clutch kit install

hey everyone this is my first post. have a 91 civic hatch dx with a clutch that is slipping horribly. it would only slip after 2nd gear until today. now it slips in ALL gears under any MODERATE acceleration >_< . anyway i am going to be tackling the job this weekend bymyself and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips, or should i even tackle the job? all the help i could get would be great. thanks

hey everyone this is my first post. have a 91 civic hatch dx with a clutch that is slipping horribly. it would only slip after 2nd gear until today. now it slips in ALL gears under any MODERATE acceleration >_< . anyway i am going to be tackling the job this weekend bymyself and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips, or should i even tackle the job? all the help i could get would be great. thanks

Welcome fellow EF owner! :)

Welcome fellow EF owner! :)

Nice chunk of help there Mikey. :thumbsup:

Oh, Its not a very hard change if you have basic mechanical skills, and some extra time. Not much too it, if you doubt yourself buy a motor manual. It will come in handy eventually especially if your dont know that much about your car.

Tip 1: Take you time.

Tip 2: Make sure all the bolts are off the clutch housing before you start pulling on the transmission.

Tip 3: Put your rear tires on ramp stands and the fronts on jack-stands that are on their highest notch. You will need as much clearance under your car as possible.

Tip 4: Use your spare tire jack to raise the transmission back up.

Tip 5: Make sure your clutch came with the alignment tool.

Tip 6: Take your time.

Tip 1: Take you time.

Tip 2: Make sure all the bolts are off the clutch housing before you start pulling on the transmission.

Tip 3: Put your rear tires on ramp stands and the fronts on jack-stands that are on their highest notch. You will need as much clearance under your car as possible.

Tip 4: Use your spare tire jack to raise the transmission back up.

Tip 5: Make sure your clutch came with the alignment tool.

Tip 6: Take your time.

sounds like it is possible, my main question is will i have to remove the cv axels or anything crazy like that?

sounds like it is possible, my main question is will i have to remove the cv axels or anything crazy like that?

Seriously? :o

J\K yes you will have to remove cv axles, among others! Definitely get a Haynes, Helms, Chilton! (Preferably Helms) :thumbsup:

Seriously? :o

J\K yes you will have to remove cv axles, among others! Definitely get a Haynes, Helms, Chilton! (Preferably Helms):thumbsup:

haha i was pretty sure i was going to have to, i just was asking so im not ripping everything apart and still scratching my head. ive got a book and i drive/break/work on ( little bit) fuel trucks and propane trucks at the company i work at. i have been in on some pretty crazy fixes, just usally its big internationals with bombs strapped to them. (i.e torching bolts underneath a propane truck bleh haha)

haha i was pretty sure i was going to have to, i just was asking so im not ripping everything apart and still scratching my head. ive got a book and i drive/break/work on ( little bit) fuel trucks and propane trucks at the company i work at. i have been in on some pretty crazy fixes, just usally its big internationals with bombs strapped to them. (i.e torching bolts underneath a propane truck bleh haha)

Oh ok! :thumbsup: Really is a 2-4 hour job, but plan on it taking whole day, that way you is proud of yourself, when it is done in less time!! :)

My tips were to add to any written instructions you should already have. I used the Helm Service Manual my first time and went step by step. My tips are not found in any manual I have ever seen and if I knew those things before-hand my first time would not have taken so long.

I know you were joking, it's just funny to see what people's definition of "crazy" is when it comes to working on cars.

10 years ago I would have thought changing a timing belt was crazy. Now, if someone told me I have to change the pin that holds the connecting rod to the piston, I would say that is crazy (as in above my skill level).

Have fun with your clutch, and remember, there is a 200 mile break in period so take it easy. When I changed mine, I had a hard time with the tires breaking loose, a new clutch "grabs" really hard.

okay heres what to do.

loosen lugs, raise car, drain transmission, take off tires, un bolt lca and suspension fork, pull axle out of the trans. put jack under trans, disconeect all wiring, and clutch lines, unbolt trans from motor, unbolt trans from mounts, drop trans, unbolt clutch from motor, unbolt flywheel from motor, get flywheel resurfaced, reinstall flywheel, install new pilot bearing, install new throw out bearing, install new clutch using alignment tool, use white lithium grease on transmission piolt, install transmission, hook everything back up, reinstall axles, refill transmission, put tires back on, drop car, drink beer, call it a day. for a first timer prob going to take you 4-8 hours by yourself, 2-4 with a friend, 2-3 wit a friend who knows what they are doing.

okay heres what to do.

loosen lugs, raise car, drain transmission, take off tires, un bolt lca and suspension fork, pull axle out of the trans. put jack under trans, disconeect all wiring, and clutch lines, unbolt trans from motor, unbolt trans from mounts, drop trans, unbolt clutch from motor, unbolt flywheel from motor, get flywheel resurfaced, reinstall flywheel, install new pilot bearing, install new throw out bearing, install new clutch using alignment tool, use white lithium grease on transmission piolt, install transmission, hook everything back up, reinstall axles, refill transmission, put tires back on, drop car, drink beer, call it a day. for a first timer prob going to take you 4-8 hours by yourself, 2-4 with a friend, 2-3 wit a friend who knows what they are doing.

alright well sounds like this will be a blast haha oh well it needs to get done thanks for the info

As cmgogo mentioned, BEER... That is the best thing about work at home. I wish I could drink beer in the shop, but that would rpobably look bad. I wonder if he is ever going to get back to us to let us know how he made out. I am glad you guys told him to put the axles back in after telling him to take them out :crazy: . Hopefully he gets them all the way in so that they don't pop out when he starts down the road. :devil: I would love to be around to see that. It takes me 2.5 hours to replace the clutch and take the trany apart to replace the nose bearing on those cars, start to finish. I guess as far as trying your hand at doing your first clutch job he certainly has a good car to learn on.

I only resurface the fly wheel if it is groved, otherwise we scuff it with coarse sandpaper followed by baretex. The nose bearings like to go bad on those tranies. I guess we should have mentioned to him to take apart the transmission housing and pull the gear assembly, tap out the old nose bearing and throw in a new one while he had the trany out. Oooops...

As cmgogo mentioned, BEER... That is the best thing about work at home. I wish I could drink beer in the shop, but that would rpobably look bad. I wonder if he is ever going to get back to us to let us know how he made out. I am glad you guys told him to put the axles back in after telling him to take them out :crazy: . Hopefully he gets them all the way in so that they don't pop out when he starts down the road.:devil: I would love to be around to see that. It takes me 2.5 hours to replace the clutch and take the trany apart to replace the nose bearing on those cars, start to finish. I guess as far as trying your hand at doing your first clutch job he certainly has a good car to learn on.

I only resurface the fly wheel if it is groved, otherwise we scuff it with coarse sandpaper followed by baretex. The nose bearings like to go bad on those tranies. I guess we should have mentioned to him to take apart the transmission housing and pull the gear assembly, tap out the old nose bearing and throw in a new one while he had the trany out. Oooops...

well everyone, it is done. a few things had to be addressed...speedo cable didnt get put all the way but that was simple enough, distributor may not have gone back exactly where it should have been, there were some bogging issues at first start up but that might have something to do with alternator and belt as well but it works fine now bleh . all in all if i had know what i was doing going into the job it probably wouldnt have taken more than 4 hours, but a long weekend isnt so bad for first time i think. :- well thanks guys for all the tips and help!!! i just hope i wont have to ask for any for a while haha

well everyone, it is done. a few things had to be addressed...speedo cable didnt get put all the way but that was simple enough, distributor may not have gone back exactly where it should have been, there were some bogging issues at first start up but that might have something to do with alternator and belt as well but it works fine now bleh . all in all if i had know what i was doing going into the job it probably wouldnt have taken more than 4 hours, but a long weekend isnt so bad for first time i think.:- well thanks guys for all the tips and help!!! i just hope i wont have to ask for any for a while haha

Why you remove? :crazy:

Why you remove? :crazy:

just did it cus book called for it for "additional workspace". not to mention i wasnt sure just how far the motor would drop. hahah anyway its been running fine, the battery went dead, (left door open) and i think the alternator had to work a little harder for a few minutes after jump.

just did it cus book called for it for "additional workspace". not to mention i wasnt sure just how far the motor would drop. hahah anyway its been running fine, the battery went dead, (left door open) and i think the alternator had to work a little harder for a few minutes after jump.

You had to remove battery to do tranny, right? :crazy::crazy:

Its funny cause we both have same hatch, and both did clutches at same time! Only I no drink beer! Was drinking hard shiit! :thumbsup:

You had to remove battery to do tranny, right? :crazy::crazy:

Its funny cause we both have same hatch, and both did clutches at same time! Only I no drink beer! Was drinking hard shiit! :thumbsup:

the other funny thing is that mine is the same color blue..well actually a few body parts are gun metal and hood is off of black crx..but yeah they are the same color haha

the other funny thing is that mine is the same color blue..well actually a few body parts are gun metal and hood is off of black crx..but yeah they are the same color haha

Except mine is now gone! :thumbsup:

Archived