Leaking Oil

So, my new accord leaks a little oil which is not suprising for almost 160,000 miles. Is this anything I should worry about (I'm pretty sure it's no biggie since it's a small leak). I can't really tell where it is coming from since it has spread from the wind when driving. I think I'll take a pressure washer and some degreaser to the underneath, then leave the car running and see if I can spot where it's coming from. I also might try running a little bit of stop leak and see if that will thicken it up enough to stop since it's small.

yeah once its on a hoist buddy , it will be easy to pin point.

lets have a pool , WHERES HUNGS OIL LEAK , lol.

im gonna guess and say its your oil pan leaking.

It honestly looks like the oil pan gasket to me, but there is oil higher than that too. It's possible that wind is throwing it around though when on the highway.

I know it's not the Valve Cover gasket because it's not that high and no oil on header or IM.

I just hope it's not the rear main seal or headgasket.

if its a rear main seal , there will be oil comming out of the little square hole where tranny meets block. directly under.

if its a front main seal , oil will be leaking from the bottom timing cover , theres actually a hole there too to let it out.

if the oil pan is leaking , youl know it by looking under it , haha.

if the dizzy o ring is leaking , youl most likely have oil running down the front of the engine/tranny pretty much where they meet.

if the valve cover is leaking , there will obvisouly be oil on the head between the valve cover and block.

if the valve cover spark plug seals are leaking , youl plugs will have oil on them above where they meet the head when you take them out.

those are the most common leaks.

I'm going to guess it's either

Dizzy O ring, Rear Main Seal, or Oil Pan. It's kind of messy under there right now, but most of the drip seems to be coming closer to the side of the engine where the block and tranny meet. Hopefully it's just the Dizzy, if not, is the Rear Main Seal hard to replace? I'm guessing it would be just pulling the tranny (auto btw)

97 Accord..... I would gues any or all of the following, valve cover gasket, CAM seal, oil pan and of course, let's not over look the oil pressure sending unit. If there is oil coming from around the oil filter, then look above there and see if there is oil above there. If so you should see a single wire and black rubber boot which the wire goes into. That is your oil pressure sending unit. Dealers stock the part and they always leak at some point on the older Accords. If it is that, the part usualy runs 10 to 14 at the dealer.

Drumroll.......................and the winner is.....................

Turtlehead.

Had my mechanic look under the car while doing the inspection and he traced it up to the oil pressure sending unit. Cost $11 and he didn't charge me labor. He was laughing about it and wondering if the people traded in the car because of the oil leak when it was an $11 fix.

Now I need to get under there and clean since a dirty undercarriage will drive me nuts.

Archived