I hit another snag in the swap

alex37211

1997 OBD2 B18C1 going into 95 civic dx

The plugs under my dash won't fit into the new obd-2 ecu.

Is there a conversion harness for this? Or do I have to cut and solder all of the wires onto the GSR ecu plugs?

If I found an obd-1 GSR ecu, would I also have to replace the distributor / injectors / other parts??

thnx

Isn't $140 a little steep? It couldn't take more than 3 hours if I took my time to splice those wires in. I don't know about you guys, but my time isn't worth $46 / hour. Anyone have a used one by chance?

you were running an itr engine with a p72? lol. that was about as half as fun as it should have been , lol.

if you want to run the obd2 ecu , you need a obd1-obd2A conversion harness. and youl have to wire a couple things your obd1 car has no wiring for. like th ckf. located next to crank pully. this isnt the way to go imo.

the way to go would be use the harness that was already in the car , which im sure you have done , wire vtec if it wasnt already a vtec car. get yourself an obd1 p72 for gsr. wire in the IAB's. and plug and play. this is what you should do.

Spend the money. You will not get it done doing it yourself correctly in 3 hours.

Most harnesses I do, I have at least 20 hours into them. $25/hour labor x 20 = $500.

A good (Boomslang) conversion harness is cheap.

I'm just gonna go obd1. I can get a obd1 p72 ecu for less than a conversion harness. Plus i will need to tune it in the future when I add a larger intake manifold and TB. As it is, I'll be running a CAI, header, and catback. (possibly high flow cat as well).

What all do I need to change to be able to run the obd1 ecu w/o problems?

you were running an itr engine with a p72? lol. that was about as half as fun as it should have been , lol.

if you want to run the obd2 ecu , you need a obd1-obd2A conversion harness. and youl have to wire a couple things your obd1 car has no wiring for. like th ckf. located next to crank pully. this isnt the way to go imo.

the way to go would be use the harness that was already in the car , which im sure you have done , wire vtec if it wasnt already a vtec car. get yourself an obd1 p72 for gsr. wire in the IAB's. and plug and play. this is what you should do.

It went high 13's with bolt on's LOL

Nothing. Your car is OBD-I.

I mean with the OBD2 B18C1.

I've heard distributor and injectors (or maybe just the plugs)]

somebody else told me the alternator too. wtf?

Does anyone know for sure?

nothing? , lol. remind me not to purchase your conversion harness's , haha. kiddin SSR. you need to wire in the IAB's. thats all. if your running obd2 injectors in the engine , youl either have to use obd1 B series injectors , or youl need to wire new plugs on to plug in the obd2 injectors.

as for the dizzy , im sure you have your old dizzy still from the D series? pull the white plastic pieces out of the plugs. lean the metal pin one way , and pop they pull right out. once you have the obd1 dizzy plugs off the D series dizzy. do the same thing to the obd2 gsr dizzy , depin the plug off the wires. the colors should be the same. so repin the wires of the gsr dizzy , into the D series plug. simple eh. you might run into a problem with the black/yellow wire , if the pin from the gsr dizzy wont fit in the D series plug , cut it and splice it.

So as far as the dizzy, it's only an issue of a wrong plug? I happen to have a spare d15b7 dizzy for parts. I'll look at it after work.

As for the injectors, I found this little tid-bit whilst scouring google for info. Is this true?

Q: "So what exactly is the difference between the OBD1 and OBD2 injectors at the clip end?"

--

A: "The notch is off-center in OBD2. I've snipped the little tab off to save the hassle on the injector; by doing so, you can *make* it fit. The metal clip that goes around the connector holds it in place, so it's not going anywhere. "

edit: also, why would I have to get new plugs to run the obd2 injectors that are already in the motor? They're already plugged in. I actually started the car the other day with my stock p06 ECU. btw, is that bad to do?

you shouldnt have been able to plug obd1 clips onto obd2 injectors , lol. strating it wont hurt it no , but dont drive that car with that ecu.

you shouldnt have been able to plug obd1 clips onto obd2 injectors , lol. strating it wont hurt it no , but dont drive that car with that ecu.

The engine is an obd2a b18c1. I'm using the original engine harness that came with the engine. All I did was plug in three plugs on each side of the motor into the civic's chassis harness. I never had to touch the injectors or plugs.

Why do I have to change the injectors?...or do I?

If you used the harness that came with the engine, you dont have to rewire the dizzy, injectors, or alternator.

Even if I'm planning to run an obd1 GSR ECU? So ALL i have to do is wire in the IAB's?

no it wouldnt actually , but to each thier own. i explained the simplest way of doing it , ive done a hundred swaps.

frosted flake , the engine harness doesnt make it into the cabin were the ecu plugs in , so even if he did use the integra harness , hed still have obd1 plugs at his floor , so please , dont advise people when your not sure what your talking about. im not giving you crap , just it helps noone.

daniel is right for the reason i just stated.

and i agree with him as ive wrote before , buy an obd1 ecu , and wire in IAB. simple.

Thank you cranny. I've got an obd1 p72 ecu in the works. I should get it tomorrow if all goes to plan.

So now I hear knock sensor.

LIST OF THINGS TO DO AFTER I PLUG IN THE OBD1 P72 ECU: ( on my dx non-vtec chassis)

1.) wire iab's

2.) wire vtec

3.) wire knock sensor?

anything else guys?

...cranny, I'm lookin' at you man! :unsure:

Archived