Looking for some guidance

Shanebot90

heya, i'm new and already made my introduction on the forums.

I'm driving a 92 integra GS-R which isn't exactly in the best shape and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice in smaller things i should/could be doing for pretty cheap or even doing them at home for nothing with limited tools hehe. So far all i've really done was replace some old or completely missing nuts and bolts, replaced the distributor, and fixed an exhaust leak. Other than that, i've replaced two tires and seafoamed/changed my oil. Anyone have any idea what i should be doing next? Looking to do quick fixes for under $150 or so. I'm thinking of replacing the spark plugs and the cables. Then maybe a new fuel filter, stuff like that.

l_036f347dcfba7d41cc874c36966123d7.jpg

And yes, I'm going to paint the hood, it came like that so please don't yell at me! hahah

I was thinking of changing the transmission fluid. Is that something that can easily be done at home? because $120 at a garage seems to be a bit steep for a fluid change of any kind.

Edited by Shanebot90

First off welcome, and two MORE PICS cause honestly I've scene ALOT worse around here this doesn't really look to bad to start off.

here they are

l_3d02baa9ad6146a795798cd359d2f001.jpg

l_ee67e5894820468eaeddeaf22bbfa935.jpg

WRYYYY!!!

those are all i have on my computer that are most revealing of the car, and it's been raining too much lately to go out and take a good pic with my friend's camera. i'd like to take a pic of me engine next. now that i think of it i might want a new air filter, mine is crushed and old-looking hehe. the only outside cosmetic problems are: the hood, the rear bumper needs either replacing or repainting, and my driver's side door handle is loose and pretty much broken lol. nothing major on the outside.

As for mechanical problems that i can't diagnose-

Sometimes the car won't start after it sits for too long, when i put gas in the car, the car will stall right after starting up and won't want to start for a couple minutes after. that last part also goes for when i make short trips, say <5 miles or not enough steady highway driving.

My guess is that it's a problem with maintaining fuel pressure. i notice that when i remove my gas cap i can hear fumes escaping or something like that. sounds like a hissing sound. I'm thinking i may have to replace my fuel filter/ fuel pump.

After i get that problem solved i'm thinking of something cheap like spark plugs. Anyone know what i should look for as far as spark plugs/wires goes?

Edited by Shanebot90

Car looks nice. Are you parked on a boat ramp?

NGk is pretty much the best choice for plugs and wires for any honda product.

Valve cover looks hideous. You could look into repainting that to spiff up the engine bay. There's a nice and fairly cheap weekend activity.

Car looks nice. Are you parked on a boat ramp?

NGk is pretty much the best choice for plugs and wires for any honda product.

Valve cover looks hideous. You could look into repainting that to spiff up the engine bay. There's a nice and fairly cheap weekend activity.

oh yeah, i know what you mean about the valve covers. i need to take a trip to wally world to pick up some red or black spray paint next weekend when i get my paycheck lol. yes i am parked on a boat ramp btw. that was fun seeing as how my rear brakes aren't too tight, yet another thing i need to put on my to do list - get new brake pads and possibly rotors

Make sure you get high temp paint, sand it down really good and do multiple lays giving time to dry inbetween for best results. If you got a spare oven you could bake each layer.

hmm.. see that's something i probably wouldn't have thought about.

once i get my hands on a camera again, i'll get some pictures of it once i paint it and show some other things i want to fix

If you want to do it right and if your interested in baking the layers on I'd read the DIY.

ehh, no spare oven... :\ i'm guessing the heat from the engine can help with that process over time, no? i'll just drive the car around after i finish painting it hehe

Baking each lair is supposed to help prevent heat stripping. Just do a few lairs and give it plunty of time to dry inbetween each one before you put it back on your car. Using high temp paint and if you get a good sand it should hold up for quite awhile.

Baking each lair is supposed to help prevent heat stripping. Just do a few lairs and give it plunty of time to dry inbetween each one before you put it back on your car. Using high temp paint and if you get a good sand it should hold up for quite awhile.

cool, well i'll do it. if it comes off, spray paint isn't that expensive hehe

I'd recommend doing any major maintenance and replacing anything not working before moving on to cosmetics.

The hissing sound from the gas tank is normal, but I have no idea what the problem is.

Try replacing your spark plugs and/or putting some fuel system treatment in.

Next time you fuel up, and it does not want to start try removing gas cap, and let me know if it starts then! :thumbsup:

As far as wires go I either run Beck Arnely, or Denso!

Plugs NGK stock plugs, sometimes platiums, but usually stock!

Edited by mpearce1974

Next time you fuel up, and it does not want to start try removing gas cap, and let me know if it starts then! :thumbsup:

As far as wires go I either run Beck Arnely, or Denso!

Plugs NGK stock plugs, sometimes platiums, but usually stock!

driving to orlando today, ended up filling the gas tank and it did stall when i started it up. i took off the gas cap and it started like nothing! too bad i got into an accident today and may have totalled the car... the engine looks to be in good condition but my front end isn't feeling too good. radiator and headers/motor are best friends atm and i couldn't tell what might be damage underneath where my radiator is covering

Edited by Shanebot90

driving to orlando today, ended up filling the gas tank and it did stall when i started it up. i took off the gas cap and it started like nothing! too bad i got into an accident today and may have totalled the car... the engine looks to be in good condition but my front end isn't feeling too good. radiator and headers/motor are best friends atm and i couldn't tell what might be damage underneath where my radiator is covering

AWWWWW! >_<

You rearended some one? :(

not me, my friend was driving because i don't like driving on the interstate. my car was the most reliable of all ours. On the way home, we were trying to stop because someone 8 or 9 car links ahead of us was stopping. They stopped alot faster than we did and our brakes locked up in the rain and we slid right into them. It was just bad luck and lack of ABS. Time to find a new car :(

Oh and i find out that i'm paying $250 a month on insurance just for PIP/Liability

Anyone want to buy a b17a1? lol if the engine is still okay, which i believe it is, i'm going to sell it. Transmission works too. The car drove itself off the median and right into the parking lot, shifted fine and didn't sound like anything was wrong with the engine. I just didn't drive it for more than a minute because the radiator is destroyed and who knows what else is wrong with it at this point

Edited by Shanebot90

not me, my friend was driving because i don't like driving on the interstate. my car was the most reliable of all ours. On the way home, we were trying to stop because someone 8 or 9 car links ahead of us was stopping. They stopped alot faster than we did and our brakes locked up in the rain and we slid right into them. It was just bad luck and lack of ABS. Time to find a new car :(

Oh and i find out that i'm paying $250 a month on insurance just for PIP/Liability

Anyone want to buy a b17a1? lol if the engine is still okay, which i believe it is, i'm going to sell it. Transmission works too. The car drove itself off the median and right into the parking lot, shifted fine and didn't sound like anything was wrong with the engine. I just didn't drive it for more than a minute because the radiator is destroyed and who knows what else is wrong with it at this point

Sorry to hear that man! Want to buy mine? :D

so i found another car for sale around here, a stock 240sx hatch which is in good shape for under $2k.. there's an SR20DET and transmission that can come with the car for another $1k. the car is in good shape. I might just go for it D: