Rookie(me) Replaced Brakes, Now Smoking!

bill casey

Hi,

Looks like a great forum. I have a '95 Civic that I really like! I replaced the front brake pads tonight, took it for a test drive and the driver side wheel was smoking and very hot when I returned!

Also, while I still had the front of the car in the air. I put the car in drive and watched the passenger side wheel spin. It would stop when the brakes were applied. The driver's side wheel wasn't spinning, but I watched the outer pad closely, and it went in and out as the brakes were applied and released.

The driver's side is the side that was smoking. Thanks for any replys!

Are you positive that you got the brakes seated properly in the calipers? Possibly warped rotors that are contacting the pad??

Hi,

I'm beginning to think that it's the pads that are hung up and maybe they aren't seated properly.

Is there anyway to check this before you put the caliper back on?

Thanks for any replys!

Hi,

I'm beginning to think that it's the pads that are hung up and maybe they aren't seated properly.

Is there anyway to check this before you put the caliper back on?

Thanks for any replys!

I can't say that there is a way to check it, but it should slide all the way down and look level when seated. You might slide the caliper off the rotor and check....shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes to check that.

Did you clean them with brake cleaner some pads and rotors have that protective stuff on there and chemicals left on them while there are being produced.

Every time I change my brakes I clean them with some brake cleaner and I have never have a problem with them.

I just got back in from another round of taking the wheel off, taking the calliper apart, reassembling everything.

This time, I smoothed the surfaces of the clips.

And decided that the caliper piston is definitely NOT seized. However I did notice a difference between the two calipers. The side that is working can be opened and closed by hand, in other words the two sections of the caliper slide back and forth on the "pins" with the rubber boots on them.

The drivers side (that doesn't work) wont allow me to do this.