Need help with my Accord.

StAnGbAnGeR

I recently purchased a 94 Honda Accord EX from a family member. It needed a starter, I put one in. The car is an automatic with 145k, 2.2L (VTEC) Here's my problem. I pulled the plugs on it, they were shot. I did the tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires). They are gapped to .040 The car has a strange miss fire. At idle, it runs fine. Wide open throttle, pulls hard, runs great. However, on a light load while driving, it miss fires. When I push the throttle down a little harder (medium engine load), the miss clears up. Has anyone come across this? One thing I have noticed, I seem to have a light brake peddel at times, maybe loosing some vacume. I've been all over this thing, being an ex- FORD auto tech, I'm pretty lost. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, love the site, I'll be on here from time to time.

I recently purchased a 94 Honda Accord EX from a family member. It needed a starter, I put one in. The car is an automatic with 145k, 2.2L (VTEC) Here's my problem. I pulled the plugs on it, they were shot. I did the tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, wires). They are gapped to .040 The car has a strange miss fire. At idle, it runs fine. Wide open throttle, pulls hard, runs great. However, on a light load while driving, it miss fires. When I push the throttle down a little harder (medium engine load), the miss clears up. Has anyone come across this? One thing I have noticed, I seem to have a light brake peddel at times, maybe loosing some vacume. I've been all over this thing, being an ex- FORD auto tech, I'm pretty lost. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, love the site, I'll be on here from time to time.

Well, if you've replaced all the ignition stuff, then next thing to look at would be fuel or vacuum lines. I'd start by running some fuel system cleaner through your tank. Then replace the fuel filter and check for vacuum leaks.

Well, if you've replaced all the ignition stuff, then next thing to look at would be fuel or vacuum lines. I'd start by running some fuel system cleaner through your tank. Then replace the fuel filter and check for vacuum leaks.

I ran some fuel injectors cleaner by STP, (add to a certain amount of gallons of fuel) through the tank. The fuel filter was replaced. I'm trying to figure out if there is some kind of sensor controlled by vacume. Being that this issue only occurs at a light engine load, I'm thinking something is wrong with the vacume. I'm going to get a can of carb cleaner and spray down all the vacume lines, and see if I can find a leak. Someone else also told me to hook up a timing light to see if the ECU is advancing the timing at certain RPMs.

Good luck, I am drawing a blank.

I would suggest to pull the spark plugs again and see what they look. I understand you just changed them, so this is a perfect opportunity to see if something is going wrong in one of the combustion chambers since you have been driving with these new plugs for a few days.

Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner worked well for me. I've also had good luck with seafoam (putting some in the gas not the vacuum lines).

I have Lucas in quart, and use it at every oil change in gas with no fouling and good experiences! :thumbsup:

I use the more agressive stuff then change plugs, seems to work well.

I have Lucas in quart, and use it at every oil change in gas with no fouling and good experiences! :thumbsup:

I use the more agressive stuff then change plugs, seems to work well.

I'm going to check timing, and then check fuel pressure. The fact that it only happens on a light load, really confuses me. I've check all of the basic stuff, with the exception of vacume. The car runs it's ass off, except for light loads. I wonder if the cat is partially clogged? I need to replace the exhaust from the head back. It's all rotted out, plus the muffler fell off. If I take the Cat off, and just run a pipe in it's place, will I run into backpressure issues with a 4.5in muffler?

I am wondering if the EGR ports are clogged. Very seldom do cars of that generation throw a low flow EGR code, when in fact they should. If your setup has the EGR port plate covering the ports (located down and under the fuel injectors) then I would pop that off and clean them. You can do a simple diagnostic on the car by apply vaccum to the ERG valve. The car should run really rough at idle or die. If you experience little to no change then the valve may be bad or the ports are simply clogged. If your setup has the bronze plugs covering the ports, then they will have to be drilled, tapped and cleaned (a longer process). Also, I assume you used Honda wires, if not find a friends car that runs fine and swap the wires and see if the problem goes away. Also not a big fan of the STP injector cleaner. We recommend either Chevron Techron or BG44k injector cleaner. The Chevron is easier to find, but the BG out performs it hands down.

I am wondering if the EGR ports are clogged. Very seldom do cars of that generation throw a low flow EGR code, when in fact they should. If your setup has the EGR port plate covering the ports (located down and under the fuel injectors) then I would pop that off and clean them. You can do a simple diagnostic on the car by apply vaccum to the ERG valve. The car should run really rough at idle or die. If you experience little to no change then the valve may be bad or the ports are simply clogged. If your setup has the bronze plugs covering the ports, then they will have to be drilled, tapped and cleaned (a longer process). Also, I assume you used Honda wires, if not find a friends car that runs fine and swap the wires and see if the problem goes away. Also not a big fan of the STP injector cleaner. We recommend either Chevron Techron or BG44k injector cleaner. The Chevron is easier to find, but the BG out performs it hands down.

I've got to hand it to you Turtlehead, you're the winner! Although I did not diagnose the car as you said.....I simply took the EGR valve off, inspected the (1) vacume line going to it and made sure the electrical wiring to the valve was ok. I then noticed an extreme amount of carbon deposit on the EGR valve. I cleaned it the best I could, re-installed it, it still did mis fire. I then disconnected the vacume line, plugged it, drove the car, and the mis fire is gone......Thanks again. Now, here's another question. Because I have limited funds with 3 kids and all, I'm going to have to pass for the mean time on replacing my EGR valve. With the vacume being plugged, will the car be okay? Also, since it's a 1994, in my state, the car does not have to go for emissions testing. Can I just do like us MUSTANG guys do, and make a block plate to delete the EGR?

Up to you what you want to do for the regs in your state... As far as function, the car should be fine. The other thing you can do is put a BB in the vac line that way it will remove vac to the diaphram in the EGR and you can reconnect the line, that way everything looks original until you can get it fixed. Like I said, what you do for tampering is totally up to you.

Glad I could help diagnois your problem.