The new wheels - Help pick a color

Wheel color  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Wheel Color

• White
    • Silver

Well.........I got the new wheels on, sanded them and painted them...finished last night.

Short story:

I bought all of the primer, paint, and clear Tuesday night. I just got a basic silver...nothing fancy and I planned to go with more of a factory finish on the wheels. So I have the first two off last night and they've already been prepped. I index card the tires and tape the valve stem and start priming.....everything's going well. Next up is the paint, I start spraying and after the first coat.............it's freakin' FAKE ALUMINUM looking. Looks cheesy as crap and nothing like the cap....I try the second can and it's the same. CRAP!!! So....what do I do now. Well, I searched through my other paint cans and found a can from when I did the SI wheels on the teg....had just enough to cover the two wheels that were off and primed.

Okay, so I really don't care for the color so I'm redoing them and it's between white and silver. Here's some photoshopped pictures and I've added a poll to vote for your favorite.

Current (Yuck)

PIC-0009.jpg

PIC-0010.jpg

Silver (nice stock look)

PIC-0009silver.jpg

PIC-0010silver.jpg

White (still a nice clean look)

PIC-0009white.jpg

PIC-0010white.jpg

Black (just for kicks)

PIC-0009black.jpg

Yeah, I"m with you guys honestly. I don't really care for it. When they were silver (before paint) they look much better than the hubcaps in my sig, but not loving this color. Sad part is it's too cold to paint now. I'll probably go ahead and buy the correct silver paint and then when we get a warm day, pull them off for straight factory silver.

I'm considering them in white too, but not sure how that would look either. In any case, I plan to redo them in white or silver. My fear with white is that if the white doesn't match the white on my car then it will annoy me to no end. Plus I wanted to go with more of a factory look with the stock wheels and lowering which is why I'm leaning toward silver.

Okay, edited the first post and added a poll. I'm leaning pretty hard toward just basic silver. I don't really want to stand out with this car and even when I lower the car I want a subtle look. Even white might be a little too "flashy" for my tastes, but not sure.....I kinda like the white (except for my bad photoshop).

I need to see a few more pics to make up my mind. I'm not caring for them in that pic, but it's hard to tell with only seeing that angle and obviously it's not your best photo work lol. Please don't paint the trim white :laugh:

Well, I looked at them from a bunch of different angles today when my wife was driving the car (when she left and came back) and I actually don't mind the color they are now. I think the current color will look really good with a 2-2.5 inch drop which will come early spring. I'll take some pictures with the D70s tomorrow and post them up. I'm leaning toward leaving them through the winter at least cause I'm lazy and don't care right now.

I definitely like these better than the hubcaps (personally), but they're far from my favorite OEM wheel too. Then again this is just my daily driver so I'm not gonna do anything fancy with it. I hope to get a wagovan and swap it when my wife starts teaching and we get out of debt so this car will probably never see more than a drop and these wheels.

Here's better pictures of the way they are right now. I'm really feeling lazy with the car lately so I'll probably just leave it for awhile. When I repaint them I'll probably just go with silver.

DSC_5420.jpg

DSC_5421.jpg

DSC_5422.jpg

DSC_5423.jpg

It was getting dark so the pictures aren't the best, but you should be able to get the point.

Photoshop a drop and you've got a winner dude.

Your wish is my command. After seeing these photoshops, I'm gonna leave them this color. I tried to drop it at about what I expect with the Tein S-tech's and I think it looks sick with these wheels and love the color when it's dropped.

DSC_5423low.jpg

DSC_5422low.jpg

We have a winner.

Also, have you considered window tint? Might aid in accentuating the darkness of the rim.

Window tint is the first thing that I'm doing with tax money the first of the year. I had tinted them myself and they looked good, but being a perfectionist, it wasn't good enough so I removed it. I think tint will really set it off though.

Highly agreed.

What percentage are you shooting for?

I'm planning on 20% in the back and 35% in the fronts (keep it legal). If you look at the thread of my folks' TSX detail, it is 20 in back and 35 in front....I like that look a lot.

Those wheels actually look alot better with the better pictures. I'd leave it the way they are. makes me want gunmetal wheels for my Celica now.

Thanks and now you can see why I was back and forth with it. The photoshopped drop kinda seals the deal for me since I think it looks great with the drop.

Archived