the block and has gasket between it and the block, mine was old and brittle

My oil loss has been reduced significantly, but is still present. I will be pressure washing the engine to get a good look at the issue (all the aforementioned issues have created quite a mess on the bottom end of the block).

Thanks for the info...I am taking my car in for an oil change this week and will check with the mechanic about those places you listed. Do you ever get a burning smell in your car? I do but I never see smoke. I am assuming this is from the oil leak but I am not quite sure.

JP

I just had one of those in the shop. The rear main seal on that car was leaking. Undoubtly you should have your car looked over for the leaks at a place that you can trust and hot try and sell you everything under the sun. The main causes for oil leaks that I deal with on your V6 (V6 Acura CL of your gen. has same basic setup (James knows what I am talking about),

1. valve cover gasket(s)

2. oil pressure sending unit

3. oil pan seal

4. cam seals

and sometime we see the ocassional crank seal or rear main seal

I would certainly take into question someone telling you it would be too much to fix. If the cars body is in good condition (which it sounds like it is), then the rest is mechanial. You could always sell yours (a car not well know to have trany issues) and get a 98+ V6 automatic Accord and find yourself in the relm of tranny issues. I would seriously look at your options prior to unloading that thing. My two cents....

Thanks for the info...I will check with my shop tomorrow and let you know what happens. I have no plans on unloading my Accord. I just found these forums and I want to get the advice of others so I can make the best possible decisions and maintain my car to the best of my ability. I have had Honda's in the past and when it came time to trade in one of our cars, my wife and I traded hers (1997 Oldsmobile Achieva) simply because it wasn't a Honda. My last Honda (1987 CRX) went for 175,000 miles and still got 40 miles to the gallon. When the transmission finally went, I had to let it go because it had already failed inspection twice in PA becasue the body was rusted. Hopefully, this Honda will go even further.

JP

Oil Sending gasket - the peice the oil filter screws onto is bolted to the block and has gasket between it and the block, mine was old and brittle

2. oil pressure sending unit

Thanks man, I couldn't remember what that thing was called. Mine was rock hard.

My side valve cover (facing the firewall) was completely hardened with a 2mm crack at the bottom. I replaced it and stopped the smoking, but still had some leaking.

• 4 months later...
ya i have a 95 v6 honda accord just like yours exept not stock and every once in a while all find drops of oil on the floor but i just keep oil in it dont know what the problem is yet.

OLD Thread Man!!!

Archived