omg someone plz help with this problem

88prelude

okay anyway... i was driving earlier today all normal like and i turn into my neighborhood and all the sudden when i give my car gas it boggs down like plugs arent firing and when i went to the beach today it wouldnt start for like 2 hours ( this is an 88 prelude carb. 5 speed) so i had a friend of mine bring me to autozone to have the external coil tested but they said it was fine.. i put the coil back in and turned the car over for like a minute straight and it finallly started but its still bogging down but the higher the RPM's the more gas i can give it and it wont bogg down...i had the whole distributor replaced under 10000 miles ago and its got all new wires and 4-tipped plugs so...

SOMEONE PLZ HELP!!!

i was told the 2 parts (the names of them are misplaced in my mind atm.) inside the distributor could have gone bad but i really dont wanna mess with them and they are freakin expensive

i was told it could also be the fuel pump...

but idk...btw im not stupid when it comes to cars so you can use big words with me

any help/suggestions are much appreciated

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditch the +4 plugs. Run standard coppers or platinums if you must. Pull the plugs, check their condition. Do this and report back. If they're truly fouled, you're either running rich, or burning way too much oil.

Spark:

Do what he said^^

Fuel:

You're right about the fuel pump but don't forget about the emissions system as well: get your ear down on the intake manifold and listen for vaccum leaks, you should be able to hear a faint hissing if you have a leak.

well i am running rich..very rich and idkl why

i doi have my cat removed but i doubt that has anything to do with it

and are those plugs really that bad? and suggestions on what kind/brand of plugs to buy?

and how would i know for sure if the plugs are really shhot completely?

and im not burning any oil...but there is some black smoke out my exhaust when i start the car but other than that it runs clean

NGK BPR6ES or something like that. Don't remember exactly. If you can't get NGKs, then Densos will work as well. As for your fouled plugs, it is a 20 year old car, have you done a compression test to see if you're blowing by the rings? This would cause an oil burn, and fouling of plugs.

well im not burning any oil...and the crappy quad tipped plugs were the problem i went up to autozone and got some NGK standards for 2 bucks a peice car runs awesome...i was gonna get the NGK iridium plugs but they were outta stock

NGK ftw.

as far as running rich check your float valve, it may need to be adjusted.

what and where is the float valve

and i also have another question...whenever i downshift my cars exhaust pops ...what could that be caused by...someone said i need to adjust the air flow to the carbs

what and where is the float valve

and i also have another question...whenever i downshift my cars exhaust pops ...what could that be caused by...someone said i need to adjust the air flow to the carbs

Sounds like a backfire. Unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Not having a cat will do that. You can eliminate it by getting that carb tuned right, or putting the cat back on.

Sounds like a backfire. Unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Not having a cat will do that. You can eliminate it by getting that carb tuned right, or putting the cat back on.

it is backfires....but it did it before i had my cat removed

• 2 weeks later...

my car is very loud because i have the cat removed and the muffler is a 1 in dual out silverline resonated muffler

here is the link to the muffler i have on my car it is the 4th one down on the list

http://www.silverlineexhaust.com/Silverlin...lers/index.html

I'm amazed it hasn't been said yet, but running without a cat will cause you to run rich and in some cases (coupled with other mods) very rich.

Do everybody a favor and put a cat back on. It will sound better, probably help or fix your problem and won't kill all the baby whales and sea lions.

And to my knowledge, the NGK's and Denso's are pretty much identical, but yeah, NGK's would be my first choice.

my car is very loud because i have the cat removed and the muffler is a 1 in dual out silverline resonated muffler

here is the link to the muffler i have on my car it is the 4th one down on the list

http://www.silverlineexhaust.com/Silverlin...lers/index.html

I would guess the backfire is due to the cat/muffler combo. Most performance mufflers will backfire on motors this small, and many times on pushrod V8s also

I'm amazed it hasn't been said yet, but running without a cat will cause you to run rich and in some cases (coupled with other mods) very rich.

Do everybody a favor and put a cat back on. It will sound better, probably help or fix your problem and won't kill all the baby whales and sea lions.

And to my knowledge, the NGK's and Denso's are pretty much identical, but yeah, NGK's would be my first choice.

it sounds alot better without the cat...i get alot more ricer sound outta the car and i noticed an increace in power without the cat

well i was told by a few different people/mechanics that my carbs need to be adjusted forr the backfiring to stop

You do know that all motors need a certain amount of back pressure to function and run properly?

You do know that all motors need a certain amount of back pressure to function and run properly?

i was told by the mechanic that cut my cat out that since i have a pipe running all the way back to a resonated muffler will not harm the motor and i have enough back pressure

i was told by the mechanic that cut my cat out that since i have a pipe running all the way back to a resonated muffler will not harm the motor and i have enough back pressure

You has stock piping still as well? Stock diameter?

You has stock piping still as well? Stock diameter?

nope...2" all the way back...or 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 idr im pretty sure its 2" from the flex pipe i still get stock headers cause its impossible to find them for the base carbbed model

Archived