'88 CRX: Timing belt broke while running

jermnc77

thats awesome... i had a 97 honda civic coupe which was auto too... most my friends kept bugging and making fun of me cause it was auto but i didnt really mind since it was pretty dam fun to drive haha i ended up selling it though... but yeah hopefully your car doesnt have any damage Rex's are great!

To be honest, I was just so darned happy to have a CRX, I didn't care that it was an automatic. LOL I have been wanting one of these cars for 20 years! The red '88 was my favorite of all time... and I couldn't believe I got one!

True... I did consider that. But if it wasn't turning before, but is now.... what gives? How can it not work, then work again?

OR did this mechanic just completely misdiagnose this problem from the start?

That'd be my guess.

True... I did consider that. But if it wasn't turning before, but is now.... what gives? How can it not work, then work again?

OR did this mechanic just completely misdiagnose this problem from the start?

well the first problem is that the guy pulled out the distributor to check the timing belt :) things like that normally dont happen with it working and then not working. my guess is he took it to one of his friends that said he was a mechanic and in all actuality he had no idea what he was doing or what he was looking for. i would say screw it, the car is running and thats what matters right :)

You've got that right! I called the dude later that evening and told him about what I had discovered. You could tell he was mad at his mechanic. He was like, "...I need to have a talk with my mechanic. I sold that car based on his word that the timing belt was broken."

I'm very excited that it's running. I do need to get a new battery for it since it's shot. I think after that's done, I'll have a better idea of what this car needs exactly. I do however still keep the idea that obviously something happened to make the car not start. And with that, I have to go back to the assumption that maybe a fuel pump is the silent culprit.

Alot of things could make the car shut off like that. The important thing is to make careful observations of what happens the next time it shuts off.

Example 1 (Spark): if the car shuts off and you have no power, you could have a bad relay, battery cable, etc.

Example 2 (Fuel): if the car hesitates to a stop, you could be right about the fuel issue, but maybe something in addition to a fuel pump.

Example 3 (Air): if the car sputters to a stop, you could be looking at a vaccum, intake, or general air supply issue.

I hope this helps show that really you need to ensure those three things to keep the car running: Air, Fuel, Spark. You remove any one, and the car shuts off.

Moral of the story, keep your mind open wide, and your ears and eyes open wider; wait for it to shut off and then get back to us.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my CRX... I've been really busy with work and other acitivities I have going on... so I've not done anything with the car since I found out the belt wasn't broken.

This weekend I plan on doing my tax returns to see how much money I can lean towards getting the CRX back on the road.

I was thinking of taking it to Honda and having them do a diagnostics test on it to see if anything come back.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this whole thing was a fluke!

dont waste your money on such things. there is nothing they can tell you about that car you cant find out yourself buddy. pull the carpet back from the firewall to expose the ecu. there is a little round LED window on it. this LED will flash codes if there is any to flash. turn key to on position and check buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume that ths ecu module is in the driver's floor area?

I bought a battery for it yesterday. Now it's able to start on it's own. (I was waiting for my tax refund to begin working on it).

I've actually been driving it around the area! LOL This week I plan on taking it in for an inspection. Now that I'm able to drive it, it's obvious that the brakes need to be bled. They are very spungy and there's not much resistance to the pedal. I want to take it in and get all of the fluids changed, but before I start dumping money into it, I want to make sure there's not a big mechanical probem.

I still think it would be a good idea to take it in for a diagnostics test before I start depending on it. I'm just so excited to get to start it up w/out having to jump it off. I set in, turn the radio on and just fall back into memories of when I was enthralled with this car! LOL

Of course, I do value you guys' opinions and info, so keep'em coming!! THANKS!!

Here are some updated pics:

Picture1467.jpg

Picture1468.jpg

Picture1474.jpg

congrats on your wanted-since-you-were-a-kid car :) crx's are awesome!

I just did timing belt a while ago...and would help if close...

If the guy didn't break the timing belt while going fast, then it shouldn't have messed it up bad...

I would take this car to a good mechanic around (since you/the guy don't know the problem with this car) and see what it needs...then get the parts online/cheap and replace yourself :)

take care of this car mechanically so it lasts you :)

• 2 weeks later...

actually the reason it just shut off could have been the distributor mine had that same problem about a month ago and i just rebuilt the distributor and now its wonderful it was shuttind off and if you took the distributor off and just put it back it would start so if it gives you more trouble thats prob what it is

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that tip camshaft!

UPDATE:

I've taken the CRX on a 45 minute drive through stop-n-go traffic and highway stretches. I didn't have any problems with it at all!

BUT the other day, I got in it to drive around the neighborhood and it sputtered at idle. It didn't shut off, but there was definitely a sputter for a second or two.

So, as I was telling you guys about the seats.... I took off the old seat covers and now I have replaced them with new ones. But I don't really like the old seats. So, I went down to the salvage yard and found a Mazda MX-3 with great interior!

I'm taking the car to a metal works shop and the guy there is going to fabricate the brackets to fit the CRX. I can't wait to get the newer seats in there! They were in great condition!

When it's done, I'll let you guys know and post some pics!

ALSO, I found a stripped CRX there and it had all the original Honda mud flaps. I snagged them up and already have them on the car!

Archived