Honda MPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, most wheel size changes are pretty much compensated by using smaller sidewalls on the tires, unless you specifically buy the wrong ones or something. To a point, obviously. That homeboy driving down the highway doing 85 with Ds on that bitch prolly thinks he's going 35 mph...

I don't get how I get so much lower mileage than nearly everyone on here. I don't think I drive harder than most people but I guess it's possible. I get about 32-3 mpg average on my all-city tanks (absolutely no highway) and have never done an all-highway tank with this car yet to test properly.

To get 42 in the sol has been pretty easy:

-Properly inflated tires to max recommended pressure of the tire (not the car)

-Keep it at 55 or 65 depending on the street(that's our speed limits in OH anyway)

-Coasting in neutral. I don't do any of that ridiculous stuff hypermilers do, but coasting up to stops you know you have to make is a huge difference. Making that driving style change alone added 3-4mpg. Rule of thumb: The more you hit the brakes the worse your MPG will be.

-Taking hills at a level acceleration. It feels really weird, but as long as you are not holding up traffic when you go up and over a hill do not change your accelerator level (if you don't slow down too much). If you hold the pedal steady you will not use extra gas to maintain the higher speed up the incline. On the downside keep the pedal the same (or let go entirely and coast if the hill is steep enough). Just don't get a ticket rolling down the other side. This is a main-stay for truckers. Partly the reason why they slow down and speed up so much over hills is to save fuel. A steep enough or long enough hill this method doesn't work, but it is great for smaller ones.

I did get 44 mpg all-highway in my last sol. The thing is that I already do the whole coasting thing a lot. I try to coast to stops instead of the whole "accelerate till you have to brake" thing most people do all the time. I have a fairly light driving style, but I honestly think that it might just be that I do all city all the time and nearly all my trips are short.

--Less than 2 miles to nearly all friends houses.

--6 miles to school.

--3 or 4 miles to work.

On your average day I'll go about 15 miles and that's all light-to-light. Maybe I should just be pleased with 32 under those conditions? I'd rather get that and enjoy driving than hypermile and hate it every time I get in my car.

Edit: I really can't wait till I can just get a bike. Or till when it warms up -- I should just ride a bicycle...

...but I honestly think that it might just be that I do all city all the time and nearly all my trips are short.

... I'd rather get that and enjoy driving than hypermile and hate it every time I get in my car.

The all city is what is killing you.

You don't have to get all crazy hypermiling to get better fuel efficiency. Sounds like you already utilize several of the core ideas of a hypermiler anyway. :thumbsup:

I would take that 32 and be pleased - All city and you haven't needed to compromise on your style to do it.

I have an 89 Accord LX-I I put 8 gallons in and got about 3/4 of a tank. It only got me about 180 miles before it hit E. I guess thats around 22 mpg. I guess it's getting pretty crappy because it needs a tune up and maintenance... I just got it.

The all city is what is killing you.

You don't have to get all crazy hypermiling to get better fuel efficiency. Sounds like you already utilize several of the core ideas of a hypermiler anyway.:thumbsup:

I would take that 32 and be pleased - All city and you haven't needed to compromise on your style to do it.

What he said. 32 MPG all city, is actually better than the EPA estimate.

Not for long. OPEC is convening again and will likely cut production to force oil barrel pricing back up to around $100 a barrel. Right now it is about 70-75.

Offshore drilling, FTW!!

hell yes!!! why not?

we're working on alternative fuels, with them assuming two years worth of fuel, we could quit depending on imported fuels and boost the economy at the same time. then maybe we can convince all the oklahoma and texas people with oil to sell theirs too! :thumbsup:

Old school USA FTMFW!!!

hell yes!!! why not?

You miss the core of the problem. All these other idiots yelling drill baby drill apparently don't understand that it requires years to design and build oil rigs and derricks. Sure, we can open up everything and whore it out to save some money: 3-4 years from now. By then oil might not be the mainstay fuel anyway. I'm all for energy independence, but opening up all the oil fields won't help us any faster then investing that money into anything else.

You miss the core of the problem. All these other idiots yelling drill baby drill apparently don't understand that it requires years to design and build oil rigs and derricks. Sure, we can open up everything and whore it out to save some money: 3-4 years from now. By then oil might not be the mainstay fuel anyway. I'm all for energy independence, but opening up all the oil fields won't help us any faster then investing that money into anything else.

makes sense.

we could open back up the oil rigs that are just sitting in the mid-west, if the people who owned them would stop being bitchy about it

That's the attitude that won us the space race!! :rolleyes:

It's the attitude of the common person doesn't have the sense to open their eyes.

The answers to these things are right in front of them and they refuse to look.

Drill for more oil, sure. It will not solve anything TODAY, which is what the people want and what a lot of the politicians (on both sides) have lead people to believe.. There are lots of small things that can be done now, which can ease the energy pain, but instead of doing these things most people just complain more.

Winning the space race required ingenuity and balls. It had nothing to do with mining for more of a polluting, limited supply energy source. If this were the space race equavalent we would be busting ass to be completely energy sustaining without needing to burn oil/coal before any other 1st world nations can do it.

You are correct. Now if only all the other more deluded people across the country realized that we all could have an intelligent conversation about fixing this issue instead of the retarded 'Drill Baby Drill'

I started seeing people with bumper stickers saying that. :rolleyes:

It's the attitude of the common person doesn't have the sense to open their eyes.

The answers to these things are right in front of them and they refuse to look.

Drill for more oil, sure. It will not solve anything TODAY, which is what the people want and what a lot of the politicians (on both sides) have lead people to believe.. There are lots of small things that can be done now, which can ease the energy pain, but instead of doing these things most people just complain more.

Winning the space race required ingenuity and balls. It had nothing to do with mining for more of a polluting, limited supply energy source. If this were the space race equavalent we would be busting ass to be completely energy sustaining without needing to burn oil/coal before any other 1st world nations can do it.

You are correct. But so far every half-assed attempt at alternative fuel has run into multiple road blocks as well as discontent from one side or the other... all while oil keeps rising (except recently). There are a few other options out there that are certainly viable but would take some sacrifice. The case is people aren't willing to make those sacrifices because of selfishness and greed. So while we waste time trying to dig our heads out of our asses drilling will certainly help, as Kastigir mentioned, in a short amount of time.

I keep hearing all this complaining and nay-saying over how drilling won't help. I'm sorry, when did supply-side economics get thrown out the window. This whole attitude of "it would take too long to see any benefit" is the kind of negative attitude that is 1) flat out wrong, and 2) is only going to hurt the American economy and people even more, again, while we try to pull our heads out of our asses.

Another thing a lot of other people fail to grasp is that internal combustion of gasoline to power vehicles is in 100+ years of HIGH production refinement. To the people out there that complain that alternatives are not as effective the resounding response should be: DUH!. We haven't been producing solar cells, hybrid engines, fuel cells and whatever by the 100's of millions so of course they are not going to be as efficient. Internal combustion wasn't so efficient in 1908 either.

It all adds up to a favorite saying of mine:

The general populace will only change what they are doing until the cost of continuing on the current path outweighs the cost of change.

I.E. Gasoline will need to be $4-$5 or higher for extended periods of time to effect any substantial change. Now that gas has gone back down I fear that the little bit of momentum we had pushing toward better economy standards and better alternative options will now be undone.

I see nothing wrong with increasing domestic production provided that a comparable increase is invested in developing newer technologies. I think that if we do not do that, when the pumps do run dry we are going to be stuck with electric cars that still only go 40 miles before they die and with alcohol cars that cause the price of my cornflour tacos to quadruple.

I took my eg hatch to Georgia a couple years ago (d15b7) And got 45 mpg over the trip. With 800 pounds inside the car!!

I added it up. 4 grown adults (2 fat ones) and my alpine type-R in the back totaled 800 lbs.

Everything felt weird. Taking off was a challenge. Braking suffered immensely. And I bottomed out on stuff like 3" tall. lol

Oh and to top it all off, I had a homemade intake made from 4" PVC pipe! omg I found this brought my average city/hwy down from 40 to like 35 as opposed to the stock air box. I assume with just me in the car and a stock air box, I could have got closer to 50 mpg.

Archived