Rim Sizes

i have a 88 plelude base and i put 18" rims on it with 255/40 on the front and i noticed an extreme loss in acceleration. however, me and my friend were driving side by side one day and my speedometer said i was doin 40 but he said he was doin 45 and on the highway i was doin 100 and he said he was doin 110 to keep up with me. the car came stock with 13" steelies so im thinkin for every inch there is a 1 mph difference? but i thought the bigger the rim the worse top speed too..this stuff ic confising can anyone with intelligence help me?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larger rims = more rotational mass. harder to accelerate. Larger rims also mean more surface area, which covers more distance with less rotation. Whenever you go up in rim size, you should adjust tire size accordingly. 175/70R13 becomes 185/60R14, 195/50R15, 205/50R16, etc. 88 Ludes come with 14" stock?

i have a 88 plelude base and i put 18" rims on it with 255/40 on the front and i noticed an extreme loss in acceleration. however, me and my friend were driving side by side one day and my speedometer said i was doin 40 but he said he was doin 45 and on the highway i was doin 100 and he said he was doin 110 to keep up with me. the car came stock with 13" steelies so im thinkin for every inch there is a 1 mph difference? but i thought the bigger the rim the worse top speed too..this stuff ic confising can anyone with intelligence help me?

yes your 18s are a lot heavier than your stock ones so your acceleration will suffer greatly.

also now since the overall diameter of the wheel/tire is a few inches bigger, it will change the accuracy of the speedometer.

Larger rims = more rotational mass. harder to accelerate. Larger rims also mean more surface area, which covers more distance with less rotation. Whenever you go up in rim size, you should adjust tire size accordingly. 175/70R13 becomes 185/60R14, 195/50R15, 205/50R16, etc. 88 Ludes come with 14" stock?

the base model comes with 13" stock with 185/70 i think? but what size should i get for my 18s

lol yeah i knnow they are too big but i really likee them on my car i used to have 16s but they were spray painted and looked like crap

and random question..if my car does 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds with the steelies on is that quick for a base model?

the reason i got the 18s are cause i liked the way they looked on my car and they were only 200 bucks i know i need smaller rims but when im ready to drop 2 inches ill get new rims

The S is powered by a 2- liter, single overhead cam 4-cylinder engine that develops 104horsepower. With 104hp engine u did 0-60 in 6 seconds there is no way.Even if u have the si you only have 135hp

heres more information

the zero to sixty times and the quarter mile time for both the s and the si

year make model engine 0to60 1/4

1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si 4ws 9.3 16.8

1988 Honda Prelude Si 4WS 9.1 17.1

all information was provided by this website

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm

Archived