Should I change my Tranny fluid or leave it?

CleanGSR

I've been searching on H-T for about an hour and get conflicting answers from my search.

My Accord LX, Auto tranny has 159,000 miles on it. Ever since I bought the car I've noticed that it shifts kind of hard. Just a little jerk each time it shifts.....not really bad, just a little annoying.

Anyway, I haven't a clue if the ATF has ever been changed and have seen conflicting posts about whether I should change it. My first thought was to do a drain and refill 2-3 times over a few week period to get all the old stuff out. However, I don't want to take a chance on making things worse. Many people say that changing the ATF if it's never been done on a high mileage tranny could make things worse......so....thoughts?????

Disclaimer: Yes, I already know to only use Honda ATF ZF-1 in my car.

at first i was going to say it wont hurt to change it, but i never heard about the higher mileage tranny's, changing it could make it worse. i dont see how thats possible honestly. i just changed mine again but thats b/c i had to drop the tranny.

at first i was going to say it wont hurt to change it, but i never heard about the higher mileage tranny's, changing it could make it worse. i dont see how thats possible honestly. i just changed mine again but thats b/c i had to drop the tranny.

Yeah, seems kind of weird to me, but apparently the argument is:

Changing the fluid could release particles that are helping seal or something like that. It reminds me of the whole don't switch to synthetic oil on a high mileage engine that's run conventional all it's life.....which that one I know to be true, but that's only because of the way PAO's work in most synthetic oils so really a completely different deal.

I'd change it. It just feels like the right thing to do. Go with your gut.

I too have read about the conventional to synthetic thing, but never on a tranny. If it does cause a leak, just replace whatever seal or gasket it comes from....or buy a lower mileage tranny for like $300

I'd change it. It just feels like the right thing to do. Go with your gut.

I too have read about the conventional to synthetic thing, but never on a tranny. If it does cause a leak, just replace whatever seal or gasket it comes from....or buy a lower mileage tranny for like $300

That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid and all the ones I see are 500 plus shipping for the f22b2 tranny. I bought this car to save us money so if I have to keep sinking money into it it will really defeat the purpose pretty fast. I just sunk $100 into it with all the stuff I did recently.

Changing the fluid is different than flushing it. Change the fluid, but don't flush the tranny.

Yeah, I know that you aren't suppossed to flush it via machine. The proper way to "flush" (as I've been told) is to drain and refill about 2-3 times (over a few weeks) until the fluid starts coming out red.

So....you don't think I'll have any problems with a simple drain and refill 2 or 3 times?

Yeah, I know that you aren't suppossed to flush it via machine. The proper way to "flush" (as I've been told) is to drain and refill about 2-3 times (over a few weeks) until the fluid starts coming out red.

So....you don't think I'll have any problems with a simple drain and refill 2 or 3 times?

You shouldn't, but don't listen to me...it's your car.

You shouldn't, but don't listen to me...it's your car.

No...it's fine. I will make my own decisions, just looking for some opinions to base my decision on. I'm kind of hoping someone can explain why it may be true, or tell me that it's a "myth" type thing....if not, then I'll probably change it and be safe. I've found very few posts (maybe 1 or 2) that have people that have problems after a tranny fluid change with high miles. Of course there's dozens of people that have had no problems after the same.

Why is it bad to flush? :o Never had any problems before. :crazy:

Pearce: With age the trans builds up deposits in corners. If you flush it you can dislodge those deposits and they can end up in places were it can cause more harm. If you only drain and refill a few times you will get all of the loose materials out without dislodging the stuck deposits hiding in the corners.

*This is what I have always been told.

Okay,....I got a definite answer on H-T. I was told that I'm fine to do the change and it's actually highly recommended considering my conditions.

The same guy told me that flushing is bad with a honda auto tranny because the filter is built into the tranny. Doing a flush could dislodge junk that's in the filter and get it floating around loose in the tranny.

Country living has it's downside.

My commute takes me past a large Honda dealer/service shop plus the regional NAPA distributor so my country living is not nearly as inconvenient as what you have to put up with.

I'm excited to see how this goes :thumbsup: I have also heard both ways, usually not to flush at high mileage but seems like you are hearing otherwise! So hopefully turns out well! The reason I always heard not to flush was because of stuff wearing, and that it can come apart through a flush? Idk how true this is, never flushed/drained fluid in one! But be sure to update!

I'm excited to see how this goes :thumbsup: I have also heard both ways, usually not to flush at high mileage but seems like you are hearing otherwise! So hopefully turns out well! The reason I always heard not to flush was because of stuff wearing, and that it can come apart through a flush? Idk how true this is, never flushed/drained fluid in one! But be sure to update!

Just to be clear, I'm not doing a flush (not technically) but a series of drain/refills. I'm most likely heading to the city this weekend to deliver some wheels that I sold. If so I'll head by Honda and buy 9-10 quarts of ATF-Z1 and do my first change on Sunday. I'm excited too to see if it helps my tranny shifting so hard. It's bad enough that I can feel it when the TC Lockup engages/disengages on the interstate.....kind of annoying.

Just to be clear, I'm not doing a flush (not technically) but a series of drain/refills. I'm most likely heading to the city this weekend to deliver some wheels that I sold. If so I'll head by Honda and buy 9-10 quarts of ATF-Z1 and do my first change on Sunday. I'm excited too to see if it helps my tranny shifting so hard. It's bad enough that I can feel it when the TC Lockup engages/disengages on the interstate.....kind of annoying.

ik, i used incorrect terminology by accident. Sorry! :blush:

i had a 97 accord and when it was given to me, it shifted very hard...

i put in some lucas "tune up in a bottle" and filled it up with 91 octane gasoline...

it ran a whole lot smoother... the shifting wasnt as noticeable or sudden

i had a 97 accord and when it was given to me, it shifted very hard...

i put in some lucas "tune up in a bottle" and filled it up with 91 octane gasoline...

it ran a whole lot smoother... the shifting wasnt as noticeable or sudden

Thanks for the tip.....is the tune up in a bottle fuel additive (if so I used that) or is it an ATF additive? In any case, I'll be in the "city" tomorrow to sell my winter wheels I have left from the integra so I'll run buy and buy 8 or 9 quarts of Z1 and hopefully change it on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the tip.....is the tune up in a bottle fuel additive (if so I used that) or is it an ATF additive? In any case, I'll be in the "city" tomorrow to sell my winter wheels I have left from the integra so I'll run buy and buy 8 or 9 quarts of Z1 and hopefully change it on Sunday afternoon.

fuel additive.... you'll notice the change as soon as your pulling out of the station

enjoy

Archived