2000 v6 Engine cracking noise

RichB in AZ

I was guided here by google which seemed to have the solution but I can't find it via the search engine.... anyway...

The engine has this nasty cracking sound that seems to be in time with the ticking of the valves, but happens randomly, not continuously. sort of like this; where t=tick & C = crack.

t,t,C,t,t,t,C,C,t,C,t,t,t,t,t,C... etc does that make sense?

I was wondering if it was something to do with the VTEC on this V6 engine, some wierd heat induced expansion noise or perhaps the fuel injection on one cylinder???

The engine has 80K miles and I have adjusted the valves on it a couple of times, including very recently where they were all spot on. I do have a manual so can follow instructions

Hopefully someone knows the answer and can lead me to the solution.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hi Jeffro

Nope that just sounds like regular valve ticking or belts rolling over pulleys (except for that cold air intake). This is a very pronounced cracking noise over and above the valve tick. The crack is probably 5 times louder than the ticking noise.

I adjusted the valves first at 46K and they were all way opened up .010-.013 inlets and .013-.016 exhaust supposed to be .009 & .012. They opened up again between then and 61K to mostly.010 inlet and .014 exhaust and finally settled down recently @78K.

I definately recommend checking the clearances early, not at 105K like the book says.

If my camera could download, I would post a video somewhere. Trying to get that sorted out via Canon, who just fixed the CCD problem but seem to have disconnected the USB in the process.

Life is a series of problems.

Thanks for the input though

Does this help? There's a video:

6th Gen Accord Ticking

• 1 month later...

I was guided here by google which seemed to have the solution but I can't find it via the search engine.... anyway...

The engine has this nasty cracking sound that seems to be in time with the ticking of the valves, but happens randomly, not continuously. sort of like this; where t=tick & C = crack.

t,t,C,t,t,t,C,C,t,C,t,t,t,t,t,C... etc does that make sense?

I was wondering if it was something to do with the VTEC on this V6 engine, some wierd heat induced expansion noise or perhaps the fuel injection on one cylinder???

The engine has 80K miles and I have adjusted the valves on it a couple of times, including very recently where they were all spot on. I do have a manual so can follow instructions

Hopefully someone knows the answer and can lead me to the solution.

Thanks in advance

Rich

try to adjust your valve train and that should take it away or quiet it down some

Archived