The accord on gas mileage

CleanGSR

Well, my first tank I ran through the accord was a disappointing 26.9mpg. However, it was with a good 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. On top of that I wasn't very easy with my driving since I was getting used to the car and auto tranny.

Anyway, this tank I've been doing more highway driving and setting the cruise at around 68-69mph. Also, I'm driving the car really, really easy on take offs with the auto. My first tank (the 26.9mpg tank) I was at around 175 miles at the half a tank mark and around 350 when I filled it (light not on yet). This tank???????

Well, I just hit the half tank mark this morning and I'm at 230-240 miles on this tank so far. If I can keep up this run I should have easily over 400 (maybe 450) miles on this tank and hopefully well over 30mpg. I'm hoping for some high numbers.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do any gas mileage mods like higher temp thermo, half plate radiator block or WAI. Probably won't do the warm air intake since they usually look like crap in the bay, but might try out the half plate radiator block and switch to a full block plate this winter. We'll see how the rest of this tank goes first as I'll want a good baseline.

That oil issue probably didn't help either.

To get a solid baseline you should probably run it 3+ tanks before making major changes that may effect mpg. Like you found, one tank can sometimes be a bit off depending on special circumstances.

That oil issue probably didn't help either.

To get a solid baseline you should probably run it 3+ tanks before making major changes that may effect mpg. Like you found, one tank can sometimes be a bit off depending on special circumstances.

I agree....the oil/spark plug issue had to be hurting it some.....that's the reason that I'm so amazed at how far I've gotten on my first half of this tank of gas.

I probably will run 1 or 2 more tanks before changing anything....the bad part is that it will be 1000 miles for 2 more tanks to be gone at this rate (which is actually pretty nice)

For me, and probably for you, that is about two weeks? Maybe that long?

Actually it's right at a week. The nice thing is since this tank is bigger I will only go through 1 tank a week instead of 1 1/2 tanks per week with the Integra.

I drive 80 miles a day (minumum) 5 days a week which is 400 miles and then somewhere between 50-100 miles over the course of the weekend assuming we don't take any hour or more long trips.

I meant the 1000 miles for two tanks would take two weeks. So the answer to that question is yes.

My little hatch has a 12 gallon and I get 36-ish with three passengers with a 75/25 mix of highway/city. Total daily is 75 miles so we hit about a full tank per week as well. I try to be gentle with it, but my driving style would be on the slightly aggressive side. Your car should be able to easily match that when running correctly if you are traveling without passengers and practicing basic fuel saving techniques.

I meant the 1000 miles for two tanks would take two weeks. So the answer to that question is yes.

My little hatch has a 12 gallon and I get 36-ish with three passengers with a 75/25 mix of highway/city. Total daily is 75 miles so we hit about a full tank per week as well. I try to be gentle with it, but my driving style would be on the slightly aggressive side. Your car should be able to easily match that when running correctly if you are traveling without passengers and practicing basic fuel saving techniques.

That's what I'm hoping. Last time it took around 13 gal to fill it and I'd driven around 350ish miles. If I can hit 450 miles on a 13 gallon fill this time then I'll be getting around 34.5mpg which would be awesome for the heavy accord (and my wallet).

I seem to be getting 26-28 mpg city in the Prelude, it's usually around 300 miles or over when I fill up and I almost always seem to be putting 11 gallons in it when I do. Not nearly as good as the 35-38 city I get in the del Sol (which is now being a b*tch), but nowhere near as bad as the 19-23 MPG that it's "supposed" to get.

All these high numbers yall are speaking about make me :crazy:

So far, two full tanks through the 3.0CL and im avg. 19.5 mpg. Only getting around 240miles. Im also not running below a 1/4 tank, but i refuse to go any lower than that before filling up with the "gas crisis"(read as, dumbass people putting 1-2 gallons of gas in their car every day causin all the stations to run out by 2pm) here in GA.

That's what I'm hoping. Last time it took around 13 gal to fill it and I'd driven around 350ish miles. If I can hit 450 miles on a 13 gallon fill this time then I'll be getting around 34.5mpg which would be awesome for the heavy accord (and my wallet).

It get between 33 to 34 mpg on my 95 Accord wagon 5pd (mostly highway at 70 to 75 mph). The best things that I have found to maintaining the mpg to that level are:

1. Driving style

2. Keeping up the general maintenace (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter)

3. Keep the EGR ports clean (they are real easy on your car)

4. Keep the injectors clean (I like to use BG44K injector cleaner). You can often obtain this at a dealer, but you may have to look around. Call Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Kia, who every... Eventually you should find some parts department that carries it. I have never seen it available at a general parts store.

There are a lot of other factors though, so many that we could all go round and round on the topic until one of us passes away from old age. Those factors include, but are not limited to:

1. Is the car a manual or auto

2. Where in the country you live (different regions of the conutry, state by state, can vary in what the fuel additives they are using and the amounts that they add). If we were all using the same fuel from the same station then comparison at the level would be easy.

3. The climate in which we drive

4. The type of tire you are riding on

5. The arodinamics of your vehicle (i.e. the arodinamics of a sedan vs. a wagon)

6. and of course modifications to the car air or fuel intake system

7. and many more that we could grow old talking about

My wifes 95 Accord EX sedan always got less mpg then my wagon, but her driving style is different and she drives very little highway miles. Not to mention the arodinamics of the two cars are different.

Anyway, mpg is hard to debate because there are so many factors involved. Bottom line with each car is to try and keep up with the general maintenance and try various other things when practiable to try and increase the mpg's of your vehicle.

At least that is how I feel...

It get between 33 to 34 mpg on my 95 Accord wagon 5pd (mostly highway at 70 to 75 mph). The best things that I have found to maintaining the mpg to that level are:

1. Driving style

2. Keeping up the general maintenace (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter)

3. Keep the EGR ports clean (they are real easy on your car)

4. Keep the injectors clean (I like to use BG44K injector cleaner). You can often obtain this at a dealer, but you may have to look around. Call Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Kia, who every... Eventually you should find some parts department that carries it. I have never seen it available at a general parts store.

There are a lot of other factors though, so many that we could all go round and round on the topic until one of us passes away from old age. Those factors include, but are not limited to:

1. Is the car a manual or auto

2. Where in the country you live (different regions of the conutry, state by state, can vary in what the fuel additives they are using and the amounts that they add). If we were all using the same fuel from th same station then comparison at the level would be easy.

3. The climate in which we drive

4. The type of tire you are riding on

5. The arodinamics of your vehicle (i.e. the arodinamics of a sedan vs. a wagon)

6. and of course modifications to the car air or fuel intake system

7. and many more that we could grow old talking about

My wifes 95 Accord EX sedan always got less mpg then my wagon, but her driving style is different and she drives very little highway miles. Not to mention the arodinamics of the two cars are different.

Anyway, mpg is hard to debate because there are so many factors involved. Bottom line with each car is to try and keep up with the general maintenance and try various other things when practiable to try and increase the mpg's of your vehicle.

At least that is how I feel...

Good points. Obviously many of those I can't change like climate or aerdynamics (to a point you can I suppose)

I just ran some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner which I've heard good things about. I also just replaced the plugs and wires though I still need to check my air filter. Once I get a good baseline of the car, I'll start a few mods probably first of which will be the radiator block off plate (1/2 plate). Then I may play around with the Warm Air Intake and see if I can route it to look "clean". Then I eventually plan to lower the car which should help some with aerodynamics and may even mess around with making a belly pan to help too.

I've never known an Accord to get gas mileage that good. I would have picked your GSR to have better gas mileage.

42.55 mpg was my best. I was averaging 41 mpg when I was commuting, and mine is bigger than all of your 5th gen's. 650.1 is my best tank. (About 15 gallons in.)

42.55 mpg was my best. I was averagind 41 mpg when I was commuting, and mine is bigger than all of your 5th gen's.

Is yours a manual tranny though? I know that one thing that is hurting me is that I can't coast anymore (don't like the way it feels on the tranny to go from neutral to drive while moving.) With my Integra, I could coast for a good 1.5 miles at a time in 2-3 spots on my way to work and I could actually throw it in neutral almost 2 miles from work (all downhill) and coast nearly all the way to my parking spot. Can't get away with that in the auto.

Have you done anything other than driving style to get that mpg??

Nope, nothing else special, and yes, its a 5-speed. Long coasts you can shut your engine down and restart too. It's basically turning your car into a hybrid manually. You just have to remember you only have about 3 good pumps of the brakes and you lose power steering in those situations. Better with a 5-speed though because you can bump-start instead of turning the key. There's all kinds of stuff you can look at on cleanmpg.com if you're really dedicated. I used to maintain 55 mph (Down from 70, I lost about 10 minutes on an hour commute) and do as much engine off coasting as I could. It was worth it to go from 480 mile tanks to 630 mile tanks. It literally moved my fill-ups to every 5 days instead of 4, which does make a huge difference in my opinion. To each his own though. It is harder in an automatic, but it can be done. I've also done my Ridgeline the same way twice and pulle 24 mpg tanks in that (Up from about 18 or 19). It all comes down to how dedicated you are.

Good points. Obviously many of those I can't change like climate or aerdynamics (to a point you can I suppose)

I just ran some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner which I've heard good things about. I also just replaced the plugs and wires though I still need to check my air filter. Once I get a good baseline of the car, I'll start a few mods probably first of which will be the radiator block off plate (1/2 plate). Then I may play around with the Warm Air Intake and see if I can route it to look "clean". Then I eventually plan to lower the car which should help some with aerodynamics and may even mess around with making a belly pan to help too.

Know anyone with a pipe bender? Thats the way I plan on doing mine! :thumbsup:

What's the inner cooler kit? I thought we wanted things warmer for mpg, cooler for performance.

Don't know anybody with a pipe bender (other than local shops), but I might just get some of that cheapy crush bent exhaust pipe and make it from that and then paint it black.

On occasion with the 98 ex accord we would get 40 or so on mileage. Lifetime average was probably 32/33 for owning the car. It was an auto. Auto vs Manual on fuel mileage really only affects city style driving. Highway driving there is no difference in a 5sd vs auto. Since most of our miles were traveling and long commutes on country state routes we did well with it.

What's the inner cooler kit? I thought we wanted things warmer for mpg, cooler for performance.

Don't know anybody with a pipe bender (other than local shops), but I might just get some of that cheapy crush bent exhaust pipe and make it from that and then paint it black.

I meant the inner cooler piping and couplers only! :thumbsup:

On a good day I get 15 in the ram and I am ecstatic.

Hauling 2500 pounds of scrap computer power supplies in January I got 8 :(

I used to have a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 454 and I'd be lucky for 6. When I moved, I'd have to fill up every trip, and it was only 40 miles one way. A 40 gallon tank just wasn't enough, and that trailer might have been a little loaded down, lol...

I used to have a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 454 and I'd be lucky for 6. When I moved, I'd have to fill up every trip, and it was only 40 miles one way. A 40 gallon tank just wasn't enough, and that trailer might have been a little loaded down, lol...

454 explains it all. Comparable to the 460.

Archived