1990 Accord Rough Idle/Shutting Off Problem

Hunng

Hi, i have a 1990 Honda Accord LX 4-door...Ive been having a problem with the idle going up and down (between 1000 and 2500RPM) when idling in park...if i put it in drive...it idles properly.

Well last week, the car started to kill on me...i would drive, get up to about 30-40mph and when i breakdown to come to a stop, the idle would get really rough and once stopped, it usually shuts off. If i let it warm up for a long time (at least 20 min) it will still get really rough, but wont shut down nearly as often.

I have replaced the entire distributor assembly (new dist., cap, rotor, icm, internal coil, new plugs and wires)...i have replaced the IACV...i adjusted timing and idle, i took off the "cold" part of the IACV and cleaned that out...I have used some air intake cleaner int he throttle body...i also took down the main relay and resoldered it.

The problem is still there, i have no idea what to do..the car always starts right up and idles forever...it will accelerate like it always has and runs perfect, the only problem is when im coming into a stop after accelerating or maintaining speed...Im thinking there is sufficient fuel and spark...im thinking its an air or air/fuel problem...any help?

P.S. there is no check engine light...Thanx.

Sounds like you covered all the primary items that can cuase your problem. Other things to look at are:

1. The hoses and connections (potential vac leak)

2. Idle is out of adjustment

3. Alnernator FR signal is out of wack

4. MAP sensor may be giving out incorrect data

5. Faulty injector or injector resistor

6. EGR system may be clogged

Although it seems weird that some of the things listed should throw a code, I have found that that is not always the case. I have seen cars of the 90-97 years with completely clogged EGR ports and they were not throwing a code.

Just some food for thought. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sounds like you covered all the primary items that can cuase your problem. Other things to look at are:

1. The hoses and connections (potential vac leak)

2. Idle is out of adjustment

3. Alnernator FR signal is out of wack

4. MAP sensor may be giving out incorrect data

5. Faulty injector or injector resistor

6. EGR system may be clogged

Although it seems weird that some of the things listed should throw a code, I have found that that is not always the case. I have seen cars of the 90-97 years with completely clogged EGR ports and they were not throwing a code.

Just some food for thought. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for your feedback...i changed the egr valve last year , cant remember when, vac leak sounds right, i just dont know how to find it :( Alt is good, had it tested, idle should be good, i set it when i put in the new dist...map sensor? good call...

This problem is just one of those things that nickel and dime u til u fix it, horrible! Thanx again.

Archived