Finally Back!

les.delancy

Good grief! I've been gone a LONG time!!! I doubt if any of the people I was usually talking to are even on here any more. But... a year and a half in Iraq, a divorce, a new woman, and a new house in another state later _________ and here I am again. It alll started when I was going to buy a car for my daughter and we were going to build it together. I did research here and other places and decided what I wanted; a 1995 Del Sol VTEC - emerald green metallic. So, I found one in Utah and had a guy that worked with me go hook up the deal when he went home from Baghdad. It really is a beautiful all original car, very clean! Long story short - kid got in trouble and wouldn't listen so now the car is mine. I haven't started on it yet, but the new woman wants to go for it! We're going to build a street/drag car (there's a local strip close to the house here). Nothing crazy; staying N/A shooting around 300HP range. If I want to go suicidal I have a 300 SRT8. I have been loking around on the internet and here's what I've come up with:

Skunk2 Honda parts:

Pro-series intake manifold

Pro-series throttle body

Composite fuel rail

-cylinder head

Pro-3 camshaft

Hi-Compression Valves

Pro series titanium retainers

Pro series valve springs

Pro series cam gear

Cam seal

Hondata/Skunk2 ECU

Mega Power exhaust system

Pro-S coilovers

Pro series plus adjustable front camber kit

Lower control arms (rear)

Lower arm bars (rear)

Rear camber kit

Strut tower bar

Short throw shifter

Billet shift knob

Other needed items:

Header

Cold air intake

Sway bars (?)

-Brake mods

Slotted and drilled rotors

EBC red or yellow stuff pads

Stainless steel brake hoses

LSD for tranny

-Fuel system

Fuel injectors (550cc?)

Pressure regulator

Throttle cable

Upgrade fuel filter (lines?)

-Ignition system

MSD pro-billet distributor / harness, module, and coil

MSD Plug wires

Plugs

New high quality oxygen sensor

-Cooling system

Oil cooler

Upgraded aluminum radiator

Power Steering fluid cooler

-Driveline

LSD for tranny

Flywheel

Clutch

Shifter stabilizer bushings

Chromoly halfshafts

Upgraded head studs

Vibration dampner

Under-drive pulley

Magna-flow catalytic converter (or by-pass pipe?)

I figure do all this and build a new short block after I blow the bottom end out of the stock one!

I'm not real concerned with dress up stuff at this point. I'll want new wheels and tires just to fit bigger breaks and wider tires. I don want to go CF on the hood, taga top, and deck lid (all OEM style). I would love a CF OEM style rear spoiler, but all of the CF spoilers I have been able to find are not OEM style.

Any comments, suggestion, questions, concerns? I can post pics of the car as is now if anybody's interested.

Remember, this is just a general starting plan after one day of internet surfing!

Welcome back....I remember when you were looking for a car for your daughter. I've had a name change (formally HungGSR) so you might not recognize/remember me at all.

As huge as your list is, that won't get you to 300whp. I'd say you should expect to spend a good 10 grand to hit that goal....maybe more. You'll want an SMSP, Hi-tech header, or something along those lines which will cost you well over a grand itself. You'll also need some high compression pistons, rods, maybe even a stroker setup.

It sounds like you've done your research, but I hope you realize that if you were to go with boost, you could have 500-600whp for about the same amount as your 300whp n/a will be.

Good luck with your build anyway.

I remember you too from back in the day, man. Hard to believe it's been a year and a half that I've been a regular on here...

Best of luck with the build. It seems like you know way more than I do already, so I can't really contribute.

My only request is pics and (eventually) a video...

I'll get pics of the car the way it is now during lunch. Maybe I should re-think and go turbo after all. Maybe a small T3 or similiar? I was thinking NA would sve me some oney, but maybe not! I suppose I could go with what I have now and just add the turbo (simple setup with an inter cooler and waste gate). I went too deep when I planned my first build, got into elec adjustable suspension and computer turbo controller. If I can stay calm and not go buck wild a simple turbo set up might be just what the doctor ordered. Hmm...

Anybody know where to find an OEM style CF rear spoiler?

I'll get pics of the car the way it is now during lunch. Maybe I should re-think and go turbo after all. Maybe a small T3 or similiar? I was thinking NA would sve me some oney, but maybe not! I suppose I could go with what I have now and just add the turbo (simple setup with an inter cooler and waste gate). I went too deep when I planned my first build, got into elec adjustable suspension and computer turbo controller. If I can stay calm and not go buck wild a simple turbo set up might be just what the doctor ordered. Hmm...

Anybody know where to find an OEM style CF rear spoiler?

If 300whp is your goal regardless of power, you could get there with boost for about 3 grand. 400-500 for another 3-4 grand in a built engine (if you can do a lot the work).

280-300whp isn't all that hard with a stock B16, more than 300 you'd want to build the motor.

Also if you go boost you'll want a bigger exhaust tubing. High hp N/A builds are really expensive......really expensive.

I'l definatley give it some deep thought! I will do all of the work myself (other that machining), that's all of the fun. I used to drag race years ago and built all of my own stuff (and fixed it when I got go-pedal happy!). I've just never done an import before. Thought it would be fun to try something new. You think all the listed items would still work with a T3 or similiar turbo?

I'l definatley give it some deep thought! I will do all of the work myself (other that machining), that's all of the fun. I used to drag race years ago and built all of my own stuff (and fixed it when I got go-pedal happy!). I've just never done an import before. Thought it would be fun to try something new. You think all the listed items would still work with a T3 or similiar turbo?

T3 is a little small for high hp. T3/T04E is the common setup but if you want faster spool get a GT28rs or GT30rs (depending on your hp goals.)

http://www.turbo-kits.com/del_sol_turbo_kits.html

Second one down would be a good kit for ya I think. What are your goals on hp if you go with boost?

Edit: Keep your eyes open on Honda-Tech and you can come across a used kit like above in really good condition for closer to 2 grand.

Found this for ya. About 1400 cheaper than a new kit and has the faster spooling GT28r turbo.

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread/2349801

:thumbsup: Nice man! Thanks, that's awesome!!! Let's see if I can come up with the cash before someone else does...

I got pics of the car the way it sits for you:

I e-mailed themto myself and saved them on my computer, how do I attach them here?

Yeah, I love the color... looked a long time for it! I was thinking black or dark grey wheels. I'm not going to paint the CF hood, tagra, trunk, and spoiler; so I figured a color close to the dark grey in the CF.

I'm glad to hear someone else say it's in good shape, I was starting to convince myself I had paid entirely too much for it!

Nice. Before you tear in to it, maybe you should just sell it to me. Does the world really need another modded out sol?

Actually, what the world needs is people to rescue the Sol's that've been mutilated by people with no respect for them.

Ok, first one with $10,000 wins! :laugh:

Speaking of how pretty it is... now the bad (maybe someone can help). The console lid is broken and the buttons up on the dash above the steering wheel are faded all to hell (hazard flasher, cruise ect...). Any body have suggestions where to get a OEM interior replacement parts? The dealers I have tried say that can't get them anymore. I will have to replace the whole console box to fix the lid.

Archived