Need Help!!!!

Ronco85

I have a 98 Honda Civic EX with 160,000 miles on it. Just recenlty I've notice there has been an intermittent power loss. While driving, engine is unable to rev passed roughly 3500 RPM's, like I have a mifire, but it only happens every once in awhile. I have people tell me to check fuel and spark, but others have been telling me MAP sensor. Can anyone help me please??

Well?? they pointed you in the right direction. check your plugs, plug wires, fuel filter(probably needs to be changed), vacuum lines, and cap and rotor.

your car has high miles so you probably could use a new fuel filter anyways, and a new cap and rotor depending on when it was changed last.

Check these things just to make sure that they are okay and if their really old or broken fix them!

Well I replaced the wires and plugs already, changed fuel filter, cap/rotor look fine...also I've noticed driving to PA, it only acted up AFTER i would stop at a service plaza or get gas, I'd get back on the e-way and get to speed, then couple minuted later it would start hesitating..but if I downshift, I could rev high and get back to speed, and also if I were to engage the clutch, I could rev it all the way to redline no problem, so thinking it onl;y does it under load, which is leaning me towards a sensor...idk...

It almost sounds like a dirty or clogged injector. idk??

I had that problem with my last motor before I blew the head gasket and got a new motor. When I would hit the gas it would bog down and not want to go but if i put it in neutral and rev it up it would rev up fine.

Check out the sensors of the throttle body and intake manafold.

Does that model have a distributor or is it the ones that don't?

I was leaning towards the MAP sensor because i've read symptoms of when they fail and it would make it hesitate and what not under load...and plus they are pretty common on civic's I guess....but I just don't wanna take a $100 swag ya know? I'll try cleaning the injectors, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, just hope I can find the problem. Yes it has a distributor, I checked the cap and rotor and everything seems to look good.

Check the catalytic converter as well. Common issue if the insides of the cat break loose they can partially clog the exhaust. It is especially noticeable when you get on it hard. It would also cause the car to have a slightly higher then usual temp, and/or the radiator fan will run more often then normal attempting to keep the car cooler.

Many shops offer free exhaust system inspections, especially if you are still running a stock exhaust.

Edited by Xeryon