Got me a Civic

elusiveshame

So I just picked up a 94 Civic DX to make love with my Del Sol...

Anyways, I don't have pictures yet (camera sucked my batteries dead, and even with new batteries, it barely turns on), but it's 100% stock and drives like it's brand new.

I paid $1600 for it, and the only things that are wrong with it are the usual Honda rust on the 1/4's (which are being fixed with some of those egay steel cheater panel replacements), shifter bushings (I'm assuming) and I think I might need new windshield wiper motors since the wipers go about 80-90% down when shut off.

So, my questions to you Civic owners is - what swaps have you done to these and what are your experiences with the swaps?

I've been thinking about doing a swap come spring time, and the engines I'm thinking about are the B16B SiR II, D15B VTEC, or a GSR. I have a GSR in the Sol, so I'm not sure if I want to get another one, since I like a variety, ya know? I had a ZC in my 89 CRX before it died, then swapped that out for a D15B and I liked it (sold the CRX a year ago), but I'm just not quite sure.

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated if shared :D

You should go b16. their not that pricey and they have good power. thats just my opinion. just take the time to find the one you want, you dont want to put a motor in that you dont like.

I'm not looking for a super fast car... I mean, my GSR sol does plenty for me as it is. I think I'd definitely enjoy the B16, and that's really what I was leaning towards the most. Aside from the swap, all I'd plan on doing to it would be the header, cai, and exhaust.

Anyways, I don't have pictures yet (camera sucked my batteries dead, and even with new batteries, it barely turns on), but it's 100% stock and drives like it's brand new.

I paid $1600 for it, and the only things that are wrong with it are the usual Honda rust on the 1/4's (which are being fixed with some of those egay steel cheater panel replacements), shifter bushings (I'm assuming) and I think I might need new windshield wiper motors since the wipers go about 80-90% down when shut off.

So, my questions to you Civic owners is - what swaps have you done to these and what are your experiences with the swaps?

I've been thinking about doing a swap come spring time, and the engines I'm thinking about are the B16B SiR II, D15B VTEC, or a GSR. I have a GSR in the Sol, so I'm not sure if I want to get another one, since I like a variety, ya know? I had a ZC in my 89 CRX before it died, then swapped that out for a D15B and I liked it (sold the CRX a year ago), but I'm just not quite sure.

well theres many swaps you could do i would perfer a k 20 and turbo it. But if thats not in your budget get a Ls block and put a b16 head on it. And spray it. And now you have a motor that has high compresion. and some good power. very easy swap. But you can do what im doing and put a b18c5 in you hatch. GREAT POWER. It has 20 more horsepower then the gsr. And its a great platform to work on.

dont do now h swap b18 can be put in any civic with now problems and the h series you have to cut out part of the fram for the trans mount and its a very very thit fit. I think electrical fit slow you down to. Plus the transmission sucks on the h.

dont do now h swap b18 can be put in any civic with now problems and the h series you have to cut out part of the fram for the trans mount and its a very very thit fit. I think electrical fit slow you down to. Plus the transmission sucks on the h.

This is one of the most incomprehensible piles of rubbish posted since bondo-boy.

If the sol is your speedy car I say do a zc swap again and call it a day. Maybe pair it with an si trans from a z6 and then call it a day. You will still have 30-35 mpg and the car will be able to get out of it's own way now.

Pretty sure the wipers are supposed to be that way. Mine do not tuck all the way down either, then again maybe my wiper motors are going bad as well...

What?

Err.. anyways, my GSR engine came out of a 2000 Integra, but the tranny blows on it (LS Transmission).

I think I'm going to end up getting the B16B, depending on my financial situation come Spring/Tax time, though I did enjoy the ZC. Peppy little thing.

As for my wipers, if I'm going over 40 mph, they jump off the windshield on the drivers side, so yea, the motors are def. going bad or are bad already haha.

The quarter panel cheater plates should arrive tomorrow, and Saturday me and my buddy are fixing them, so that'll take care of that.

I do have to say though, that driving the Civic over the Del Sol is night and day (at least with my cars). The Sol is so much more aggressive and touchy, where the Civic is relaxed and smooth. Not sure if I want to change that at all with another engine lol.

*sighs* all the options I have...

Anyways, aside from another D series/ZC, what would it take for a B16B to get dropped in there? Axles, shift linkage, mounts, wiring harness, obd0 to obd1 converter, and ecu... anything else I'm missing?

Oh, and what clusters fit right into the 94 Civic DX? I hate not having a tach, and I'm not putting a stupid big on in this car (have one in the Sol)... preferably one that doesn't have a gas guage that floats from time to time, giving inaccurate readings.

Thanks!

As for my wipers, if I'm going over 40 mph, they jump off the windshield on the drivers side, so yea, the motors are def. going bad or are bad already haha.

Oh, and what clusters fit right into the 94 Civic DX? I hate not having a tach, and I'm not putting a stupid big on in this car (have one in the Sol)... preferably one that doesn't have a gas guage that floats from time to time, giving inaccurate readings.

Hah!, my wipers do the EXACT same thing. I bypassed it by using RainX for now. :thumbsup:

What pearce said, the EX/SI cluster have the tach and bolt right in. You can find them on eBay occasionally for about $50 if you are patient and bid on several over a couple weeks. I bought mine for $55 when the average price was $80-$100. Keep in mind you can switch your odometer from the old to the new so you can retain your exact miles as well as switch the cover if the replacement one is scratched. That was how I got mine cheaper...it was 'scratched' so I switched my cover and then resold my DX cluster on eBay for $20.

Unfortunately the cluster in there right now isn't the one from the car... the night I bought the car, the speedometer stopped working on my way home, so I went back to my friends house and we swapped the sensor, which didn't fix the issue, so we tried a new cluster, and that was the issue. It was already dark and he needed to get back to his wife and daughter, so the mileage isn't exact right now. It is written down from both clusters so I do know what the exact mileage is (it was only off 10,000 miles, so I'm not too concerned about it).

So RainX worked huh? I'll have to try that :thumbsup:

One last question about the Civics - will a 96 Civic sedan bumper bolt right on, or do I need to change the rad support, get the 96 head lights and 96 hood? I think the 96 front end is much sexier, but I don't feel like swapping all that :)

The 96 front end is considerably different.

RainX doesn't fix the wipers, but now I do not need the wipers when going >40. You have to reapply it every so often depending on how much rain you get.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd toss some pictures up of the Civic, just of the work that was done though since it was my friends camera and not mine (mine sucks and drains batteries faster than you can put them in).

This is the drivers side quarter panel. The passenger side isn't nearly as bad, but still bad enough. I found some cheater plates on ebay, which claimed they were for a 94 Coupe, though the only thing that really lined up was the lip around the wheel well. We just cut the cheater plate and the quarter where the rust was, welded it into place, and put 2 thin layers of bondo over it so it would be evened out and smooth. It's not 100% finished yet since we were running short on time, but really all that needs to be done is some sanding to round out the wheel well, and a little sanding to get the bevel 100% lined up.

l_ec4f100679d54ae19d6b97e766ce3ce9.jpg

l_cb9de0df048f4fb090a5441cdf7fc37c.jpg

l_c44568e6a7124785a522cbd7740ccc1d.jpg

Figured I'd toss some pictures up of the Civic, just of the work that was done though since it was my friends camera and not mine (mine sucks and drains batteries faster than you can put them in).

This is the drivers side quarter panel. The passenger side isn't nearly as bad, but still bad enough. I found some cheater plates on ebay, which claimed they were for a 94 Coupe, though the only thing that really lined up was the lip around the wheel well. We just cut the cheater plate and the quarter where the rust was, welded it into place, and put 2 thin layers of bondo over it so it would be evened out and smooth. It's not 100% finished yet since we were running short on time, but really all that needs to be done is some sanding to round out the wheel well, and a little sanding to get the bevel 100% lined up.

l_ec4f100679d54ae19d6b97e766ce3ce9.jpg

l_cb9de0df048f4fb090a5441cdf7fc37c.jpg

l_c44568e6a7124785a522cbd7740ccc1d.jpg

How difficult was it? This is something I plan on doing to the Celica eventually.

The ground cable was used to tether the bumper to get it out of the way; it was removed from there to the actual frame before welding :)

It wasn't too hard to do, probably could have done it within 2 or 3 hours and actually finished it, but I was half watching my friends son, and half asleep since we started at the ass crack of dawn. Also, the first day we had to find some scrap metal to weld behind the quarters because it was practically just a blank space, so we ended up cutting a chunk out of a computer tower, welded a few strips in for the back support, then I decided to get some cheater plates.

Once that was all done and the plates came in, we marked out what needed to be cut from the quarter panel on the car, lined up the plate, marked what needed to be cut out from that, then a few tack welds to hold it in place, and a few more to make sure it was sturdy as hell (we were able to shake the car with a lot of force without bending the metal and breaking the welds), then a coat of primer, a thin layer of bondo, sanded the bondo down to level it out with the paint, another thin layer of bondo to get the bubbles out (as much as we could before using the putty), sanded down again, and now it's just primered a different color red for the time being. As you can see, the wheel well needs a little more sanding down, and the bevel is slightly off towards the back. About another 30 or 40 minutes will take care of it to make it look like nothing was ever wrong with the quarter panel :)

It's not difficult if you can cut and weld and use a sander. It's just time consuming to get it to look right :)

The ground cable was used to tether the bumper to get it out of the way; it was removed from there to the actual frame before welding :)

It wasn't too hard to do, probably could have done it within 2 or 3 hours and actually finished it, but I was half watching my friends son, and half asleep since we started at the ass crack of dawn. Also, the first day we had to find some scrap metal to weld behind the quarters because it was practically just a blank space, so we ended up cutting a chunk out of a computer tower, welded a few strips in for the back support, then I decided to get some cheater plates.

Once that was all done and the plates came in, we marked out what needed to be cut from the quarter panel on the car, lined up the plate, marked what needed to be cut out from that, then a few tack welds to hold it in place, and a few more to make sure it was sturdy as hell (we were able to shake the car with a lot of force without bending the metal and breaking the welds), then a coat of primer, a thin layer of bondo, sanded the bondo down to level it out with the paint, another thin layer of bondo to get the bubbles out (as much as we could before using the putty), sanded down again, and now it's just primered a different color red for the time being. As you can see, the wheel well needs a little more sanding down, and the bevel is slightly off towards the back. About another 30 or 40 minutes will take care of it to make it look like nothing was ever wrong with the quarter panel :)

It's not difficult if you can cut and weld and use a sander. It's just time consuming to get it to look right :)

My plan is to grab some sheet metal. Close to whatever gauge the fender is. The piece I need to cut and weld is much smaller though.